Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22571 times)

madmike3435

• Master
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2020, 08:27:57 PM »
I am watching FANTOMWORKS TV show.   "Against the grain "  broadcast 12-12-2018 58 episode 11

Doing a 51 ford wood and showing how to layer wood strips to create a form shape.  Interesting

mike lynch

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2020, 01:00:00 AM »
I had a '51 Ford woody. It is one I wish I had kept.
I ordered some new band saw blades  and a few more clamps. I took my table saw apart and the motor is toast. The latest version of it is on sale at Harbor Freight for $115. I'll pick one up on my next trip to town.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »
I am watching FANTOMWORKS TV show.   "Against the grain "  broadcast 12-12-2018 58 episode 11

Doing a 51 ford wood and showing how to layer wood strips to create a form shape.  Interesting

mike lynch

A great episode because it did show something a little different.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »
BITCHIN RIDES,  also has a woodie you see in the background, might be some wood learning stuff going to happen there also.  The woodie looks like a 39-40 by the hood top. Its under plastic cover most of the time.  So as they work on it and film it, will all get collected to an individual show .

I am looking forward to it and hoping to learn more.

Just before I got my 35 Chevrolet phaeton, I had been chasing a 1932 ford woodie wagon but the price was way above what I wanted to pay.   Price finally dropped to what I was prepared to pay but somebody from Pittsburg area snapped it up.   

It also had some issues like a fixed in place windshield, side glass in the doors which required wetting finger tips and pushing up on the glass so you could reach the door handle inside .  Early pre 1935 woodies used canvas side windows with snap fasteners to hold them in place.

Please accept my apologies for posting pics of " that other hot rod make"

mike lynch ...   HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »
Beside the '51 Ford I for a short time had two different '40 Ford woodys. I sold one to a friend who tore it apart and sold it still in pieces, The one I had the longest was a Morris Minor Traveler. That was one fun little wagon. I didn't learn much about wood cars from any of them. The Morris was only a few years od when I got it.
 I just ordered some parts from Gary Wallace of Early Chevrolet Parts. He had some things I needed but didn't think I'd find. Mostly things that will add nice details to the roadster. He seems like a good guy and is busy. Good for him. He is in our source list but I first contacted him through a purchase on eBay.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »
Six Ball next time that you are around your wood and have some time, would you check out the rabbit(s)(for the floorboards) on the main sill? I have the location of the rabbits on a 25, but do not think that they are the same for the 26. The front of the first rabbit has to be the same, but I would like to get the dimension to the trailing end, say from the rear of the B pillar along the straight side of the sill. Also, if there is a second rabbit, where does it start and end.
Also, could you get accurate dimensions of the rear sill below the trunk? I got the truck out of the hospital yesterday, so while I was in Walla Walla, I picked up more ash lumber. I am starting to plan out my cuts and start gluing. Thanks!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »
I'm trying to get down there Friday. I need to make a lot of measurements and buy some wood for patterns. These rabbits start at the front of the sill where the metal floor brace meets the sill? It starts with a curved cut? I didn't know what it was for.
I have a new thought about how to get the frame to follow the body line and need to run it by the welder. I also need to make some drawings with measurements. I have about as much now as my head will hold.

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:26 AM »
I understand! I can wait, do some other stuff that needs done. I've got the body part of the trunk hinges cut out, and need to build a jig for welding the pivot boss on. Also have to figure out how to make the slot in the hinge pivot screw when I get to making them.

Like you said, start a list (put everything on it, no matter how small) and start marking them off...… Makes you realize that you are getting things done! Also, a list lets you get a few of those items out of your brain. My wife gets projects that start to over whelm her....I tell her 'you can move a mountain with a spoon!'. Concentrate on the spoon, not the mountain. It seems to help her! Good Luck!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
Good thoughts. As you can tell by now organization is not my strong point. Ass sitting is my forte.  ::)

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
I'm trying to get down there Friday. I need to make a lot of measurements and buy some wood for patterns. These rabbits start at the front of the sill where the metal floor brace meets the sill? It starts with a curved cut? I didn't know what it was for.
I have a new thought about how to get the frame to follow the body line and need to run it by the welder. I also need to make some drawings with measurements. I have about as much now as my head will hold.

Pictures make it much easier to try to understand what your talking about.  I think your referring to the rabbit cuts in the wood sills on the inside towards the trans.  Using my 34-35 chev wood sills as an example.
The cowl inside has foot angle RISER metal panels, that give the front floor to firewall its comfortable angle.  Those stamped metal panels in my parts will hold 1/2" thick floor wood going across and same at the top area where it fits into the inside firewall.

Now what happens is the sills also have that dropped down 1/2" rabbit slots that taper from inside the firewall , down the RISER to the sills, where they taper down to zero to match the wood floor.  Normally they end at the UNDER THE SEAT METAL TRAY that goes across.

That's the purpose of the sill rabbits.  DAMN I had pictures posted of all this either on this site or the termites..

Now all that beautiful cherry wood I cut and fit will not work because the cut wood was meant for a flat floor with 700R4 trans, not the tremec 6 speed stick which is going to require a custom made walnut consul to hide the beast of a trans.  Will still have the cherry floor but will not go side to side.  I have some 1 1/2" wide by 1" tall ash I will fasten to the former reconfigured X member for the cherry to rest on.

Other than all that I have finished the lecarra aluminum center 9 bolt wheel with alder wood.  Sanded it and refinished with 7 coats of Epifanes varnish.  Sanded the aluminum with 400 water paper and will dig out some 600---800--1000 ---1500 to eliminate all scratches.  No polishing, just a nice satin aluminum look.

Custom air cleaners, 7 blade mopar fan, firewall plate, master cylinder remote fill on firewall, side air blockers for beside the radiator to stop air getting by rather forced thru radiator.

The Grant old 70's flat wheel I converted to lecarra 9 bolt style , the metal is getting a special colour and the walnut wood is all refinished in Epifanes varnish and will be installed using the special aluminum screw together rivets on the Phaeton.

mike lynch............HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2020, 05:58:24 PM »
Yes Mike that is a good description of the rabbits in the sill. Some of that is in the piece I don't have butI have the sections  before and after and It's just a few inches long. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Wow Mike, You are making a lot of progress. Glad you will be able to use the Cherry floors with some modifications.

I am going to try to use the stock wood steering wheel I have but size and clearance may nix that. I got the band saw cleaned up today and the new tires on the three wheels. I'll pick up the new blades when I'm out tomorrow. I cleaned the new pistons and removed the pins so I can balance them. The guy who is assembling the engine is getting antsy. I'm not being a good feeder line for these guys. I don't know what they expected. If I can't keep myself busy how can I keep all 3 of us busy. Then there's my son and the cabinet maker.  ;D

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
okay finally found a picture of the sill plate..........its drivers side.  Note the 1/2" wide slot running from nothing to about 1/2" deep.

The angled part at the front the floor boards sit on this......there is a sheet metal stamped plate 3" wide that angles from the foot rest area back. Sits same height as the angled piece.  This system they designed gets the wood to slope back to the UNDER THE SEAT tool tray the floor attaches too.  DAMN wheres those pictures I had this all assembled before.  It was all so clear , even I understood what they were doing. 

The 1 1/2 " wide piece about 15--18" long standing upright is actually the seat base riser.  Seat does not move so this is screwed down to the sill from below.  Took them off.  I still have the 3 piece set of Brazilian walnut it was made of.

A lot of this stuff only makes sense because I have had my coupe and inspected all this from an original setup untouched by prior owner or  me.

It makes sense that these designs would go back to earlier years and be similar.
mike

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2020, 01:52:39 PM »
Your sills look more complicated than mine. I got some pictures Friday that show some wood metal fit and how a couple of the cuts are made to allow it all to happen. A lot is not as precise as I had thought. Precise in relation to yesterday's mill setup to drill new pressure plate holes in a flywheel.

Beginning of floorboard rabbit right sill. Two holes to right of clamp are where metal brace for front floor kicks up to firewall.

Another of same area, tape starts at front of sill. Hole to left of clamp is first body mount hole.

End of floorboard rabbit. The rest is for seat frame I think. Hole is #2 body mount.

Showing missing sill piece beginning in cowl foot on left and going to where metal door sill ends on wood main sill. New wood strip is nailed in place to locate the two pieces from inside straight line on sill.

Another shot of end of floor rabbit measured from front of sill.

Fitting quarter to bottom if sill.

Back metal piece and quarter looking tight. Quarter not braced straight up.

Inside quarter in trunk. Cut in top of sill fits around wheel well area. Holes are #3 & #4 body mounts

Closer look, nice fit. Notch is for vertical wood brace that connects to long S piece in top of Quarter.

Across large trunk area. With trunk lid removed these made small pickups. That may be the reason for the change between '25 & '26. There was an after market bed available.

From the outside.

The metal piece that runs around the front of the set. There is still a small piece of wood screwed to it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:15:21 PM by sixball »

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
its all starting to make sense to you now, that you can see all the pieces put into place.  Helps me understand what it is you have.

The rabbit in the sill up front , the floor wood sits in that and slowly rises up to meet the foot rest angle, there might be a missing piece on the sill itself,  that would raise it up the last 6" or so ???

If you have access to a surface planer, be interesting to run those floor boards thru and also a jointer to make perfect matching edges.   You could use a biscuit joiner saw or  doweled to pull a bunch together with glue.  That original floor may be savable ???   and great conversation piece. 

If you could find some more old boards laying around and be able to included them in your build, that would be neat.    Sounds like character to me !!!!!!!!

mike......................HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2020, 06:30:43 PM »
Mike, I'm glad to hear you talking like that. I have tons, literally, of noce old wood and I think floor boards would be  good use for some of it. I used a lot of old wood when we built our house and i saved all the old siding from our little Tahoe cabin when we remodeled it a few years ago. I is all at least as old as the car. It is not hard wood but I think it would work on the floors fine. I also have some oak flooring I pulled out of my wife's grandfathers home before it was demolished. I can get my cabinet maker friend to plane whatever I need.
You are also right about it starting to make sense. Seeing the relationship of the pieces both wood and metal to each other is a great help. When I first saw this body it was together but in sad shape. By the time I got it it had been roughly taken apart and moved a few times. I'm lucky there is as much as there is.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal