Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22562 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
Sammons I saw what you said on the other thread and I agree. It's a big task but somehow it gives me more places to make progress.

Today I got the band saw dialed in. The new blade and the new urethane tires wouldn't track. I quit in disgust last night. I tried something new. I read the manual for the saw.  :o  It needed more adjustment because the new tires have no crown of their own and I think the wider blade played a part too. It is a 3/8" with 6 TPI. I'm still looking for a 10-12 TPI. I have a 1/2" 14 TPI but don't know if I could get that one to track. It would have an issue with the guides. I got the saw working today and made a few cuts on some scrap wood. I'm pleased with the little saw. I think it will do fine. I need some practice and knowledge. I had a hard time seeing the pencil line on the old wood. I'll use cleaner wood and put more light by the saw. I ordered the Fisher Chevrolet body book Mike mentioned a while back. There should be good info in it even though Fisher didn't make the open car bodies. A lot will be the same.

My son and I are also drilling and tapping a new flywheel for a 10" clutch and pressure plate. I don't think my adapter will clear and 11". I don't need that much clutch or weight. We spent most of Saturday measuring and deciding which route to take. Maybe the mill and his rotary table. We can at least measure to 0.00001" that way. Whether we can drill and tap to that remains to be seen. I'm doubtful but I also doubt the wheel is that close. We'll check it. He had to got back to SoCal for work today so we'll do that when he gets back.

The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »
my saw has one of those RED LASER LINES that project onto the wood to keep it straight.  Even then its really difficult to see and sometimes I use close-up special model building reading glasses.

I also use a small light in a flexible shaft to be able to position the light perfectly.  Brightness outside light and other factors make seeing difficult.  It gets more diff when the saw up and down head is down almost right on top of the wood .  Blocks the view. 

Keeping sharp mentally is important and let the blade cut the wood, do not force it.   That old wood , blade should zip right thru, new hardwood is more difficult .

If you need to use steel ruler to make sharp pointed sharpie pen lines , helps in seeing what you doing.

Found some pictures of a undergoing resto in Mass for the interior, altho for a 34-35 roadster, what you can see helps understand where your heading.  Note gentle slope of floor board that fits into the sill rabbit.

mike lynch..........HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2020, 11:35:28 PM »
Good tips on the saw. I have a couple of adjustable lights that will work. The laser sounds interesting.
I'm starting to see the similarities of how these things go together, Thanks for the pictures.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
I changed my bandsaw blade today...Think that I know what was wrong. Just pulled the old one of with my hands, went to put the new one on and had to really watch that I did not red on things. Boy was it sharp!

Got it on and guides adjusted, quite a feat for the second day after cataract surgery. Not going to try that again! I have forgotten how tight to make the blade, so went looking for my manual, and you know how that works.....couldn't find it. BUT, I found the pics of Ray Hollands 1925 roadster wood that I had borrowed to make patterns. I will try to put them up. Will probably have to come back to put discriptions on them.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2020, 02:27:57 AM »
A sharp tool is a wonderful thing. My instructions for my little Black & Decker said to remove the plate in the table where the blade passes through, raise the guide all the way up, and tighten the blade until you can't push it sideways to touch the table. That may be right for a 1/8" or 1/4" blade but with the 3'8 on mine it was too tight. It doesn't slip, it stays on, and cuts straight. I think it was putting too much stress on the bearings.  I know it felt like it was near stripping the threads in the adjuster.
When I post pictures on the HAMB and here I put them there first. I can load them directly from my desktop there  buy drag and drop and I can load them by draggling them from the HAMB post to here by dragging them to the brackets here. Captions on the pictures would help but it can take a lot of time to get them in the right place.
I see some there that is like mine and some that's different I think. I see some I don't recognize. The floor, seat, and seat back is still hard for me to figure out. Quite a bit of mine is missing. More than I first thought. I still have a place I need to search.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
I got the wood woking bench uncovered yesterday so there is a place to work. Now I have to bring some pieces back up here and get started.
The book on Fisher Body repair that Mike recommended arrived today and I am learning a lot. Though the open car bodies were not made by Fisher the general knowledge needed is the same. The illustrations and text is of far better quality than these reproduction manuals tend to be. It's well worth the price. Each page has watermarks so I don't think I can post any of it here, don't know those rules. But I can give a rundown of what I'm doing as I go. Only a couple of pages into it but I'm noticing differences. As I go I may make a few changes that I feel will make my project better. Mike, Thanks for telling me to get this.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:58:34 PM by sixball »

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »
Main thing is the book is covering the era your working in..........1926---1930.

There is always info that can be used , its a chance to see what might have been used in that era.

FISHER BODY.  not foster.   

I do not know , nor have I looked into it if the open cars of that earlier era prior too 1929 were made by the outside source because the open cars were a very substantial part of the production.

Will do some poking around and see what I can dig up.

mike

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2020, 06:39:47 PM »
Thats a nice bench Sixball!  Those manuals can be a real help. I learned years back, if I got a project car that was already apart, get an assembly manual. Nothing worse that scratching your head wondering what goes where and if you even have that piece.

You'll be at it soon now. 👍

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
I went back and edited that last post. I fat fingered some of it. Fisher?/Foster being one thing. Actually that is some of the auto spell crap.
The early open cars were not Fisher. There is a lot of difference, at lest with what is shown. There are many more metal pieces. Probably in the later open cars too. But the guys repairing the closed cars were the same guys working on the open ones.

Yeah, the bench is cool and begging to be used. Maybe tomorrow I can play a little.  :)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »
To quote one of my heroes , Sergeant Alvin York, "I ain't much for this practizin". I tend to jump in a screw a lot of expensive things up before I develop the skills I need. But I did a bit of what I can legamently call practice because it wasn't a finished car part. A few weeks ago some serious wind blew a porch rocker into the side of the house and broken of the rockers. So.... if I fix that I can call it practice for the car, right? It did in fact show the need for using hardwood, a drum sander, and better vision. I finished rocker repair yesterday and I finished bottling a total of 45 bottles of Prickly Pear wine today. There is now an official Plan B. :D The worst think that can happen here is that the rocker breaks again or I run out of wine before next fall. The friggin' Chevy should be a roller by then. Oh, I should say there was about 3/4 of a bottle of wine left and I had to decide what to do with it. :rolleyes: I don't know why the last photos are so blurry. :(

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »
Hone your skills on the rocker....transfer those skills to the car...But! No wine with the power tools :o
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2020, 09:00:09 PM »
The wine can be a reward for when things go right or solace when the don't, but I drink Coke or Coffee in the shop. :)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
Good rule to follow, alcohol and tools don't mix well.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »
Still chipping way here, pun intended. The belts I received for my grandad's table saw were not the ones I ordered. I ordered 24" and got 95". I don't have that much adjustment.  ::)  I have figured out where all of the recognizable wood pieces I have go and how the connect to each other. I'm starting the search for wood. My cabinetmaker friend said Ash is available in Reno. I'll check when businesses reopen. He has also suggested Baltic Birch as a possibility for glue up for the sills which are the largest pieces I need. It is a special kind go plywood made in Europe mostly for furniture. It is much stronger, more stable, and very workable. It has great screw holding ability and does have exterior uses.

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/woodworking-101/tips-tricks/your-ultimate-guide-to-baltic-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »
I just got home with 3 sheets of Baltic Birch plywood. HEAVY stuff. I ordered one sheet each of 1",3/4", & 1/2" Tuesday. TH 1"&1/2" came yesterday and the 3/4" came this morning. My cabinetmaker friend got from one of his suppliers. These turned out to be full 4'X 8' sheets not the 5'x5' I read about on lune. We cut four 5" wide pieces from th 1" sheet and two from the 3/4" sheet and then cut the 1/2" sheet into two 4'X4' sheets. I still had a hard time with the rest of the 1' & 1/2" sheets. I did not see a single flaw or gap in the wood in any of the cuts we made. This kind of splits the wood approach between original and replacing with steel. A major positive for me is that solid old Chevy door closing sound. The thicknesses are really metric and not quite fractional detentions. A 1" with a '3/4" is really 1 5/8". A 1" and a 1" is really 1 7/8". So I'll glue up the four 1"x 5" x 8' to make the sills from. I'll also look onto making them full length and building in the kickup,

The new pressure washer pump is here so blaster test will resume. Still waiting on some table saw parts but some are here. Somehow my clean workplace disappeared again. If I can just get some time I'll get back on this, OH yea I forgot, I can't use that excuse anymore.  :o

My camera is not working but I'll get some pictures soon.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal