Author Topic: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully  (Read 116512 times)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
Very good fabrication skills!  You should be proud of your work.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
Cocobolo, thanks and it'll come back to you when you get back on it. My plans were last fall to have it done this April, haha that ain't happening.  Gonna have to bite the bullit and ask for more help I guess, didn't want to do that. I would love to have it done by mid summer for the KKOA show at Salina Ks. I over did it again yesterday,  woke up at 3 this morning with my hand looking like I had been snake bit. Maybe a couple days before I can get back to it.

Tom, I just wish it wasn't so hard to do now days. I really enjoy it. I never have been one for store bought parts. I've been following along on your '33, you will be crusing soon looking good. Seat position,  I'm trying to accommodate my buddy Tom. I'm 5'9 he is 6'4, and one of these days he's gonna be driving around. Thanks Sammons

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 06:59:49 AM »

Tom, I just wish it wasn't so hard to do now days. I really enjoy it. I never have been one for store bought parts. I've been following along on your '33, you will be crusing soon looking good. Seat position,  I'm trying to accommodate my buddy Tom. I'm 5'9 he is 6'4, and one of these days he's gonna be driving around. Thanks Sammons

Wanted to mention that a 6'4" person would easily fit comfortably in my 33 (5W) coupe (once they got in). The low mounted S10 bench seat is fully adjustable.  Of course your head is next to the rear quarter glass!

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
sammons you are on the right track with your build, but take care of your self amd don't be ashamed to ask for help, That's what this hobby is all about. On another note I have done the Salina show a couple years ago before they moved to the new park, and even participated in the drags. What a hoot it was....John

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Ed, there is pleanty of room in my coupe for him. I'm using the adjustable Vette buckets, but...... trying to find the best location for the seat all the way forward for me. I have to be able to push all three pedels. His legs are really long and the seat adjusts only 5".

Question: has anybody extended the seat sliders?  Man this would cure everything if I had 10" of adustment. I have pleanty of room for the seat to slide back that far. Tom usually relocates all of his cars drivers seats so he is cocomfortable, needless to say I go to drive his car i can just push the go pedal with the seat all the way forward.

Ghost, thanks and I'm going to have too.    My buddy Lonnie has gone to Salina the last 5 years or so, he has a ball every time. He runs his little '32 (ford) pu usually., but when he takes his '55 chevy he is afraid of getting carried away and breaking something. I've always had something else going that weekend, but pretty sure this year coupe done or not.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:24:09 AM by sammons »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 03:28:23 PM »

Ghost, thanks and I'm going to have too.    My buddy Lonnie has gone to Salina the last 5 years or so, he has a ball every time. He runs his little '32 (ford) pu usually., but when he takes his '55 chevy he is afraid of getting carried away and breaking something. I've always had something else going that weekend, but pretty sure this year coupe done or not.
[/quote] Might see ya there. My son/n/law and I are talking about going again this year.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
Ghost, that would be great to meet you there. I have to remember when again, Lonnie knows.

Well I snuck down to the shop and slowly worked the back panel and got it tacked down. Came out good enough for me anyway.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
I got one more little step done thanks to the neighbor kid down the street. He stopped in to see the coupe, and asked if I needed a hand with anything.  So I taught him how to use the metal shears and the right way to use tin snips. He loves to help until it turns into work, he is usually gone in an hour. If he would hang around longer he might just learn something useful.

I needed to french in the license plate, and could not find a tag lamp that would work in the tight spot it needs to be. So I rolled some sheetmetal over a 3/4" pipe, capped it and drilled and filed it on each side to accept two 194 sockets. Got it welded up and tack welded to the back panel

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
At least he shows some interest.  That's cool to take the time to show him some stuff.  License plate looks good.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
Thanks Tom. I've always been willing to show ANYBODY how too do stuff. Our local high school use to have a work study program open too seniors. Every year we always had at least one taker untill the late 80's. Dad always offered to pay cash after school hours for the good ones if they wanted to work the rest of the day. It got to be "are you going to pay me?"  The school would not allow it during class time. The last kid I had wouldn't come in, (skipping class) and wanted me to sign his time sheet and evaluation.  Got all pissed at me for not, geez what did he expect. They no longer offer this, not enough interest I was told.

My cousins son (16) is taking a welding class (still offered) and is getting pretty good. My aunt asked me if I could fix the kids bumper cover on his S10. I told her I would be glad to so him how, but he would have to do it. He takes instruction well and did a good job. I told him if he wanted to come down and do some welding I would appreciate the help on my coupe welding up the cage., also I would show him fab work. He said he wasn't intetested??????

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
That tail pan is looking real good.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
Thanks Ghost, now if I can lay my hands on a set of '63-67 tail lamps, I can finish it.

Maybe I can talk my brother into lending me his for a while. He's going to get new ones later, but so am I. I just need  them for fitting right now.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:30:08 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Well that was a lot more work than I remember.  It took Lonnie and me 3 1/2 hours with all the breaks we took.  I got 160 louvers in it, I guessed about right.  Glad that's done, not looking forward to the hood or the belly pan. Definitely getting two more guys next time.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
I like it!  It does look like a lot of work.  Nice job, real straight.
Tom

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
Thanks Tom, that's the pain in the ass part. Setting the first one and making sure it's square, we use to check every 5th one.  But because both our grips and my shakes ain't very good we checked every 3rd or 4th. Lonnie said his arms were about to fall off ( he was balancing the deck lid flat over the die) .  The flat hoods were a lot easier !

My scraper friend stopped by this afternoon to look at my grill, he said he was hired to clean out a barn that had some car parts in it and he spotted a grill shell. The ol boy just said it was an old chevy. It was complete and had not been cut up like mine and it did have the chevy wing looking emblem w/radiator also. I think he said he was scheduled for friday. I've got my fingers crossed (if I could) he didn't remember if it had a chrome suround or not. We'll see.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal