Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22572 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 12:26:04 AM »
Thanks Tom, I'm trying to keep it moving. I have to get the frame beady to go or these guys are going to do it without me.  :o

Mike , Good find. I don't think they would fit mine but that is a good idea.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 07:02:10 PM »
go5t myself locked out of rusty bowtie and until just now figured out old password.

What those metal parts are is COVERS.  Usually there is one for the A post and one for the B post.  They cover up all the nail and screw heads 

They are held on with just 4 wood screws and gives a great clean look.   I would imagine your 26 would also use them ?

mike lynch.............hairball

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »
I don't think the were used on my '26. I have all but one small metal piece. I thing at least one would have survived. I tried to sort out all of the wood today and found there ia more missing than I thought. I'm about 6" short of one complete sill and a foot and a half on the other side. I have all of the trunk floor and quite a bit of the seat frame but a lot is missing. I need to take another look around here. It's been moved around over the years.

The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
have been searching for pictures of older restorations with the doors open to see if I can spot the post covers.  This would be an easily answered question in the VCCA CHAT 1916---1928 Chevrolet section.

Unfortunately I cannot post over there due to ripping some clown apart in a post.

Was just cruising ebay again and found a pair of nice windshield posts and also a real nice r r fender listed on auction.

mike lynch.,,............  HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
Dang Mike, Be careful here I need you!  ;D  The reason I'm doing the wood is so it will show where it should. If it is going to be steel I can save myself some anxiety. I have very nice windshield posts and not running fenders. If you come across a '25 front crossmember, the stampeded one or the right side rear front spring mount let me know.
By the way i think I have found the missing sheet metal piece for below the driver door at "Early Chevy Parts" He is listed in our Chevy Parts Sources at the bottom of this page. His listed parts are about 30 pages and he has others. That is also where I got spring bolts and bushings.I'm looking to to a larger order as he has things I need. He sells the hidden hinges for the early open cars like mine. Not a lot of open car stuff but some.

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2020, 08:25:45 PM »
Did not think you were in market for a fender with design of car your building, but thought I would mention it anyway . The windshield posts are wow really long but looked to be in great shape.

Ya having all that new wood in there with epifanes varnish glowing like a honey dew stick.  The floors will knock your socks off making you want to demand anybody getting into your ride REMOVE THE SHOES !!

I had all the wood flooring in cherry cut and fitted and gorgeous. Then a tragedy struck. 

I decided to put a tremec T-56 six speed stick behind the mock up sbc.  The x member got trashed the floor parts put into the #2 shed while I completely redesigned the chassis.  Unless your going to sit the motor 8" lower it has to stick up into the pass compartment by 6--10".  Motor would have to be a dry sump system and electric fans................no damn way.

Glad you found the rocker panels , damn like Xmas at sixballs.

Don't forget new saw blade for the bandsaw, tighten belt and your off to the races.

mike .............HAIRBALL

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 08:38:29 PM »
Been trying to find this picture of the wood sills for 34-35 chev roadster + phaeton.

They start at the firewall and run all the way back to where the rear quarter panel wheel well starts and the rear fender shapes in.   Your panels don't have this feature, but its general idea.

Note the matching cutouts 2 high and 2 lower back.  This same system should be used in your 26. In my 35 in between the front and rear cutouts is the metal under the seat flooring metal panel.  The rear trunk metal panel nails or screws to the 2nd cross piece.  Behind that would be the final  floor panel.. No reason why those 2 trunk pieces in metal could not be done in wood.

Can you imagine opening up the trunk lid and looking inside at a cherry wood floor all epifanes varnished.

mike lynch........HAIRBALL
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:40:01 PM by madmike3435 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 12:03:15 AM »
Here are some pictures from yesterday.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:08:43 AM by sixball »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 12:07:33 AM »
More:

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
of coarse these will not fit your 26.........but showing you how long they area and how they have areas where 1/2" or more boards would fit into the slots to tie the two sides together and that's how they did it...........most likely for 26 also.

mike

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 07:07:20 PM »
Looking at the pieces for your car and what is left of mine does give me a general idea of how it all works. That is a big deal. Placing the trunk deck boards in place showed me the width between sill in the back. even with some missing from my good sill I figured how to get the right spacing between the fronts and how to get the right contour. I also know I can use the right sill to make the left one. It is coming together in my mind and as I get more into it I'll figure more out. I may have found another source of parts  very near here. I'm checking it ut now.

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »
Well I'm finally on! Thanks EDNY! I guess that I am now part of your Splinter Group. I'll have to go find my tweezers.
I received some Evapo-rust and some citric acid in the mail this morning, going to try each to see how I like them.
Checked with my local hard wood dealer yesterday for white ash (northern, mountain). He had what he calls eastern ash, was saying that ash prices were going up. Didn't get any because I had the wife's newer car....couldn't get 10 footers in.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:57:27 PM by grumpy gaby 2 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
I've been in the mud for several days now repairing broken pipes.. I thought I had it whipped yesterday but it broke in a new spot this morning. It's done now but there is a small leak. I'll get it tomorrow. I haven't been to see the car since I took those last pictures. I've been working on the front axle and springs. I am happy with Evaporust on the small front end parts I've cleaned. I'llget a bunch painted soon. There is a box of parts missing and I'm hoping the rear mount for the passenger side front spring is in it. Still trying to figure out how to make the template for the new frame shape so we can work on the chassis while I'm fussing with the body.

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »
Six Ball asked me to come over to this sight and put up some of the pics that he and I had been taking and sending back and forth!
This for the wood for a 1926 Chevrolet roadster. I hope it helps someone, and also gets comments from the people that know how to do the wood for these old G.M. cars. I have been learning just from trial and error...lots of error! These are old pictures that I had to take new pics of because at this point, I cannot scan. They show the five pieces of wood that came with my roadster. And also some of the guessing J did. The pine sill is patterned from an old 26 coach sill......They are not close.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:18:32 AM by grumpy gaby 2 »

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 12:02:09 PM »
I'll ad that the doors had some wood. And I found a second set of doors with some wood. I got some of the door wood copied but nut much else except for the kick down and guessing at the seat back.
I was a member of the VCCA at that time and started talking to Ray Holland. He was the 1925 advisor and had a very nice 25 roadster. Anyway, I ended up borrowing some of Ray's old wood to make my patterns from. The 25 and 26 are the same as far back as the back of the seat. So I gained a hole lot of info by assembling his old wood.... It did not go together like this old farm kid had thought!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal