Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22585 times)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
I know that FISHER BODY did not make the bodies for Chevrolet open cars ; roadster, phaeton ,roadster pickup 1929--1935.   These were produced by an outside supplier directly to the assembly line, Hercules -Campbell .

I have not seen anything written about earlier than 1929 open car bodies as to who made them............like the 25-26 roadster your dealing with.  These books are always worth having and being able to take information written in them and use it in repairing your wood framing.

NOTE, the main sill wood that the body sits on will not go over the rear end but will stop there, or it should.

mike lynch...........HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
Yes , I agree that little information is out there  dealing with wood for these older Chevys. The basic wood working techniques used in all that old coachwork must be similar. Since I know nothing learning something would be a good thing.

From the measurements I made my cut off frame ends 4 1/2" to 5" before the end of the body. That will be taken care of during the rest of the frame modification. It will end at the back of the body. The rear suspension will be quarter elliptics so I don't need the long rear frame rails. Going down today to get more measurements and pictures. I'll get the wood out of the cowl and the metal off of the back piece and get a better look at how it all fits back there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 02:08:05 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2020, 12:38:17 AM »
I spent most of the day taking wood and sheet metal apart. Just little stuff. I figured out what some of the wood is and found thatI had some I thought was gone. The pieces between the trunk and back of passenger area art there and good for patterns. There is a pice gone from the good sill,Passenger side but it will be east to complete any way. I took a lot of pictures but lucky for you there was too much back light so they didn't come out. I checked a lot of measurements and held pieces together. Quarters, doors, cowl all work out to the right places on the frame. Mounting holes line up. All in all a good day but I'll have to retake a lot of pictures.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
all good news of the existing pieces in good enough shape to be copied.............going to save you a lot of time and grief if you had to imaginer them !

Now to find a wood supplier who can supply you with some white ash or northern ash.

Pictures of the parts be nice to see when ready.

mike lynch
HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2020, 12:19:40 PM »
Yeah, Mike it was a pretty good day. What seemed to be a random pile of old wood is giving up it's secrets. The A pillar with the door hinges that looked so solid is soft and rotten. My pocket knife went right into it. It may fall apart on removal. The door wood is quite solid. A couple of screws appeared to be holding tight but when I got them to turn the rust and old wood crumbled. I got them out but they didn't unscrew. I could not believe how tight and solid the sheet metal under the passenger door was attached. It was tough to get the many nails out. The metal fit tight and still had the black primer on the inside with just some surface rust. The wood under it was like new, clean, solid, light color. I was a little spooked at some of the complexity of combined shapes. A lot of measuring,figuring and cutting to come. The cabinetmaker is in and he says white ash in available and not outrageous in price. He also made the distinction between northern and southern ash, also a Japanese variety that he said is almost  like balsa wood.

I'll start on my subfloor template next and get a little practice before starting on patterns and actual parts. I was also surprised to seethe taper on the outside of the sill from top to bottom that fits the body angle top to bottom. Close observation is a must.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
Main thing is to be able to get them apart intact, rotted or not.  Think about using coated DECK SCREWS to tighten parts up in order to remove them.

You can probably inject something into the wood when its crumbly.  I just don't know the name of a product, most likely a google search will bring up a few recommendations and maybe even a few you tube videos.

I found that some were not wood screws but machine screws that went into a metal ring that was tapped with thread and nailed to the other side of the wood.  Funny I just bought 6 the other day NOS on ebay.
They are basically the same as T nuts but held in with nails instead of the 3 barbs.

I have 3 or 4 small tools for removing small nails, one is called a CATS PAW. Usually the head snaps off then out with the small vice grips to take another attack at it.

Your cabinet maker buddy is right, white ash is not an expensive wood but I has a lot of quality features not present in OAK or Maple .   GM used mostly ash in the 30's.  Auto makers would use the best product for the cheapest and easiest to get price.
The JAP ash wood that's like balsa, light weight.............you have to google it.  When I build structures for model railroads I use BASSWOOD , never balsa.

If you go back into my posts there is a picture of the SILLS for my roadster posted.

mike lynch ........HAIRBALL

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »
I found the SHAZZBOTT thread deep in the bowls of RUSTY BOWTIE site and here is a link to the page on here.  There is 8 pages of stuff just on my 35 roadster build, still going on

http://rustybowtie.com/index.php?topic=860.0

mike lynch........HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
Thanks for the insight into the kinds of fasteners I might run into and what is available. The tools you use is helpful also also. The deck screw idea is a good one, put it together before you take it apart. If someone with experience had been around when  repaired my '51 Ford woody it might have come better and I wouldn't have that experience in the back of my mind now.

Keep checking my thread on the HAMB. Grumpy gaby2 on there also has experience and some detailed comments. There is too much there to move it all over here too. I know it would be frustrating for you not to be able to comment directly there.

Thanks for the link back to your posts on your wood build. I knew there was more somewhere. Some of your stuff is in the folder I'm putting together to have handy.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »
surfing thru the barrett Jackson auction docket listings I found this 1926 chev speedster

very interesting build

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1926-CHEVROLET-CUSTOM-SPEEDSTER-236086

mike lynch..........  HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:32 AM »
That car was here at the Inliners International Convention in 2012. A nice little car. I don't know what on it was a '26 though. The guy made the body and the radiator shell is a '25, frame '32. The engine was either a modded 153 or a 181 Mercruiser, Same family as my 153 Chevy II. I think it had a T-5 transmission, It is a well built car and won one of the trophies I made for the event. I heard that the guy that built it died but I'm not sure. I talked with him fro quite a while. A lot of work on the throttle linkage!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:51:55 AM by sixball »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 09:40:55 AM »
these are the T nut I bought other day that are nailed in original style without the barbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-front-seat-bracket-nuts-fits-1934-1935-1936-Buick-Cadillac-Chevy-Pontiac/132945483408?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

mike lynch.........HAIRBALL

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2020, 12:37:43 PM »
If and when I build another wood structured car, I might have to try my wood working skills, but for now I am hitting the 55 gasser pretty hard, and trying for this summer

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »
I'd like to have this thing be a roller by summer. The bent frame horn got straightened today and the new spring bushings and bolts came. I think I also found the one piece if missing sheet metal.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 09:20:21 AM »
I love the enthusiasm Sixball.  Hope to see it as a roller by summer.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
just spotted these B pillar Chevrolet door post covers the rear ones ?  or the fronts.   These hide all the screws and hinge assembly.......no idea if they fit back as far as 26 .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Chevy-29-31-Roadster-and-Touring-Door-Stop-Slam-Set-30-32-Roadster-PU/164021847099

HAIRBALL

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal