Author Topic: Tail Lights  (Read 4301 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Tail Lights
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
I am frustrated with my tail light setup on my 30, as it is cheap and often doesn't work.  I am thinking of going to the LED setup, but can only find the LEDs that fit a 33.  Are they the same size?

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
Re: Tail Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
I don't have the answer to your question munch, but I wonder if you could replace the light bulb in your '30 with LED's yourself?
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
Would not know how.  What I have now is two bulbs n each side, one small for the turn signal and one larger for the tail light.  I don't understand how to get brake lights working as there are only a right and left turn signal wires and a common wire for the tail lights.  I thought I had this working at one time, but cannot remember.

How would this setup get a brake light with only a single element bulb? 

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
That's definitely a valid question, but with only one filament in the bulb, you cannot get both a signal and a brake light separately.  However, I believe it is possible to use the brake light in connection with the turn signal.  I cannot remember (it's the old timers' kicking in again) exactly how that gets wired.  Myself I would always use two separate bulbs just in case a single gets burned out.  I think if you can rig LED's, that their extremely long life will pretty much exclude the need for replacement, meaning that they should never burn out given their long life expectancy.  Plus they use almost no energy and stay cool.

Senior31

• Daily Driver
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
Munch,

The larger bulb should be a two element bulb, but is a 1157?  If not, this is an easy fix.  All you would need to do is pull out the old socket and replace it with a 1157 socket.  You can usually pick these up at swap meets for a buck or two.  I think some parts stores still carry them also, but good luck explaining to the kid behind the counter what it is for so he can attempt to look it up on a computer.  You can then just put in a 1157 LED bulb.  This is the easiest way to convert it.  Yes, you should only have two wires going to the tail light.  One should be the ground and the other should be the Tail/Stop/turn function. 

Also, I found LED tail conversions at the Filling Station:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000014a~Z5Z5Z5AACNE~P65.00~~~~S40R0P37AC70229624214x~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000014x

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
Senior,

In my case one set of wires are for right and left turn signals as labeled and one is for both tail lights.  The ground is the car.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
On my '53 pickup there are two single filament bulbs. One is always the taillight. One is the stoplight and turn signal. The old after market turn signal switch sorts it out. In applications with a single two filament bulb it is the same. In these applications the hot wire from the stoplight switch goes to the turn signal switch and the switch sends current to both stoplights when no turns are being made. If the turn signal is being used the switch sends that side through the flasher and sends a stop signal to the other side when the brakes are applied. It's really pretty simple. ::) ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Sixball,

That is it, that is what I was trying to remember.  But know mine is not working and I cannot determine why.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks sixball, that's what I couldn't remember either.  If you plan on growing old(er) make sure you have a kid (someone under...say 50) with a good memory!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
That's it? I was born in the summer of '45. One in a string of several Texan and Okie cousins. When the Japs learned about us they surrendered. It is still considered one of the smartest military decisions made in the mid 20th century.  ;D

Munch. first I'd try the stoplight switch, then the flasher. Those are the cheapest components. Then I'd run the wires and check the grounds. In all of these old systems grounds often are the problem. You may end up in your shop with turn signal unit apart in your lap, mapping on a pad with colored markers, what happens when the lever is moved. That is how I came to be in possession of this important information. To be honest it was not a pad it was a paper plate, and it was not my shop it was at a Roadside Rest Area  north of Dalhart, Texas. 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:03:38 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
Munch

First tell us what kind of signal light switch you have. There should be some sort of id on. This is a pretty simple circuit really and yes you can have only two single filament bulbs and have brake and signal light combined on one and tail lights on the other with the signal light switch controlling both brakes and signal. On systems using 1157 bulbs the larger filament is used for the brake and signal lights which is also controlled through the signal light switch and the smaller filament is used for the running/tail lights. Once we know what switch you're using we should be able to figure out whats going on without swapping out parts to test the circuit.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:02 AM »
The turn signal switch is integrated in the Flaming River steering column and all wiring connects via a GM style connector.  Last night I did find a pin in the connector loose and reseated it.  When I did, the turn signal light came on solid when I mashed the brake.

I plan to test more tonight.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
The wiring on the GM switch coming out of the column should be color coded as in the diagram below. The turn signal and brake light are using the same bulb so if you have the light coming on when you hit the brake it sounds like you might have something wired incorrectly. Are your parking lights working correctly. If so you only have to concentrate on the other bulb circuit for the signal lights and brake. Take a look at the diagram and see if it makes sense to you and if you have any questions on how to trace the circuit let me know.

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.  I traced everything down and, like I said, found a loose pin in the GM style connector and the fact that I have to push the peddle all the way down to get the lights on. I had not realized that.

I am going to look into a manual switch.

Any recommendations?

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Munch  If you look on EBay and find red led's, then take a thin piece of plastic or plexi glass and cut it to the shape that is needed to fit your housing then lay out a pattern that will accommodate both your tail/brake lights that should be a fairly inexpensive set of led tail lights.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal