Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22568 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »
A friend was killed in a freak accident on his way home from the bar Sunday night. I went down this morning to check on his lady, who is a former student of mine. Sad deal and senseless.

I stopped by the roadster on the way home mostly to pick up more stuff to bring back to work on. I checked out some wood Ideas and see a way forward. I decided to use other pistons that I have and not butcher the nice forged Ross custom pistons. It won't noticeably effect the engine and I can use the Rosses in another block to build a hotter engine later. I really don't know if it's worth have a badly scattered hot rod project. Once we sell get into the chassis it'll pay off, I hope.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Sorry about your friend, and other friends lately.  It seems to be happening a lot anymore the older we get, and even some younger folks.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Sixball.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2020, 11:59:44 PM »
Thanks, He made a bad choice and several peoples lives will never be the same. Thankfully he was the only one injured.

I didn't get any real work done on the car today. Just a little parts cleaning and a couple of planning issues modified. Maybe something tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:07:40 AM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
I've spent quite a bit of time in the last coupe of days going back through this thread and my build thread on the HAMB. Just reading a lot of this again and looking at the pictures clears things up a lot. I'm still trying to drag my band saw out from the back of the machine shed and find out what's wrong with my table saw. I'm gathering wood to use in making patterns. Just regular old lumber a this point. In fact some is OLD lumber. I realized I'm making some of this too hard. Looking at it one piece at a time there are some really simple pieces and only a few are really complicated. Their relationship is the tough part. When I get my tools set up I'm ready to jump in. The worst that can happen is that I end up with a lot of small pieces of firewood before I end up with a Chevy.  ;D

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2020, 07:41:46 PM »
That's the way to think of it! Yu gota stay warm! Besides practice will get you reacquainted with your tools. Sometimes you just cannot do some cut the way that you thought. Sometimes you get an idea and it works out easier than expected!

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
Sixball Sorry for the loss of your friend

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2020, 01:23:22 AM »
GG2, I'm trying to get the things zinging around in my head turned into something that moves the car along. I got the band saw out today and ordered some new wheel tires for it and am looking for some blades. It is so old Black & Decker doesn't have any parts. I have to go back to see what tooth count blade Mike said to use I think it was 10 to 12.  Do you know what the widest part if the main sill measures across? Is a 2x6 wide enough? Mine are down the hill.

62131, Thanks, We're dropping like bar flies.  ::) When I got up this morning I thought that this June I will have slept for 25 years!  :o Rip Van Sixball.  8)

I found it on page 3. Mike said 8 to 10 TPI for the blade.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:33:16 AM by sixball »

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
Six Ball the widest on the sills is just under 5". Thickness 1 3/4". (corrected...do to idiotic mistake)

I'll have to check the tooth count that I am 'trying to use'. I tried to block out the left and right belt rails (patterns) day before yesterday. The first one went OK, but the second one went bad. Kept losing my blade, and the bottom of the blade was wondering way off. (1/2") It was dark enough under the table that I could not see what was wrong, but I'll bet that it broke the bottom blade guide. I broke the top guide a few months ago trying to block out some aluminum, replaced it with an 'improved roller guide'. We having fun yet? ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:07:36 PM by grumpy gaby 2 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »
GG2, Thanks. So I'll start with a 2x6 and see where it takes me. Aluminum is too tempting to use our wood tools on. :o

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2020, 04:00:47 PM »
You can use more teeth per inch if you like ( fine ), up to you.  If the wood has moisture and not dry might tend to gum up the teeth.  I use my machine with 6-8 teeth to cut aluminum as it tends to clog up if finer is used.
 Fine 12-18 teeth does nice clean job also.  My home 9" band saw I have an assortment of blades in stock.  Find a seller on ebay that has what you need and generally quantity is available.

Problem with old band saw machines is the parts..  usually drive belts are not available and more. Went to visit a friend today and he was trashing his broken 9" because parts are not available any longer.  Funny thing is these small machines use a variety of different length blades that only fit that brand of machine.

I was just in harbor freight Wednesday , I think they have machines, I was not looking for one.  Prices from them are dirt cheap.  Well turns out $129 and if you have a coupon its less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hmKX1njZjc

mike lynch
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:12:07 PM by madmike3435 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
The blade in mine now is 8 TPI. It is a tiny 1/8 " blade 56 1/8 long. It is an old 10"  Black & Decker with 3 wheels and no parts available. It would probably handle a 1/4" blade. I did find urethane tires for it and blades are available. It has nothing over the Harbor freight. I got it in the late 80s or early 90s and got a matching table saw at the same time. I have the book for the B&D table saw and the Harbor Freight one I have now and they are the same. These are all the newer throwaway machines from that time. I can't find parts for any of them. I did see a used motor for the table saw for $100 + shipping on eBay but for $144 I can get a whole new saw.  I have an older table saw and a jig saw I got from my grandad and I can find parts for both of those because of the component nature of their construction. As long as the basic housing hold up I can fix them.
I have no problem with Harbor Freight it not like I'm trying to make a living with their tools and I really think a lot of them have gotten better over the years.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
A few years ago I converted a band saw my buddy was throwing out to use a treadmill motor....to make a long story short I haven't used it for a couple years now and just don't need it.  If it or it's parts can help any of you folks...let me know...just collecting dust right now.

Here is a video I did back in 2012 of the band saw conversion. The band saw in the video is the one I want gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wLX_l_OdQ
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
Its easier to control a wide blade than a scroll type thing blade, especially when making a long cut.  Let the sharp blade do the work, don't push hard on the wood, especially a hard wood........sharp blade and steady.
A belt sander is really helpful to have to clean up the band saw cut.

Home depot markets the RIGID brand of tools.  A really neat tool to have is their oscillating belt sander that goes up and down and lays flat on its side.  Pull that off and it also takes an assortment of DRUM SANDER ROLLS that also oscillate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69FrqxgXJyI

Looking on kijiji , lawn garage sales or any other place where used or gently used tools can be found.  Pawn shop ?  You will be doing enough woodwork to justify owning it.  Works great on metals also.

mike lynch       HAIRBALL
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:21:20 PM by madmike3435 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
EDNY, that is interesting. I was talking to my son about treadmill motors yesterday. I had no idea it was so easy. They sound like a very good solution to my power issues here. I wish your gaby saw was closer. I[t probably cost prohibitive to send it all the way across the country.

Mike I see the skinny blade control problem. I have access to lots of other tools but like working at home. I have a 6"x48" belt and 12" disc sander that I use a lot. If it was horizontal it would be better for this project. There are lots of used tools in this area. It seems like yard and estate sales are full of them.

Lots to think about. Work on tools so I can work on the car.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal