Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 22567 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:16:58 AM »
Could anyone who can move the posts that Mad Mike and I did about wood framing to this place?
I think I am making progress on my roadster and am getting a lot of help with the wooden part. I am accumulating a lot of specs and other information for '25-'26 Chevy roadster wood parts. A new friend from the HAMB has many patterns and I hope he will bring his pictures and thoughts here too. I spent today taking a closer look at what I have than I ever have and took 35 closeup pictures mostly of joints and other connecting points. I'll put some here when I figure it out again.  I also want to ask Mike if I can put some of his tips and photos on my build thread in the HAMB and maybe move some of his stuff from another thread there?    Thanks!

(DONE-- had to do a cut/paste...the authors name is in bold)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:29:50 AM by EDNY »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »
madmike3434

here is something that should assist you with getting the wood door posts right.

Called a profiler, I screwed 4 of them together in order to make sure that the metal gas tank cover panel shape was going to be copied correctly when reworking the panel.

The same part could be used on your quarter panel to get the right shape top to bottom of the door wood posts . If long enough it could also be used on the wood around the seating area to duplicate it.

Home owner 9" band saw , quality magnetic light to see what you doing and a selection of blades to do hardwood.  Slow and steady , take your time.  Count fingers ???  lmao

A 2-3" drum sander roll  fitted to a multi speed drill press will allow the pattern traced and cut to be sanded to a fine finish .   If you have one of those belt sander tools/machine that lies on its side and has spindle roll holder that goes up and down, makes quick work to the wood.

Use northern white ash wood, cuts great, can be bent and doesn't split like oaks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Shape-Contour-Duplicator-Profile-Gauge-Scale-Tiling-Laminate-Tiles-Edge-US/192884100934?hash=item2ce8c9cf46:m:mScD4788uZNjUi6KeGinsQw

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:49:27 AM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
Quote from: madmike3434 on January 02, 2020, 08:17:48 PM

here is something that should assist you with getting the wood door posts right.

Called a profiler, I screwed 4 of them together in order to make sure that the metal gas tank cover panel shape was going to be copied correctly when reworking the panel.

The same part could be used on your quarter panel to get the right shape top to bottom of the door wood posts . If long enough it could also be used on the wood around the seating area to duplicate it.

Home owner 9" band saw , quality magnetic light to see what you doing and a selection of blades to do hardwood.  Slow and steady , take your time.  Count fingers ???  lmao

A 2-3" drum sander roll  fitted to a multi speed drill press will allow the pattern traced and cut to be sanded to a fine finish .   If you have one of those belt sander tools/machine that lies on its side and has spindle roll holder that goes up and down, makes quick work to the wood.

Use northern white ash wood, cuts great, can be bent and doesn't split like oaks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Shape-Contour-Duplicator-Profile-Gauge-Scale-Tiling-Laminate-Tiles-Edge-US/192884100934?hash=item2ce8c9cf46:m:mScD4788uZNjUi6KeGinsQw

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

I ordered one of those contour duplicators. If I need more like you did I'll get them. That will come in handy. Probably going to be buying some new wood working tools. My plan is to use as much of the old wood a possible and repair what I can. I'll have to make some new pieces. Like you I prefer the effect the wood has on the sound the doors make and the feel of the body in general. Thanks for the tips I'll need all the help I can get. I have some friends to help. One is a custom cabinet maker with a wood CNC machine in his shop. Another is  Termites and Bowties poster who has two '26 roadsters in pieces and wood and patterns  from them and a '25. Pretty much what I don't have he does. It would be nice to have pictures and specs for one of these posted somewhere. Not even the guys making wood kits go back to '25-'26. My son pointed out that this wood has been part of this car for almost 100 years. It deserves a little help and respect.

Link to some pictures: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/finally-my-26-chevy-roadster-build.1027114/
Modify message
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:20:44 AM by EDNY »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
madmike3434

Followed the link over to the HAMB thread.......what the heck, you got most of the wood, just get the nails out that's holding it in and remove the piece, trunk and quarter panels .  Then get some mountain Northern Ash and fire up the heavy woodworkers pencil and start tracing.

You got quality wood to reproduce, I always assumed it was rotted away to impossible to make pattern of.

One side was great and complete, looks like an exact duplicate of the other to me.

Get that bandsaw running and bingo...........its done.

mike...............HAIRBALL

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:48:24 AM by EDNY »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
sixball

Thanks Mike. Not only is most of it there but a lot is very solid. Did you see the pieces that the Pontiac guy added new ends to? I think that would work with some of mine. So I think the process is to get the wood out of the sheetmetal and rebuild the entire wood frame and then put the metal back on. The worst thing that can happen is I make a mess of it and have to do it with steel.  :)
Modify message

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
madmike3434

I trust your skill level that you can take the wood out of the trunk lid / quarter panel area and using tools previously talked about, duplicate what looks to be very complete. Main thing is you have quality parts to copy and I see that.

I used #4 or #6 size wood screws 1/2" long to hold the front door post to the cowl section rather than nails , which I think would have a tendency to vibrate out.  You need to fit the trunk lid and check the clearance so the rounded top TRUSS HEAD screw heads will clear the quarter panels.  Pre drill the hardwood with tiny drill 1/32" ???

The early read of your thread showing your parts and his where he made replacement parts for the rotted away area would be better served to reproduce the WHOLE wood part as one piece.   Your cabinet maker friend should have a FINGER JOINT TOOL to join long sections together if needed but should not be necessary.  Usually see them used in woodies.

The finger joint is actually stronger they say than one piece.  But mostly its used by lumber companies on 1 x 2" and 2 x 2" wood because they have a whole lot of small cutoffs and want to be able to use them.

https://www.amazon.ca/Yonico-15131-Reversible-Finger-Router/dp/B00KZM25FG/ref=asc_df_B00KZM25FG/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292947999281&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10520177649745204012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000737&hvtargid=pla-450093750600&psc=1

mike lynch..............HAIRBALL

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
sixball

Thanks again Mike. This is great help. The broken piece on the trunk lid came apart at a finger joint. I can see that the use of shorter pieces with proper joints could be stronger than one long obese because of stress on the wood grain itself. In 1966 I had a summer job at a saw mill in the molding plane. That summer they transitioned from burning the short cutoff to finger joint and gluing. It raised the profits but the whole town smelled of Elmer's gleaned piss fir.
 I agree with using screws where possible. Would there be an advantage to brass to prevent rust? Should I us some sort of adhesive to keep them tight? Pre-drilling the holes will keep me from destroying what I'm trying to fix.

It seems we have hijacked this thread. Maybe someone could move it to the wood section and I will try to post pictures as we go. This could be a good addition here and hopefully encourage others. If I can do it............ :)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
madmike3434

I think all that needed to be said about draft tube and pvc on this is done.

Oak has big grain to it and splits easily, the wood I am recommending is the WHITE ASH, much more flexible , takes nails or screws great.

I would not use BRASS screws, especially the small ones, they encounter any tightness in installing and bingo, broken in half.  I speak from experience.  I use the steel zinc coated ones or paint the tops.  You need the small rounded top type and in #4 or #6 they start getting small .  Getting them with a SQUARE DRIVE ROBERTSON HEAD is preferable because the blade type is not a good choice.  Slip and slide all over and scratch paint.  But if only going to primer not a problem.   A Phillips head would also be a better choice

Best screws are the DECK SCREWS coated, but they have tapered heads and difficult to get the head down flat and that's the knock.   You need a counter sink but then your opening up the sheet metal and causing a problem.

these trunk  pieces are coated with the best varnish the boat builders use..........EPIFANES

mike lynch.........hairball

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
chopper526

Great job Mike! That wood looks too nice to hide in a car. :)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
madmike3434

Thanks chop...........there will be no interior fabrics in the roadster other than seat.  You look in the roadster and all that's going to show is varnished wood.

Always wanted a woodie and this will be the way to get that woodie look inside.

MIKE LYNCH..........mad as a hater and a HAIRBALL TO BOOT

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
Thank you EDNEY, I hope to get something here later. My hope right now is to have measurements and pattern outlines for complete wood for both '25 and '26 Chevy roadsters that anyone can use to put them together whether they wish to use wood or steel. Maybe even pictures of a complete wood frame for my '26. Hopefully Mike and others will show up to guide me through this.

Working on the picture thing? :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
I was poking around in my pictures files/folders and found this.............pictures are of an opened up to view 1934-1935 Chevrolet PHAETON.  These are just pictures I found somewhere, its not my car, but saved them for reference as the touring is going to have the seat moved back 6--9" .  Trying to drive the touring is very difficult , more like piloting a go cart when your 6--3".

I managed to purchase  a seat slider mechanism out of a 32 Pontiac sedan from a fellow member of this forum,  THANK YOU !!!!!!  The phaeton seat is fixed in position an a lot of thought has to go into how to properly modify the B + C pillar post.  Because as you can see in pics the seat frame attaches to the sides, this is necessary to retain the maximum strength in this area , as seat is part of the unit.

Viewing the pictures shows you the amount of wood and how its used in the 33--35 chevrolets open cars I am interested in.   The 1929--1935 Chevrolet roadsters, phaetons and roadster pickups bodys were supplied to Chevrolet by an outside source (  Hercules--- Campbell ) ready to mount on the assembly plant frame.

Note......cabriolets, convertibles , are made by FISHER body and hinges, locks, latches , strikers are exclusive to those Fisher body cars.

Note that there are finger joints in the wood and also scarf joints, mortise and tenon joints ,  plus specialized bracketry to support the wood in various areas.  So examine the pictures and learn something new. ??

Personally I like the solid THUMP of a wood door closing rather than the clink tin can clank of a ford style metal.

questions ?

mike lynch............HAIRBALL

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 11:36:57 AM »
chevy 32 Pontiac seat front slider for touring

mike lynch

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »
Great pics and info mike.

I'l start putting some pictures of my roadster here. The first ones are pretty self explanatory. This is a '26 Chevy that I have had for a long time. It'll be a hot rod by and by. I have a complete build thread on the HAMB but here I mostly want to concentrate on restoring the wood in the body. I think there may be more interest on a Bowtie site. Please ask whatever you like, add what you know. tell me what you think.
 Tom

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 11:54:50 AM by sixball »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Not my car but a 34 chev roadster of friend in Knoxville TN area with restored car............there be lots of wood in that baby and it all gets nailed on.

one pic of 34 master phaeton and other of 32 Chevrolet roadster door

mike lynch..........HAIRBALL
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 07:20:31 PM by madmike3434 »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal