Author Topic: Chain steering anyone?  (Read 3801 times)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
Chain steering anyone?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
Has anyone used chain steering recently?

I understand that many of the big rigs use this system, so I gather that it is quite legitimate.  It is a way of avoiding the interference problems so frequently encountered with a steering column and the drivers side exhaust so common with our cars.

Back in the early '70's, I belonged to the Klondike Auto Racing Association (KARA) and we routinely used such a chain steering system on our track cars.  The last car I used it on was a '34 Ford Vicky body which sat on a '60's Chevy chassis and drive train.  We often had our driving position in the centre of the car, as opposed to the usual left hand side.  This gave great flexibility for the location of the steering shaft.

I'm thinking that this would work well with a rack and pinion as you can get the steering shaft down very close to the frame right out of the firewall.

Just thinking about it at the moment.  And wondering if anyone has run into this previously.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Chain steering anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
I've wondered that myself. Been trying to help out a freind with a '36 ford p.u.  All was fine with the sbc that has been in there since the 60's, and he decided to go with a 302 ford. Nothing fits now, and have tried 3 different header set up's. Nothing else seems to work, and that would cure all.

Been looking at Speedways Steerclear #845-1000 offset, but a bit hesitant to recomend it. I just haven't talked to anybody that has actually used one. I never will forget opening season at the local dirt track back in '67 watching the green flag drop and seeing a fresh '57 go straight off #1 and through the fence because the chain jumped off. Now I know this can't happen on these store bought units, but that always stuck with me.

Would be nice to hear from someone who has used one. Do they steer any different,  smooth, etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:25:48 PM by sammons »

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
I've wondered that myself. Been trying to help out a freind with a '36 ford p.u.  All was fine with the sbc that has been in there since the 60's, and he decided to go with a 302 ford. Nothing fits now, and have tried 3 different header set up's. Nothing else seems to work, and that would cure all.

Been looking at Speedways Steerclear #845-1000 offset, but a bit hesitant to recomend it. I just haven't talked to anybody that has actually used one. I never will forget opening season at the local dirt track back in '67 watching the green flag drop and seeing a fresh '57 go straight off #1 and through the fence because the chain jumped off. Now I know this can't happen on these store bought units, but that always stuck with me.

Would be nice to hear from someone who has used one. Do they steer any different,  smooth, etc.

That must have been a nice surprise for the driver!

The way to avoid that - at least what we used to do - was that you made up an enclosure for the two gears, the chain and an idler gear.  It looked similar to a timing cover for your motor, except that it was longer and skinny.  We used a very heavy roller chain, and I don't ever recall anyone having difficulty.  If you are really in to fabrication, you can make it so that you can alter the gear ratios as you do with a quick change rear end.  I never did that, just used something like a small overdriven ratio to speed up the steering.  I think I still have a length of heavy roller chain here somewhere.

I'll have to look at the Speedway unit, haven't done that yet.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
Sammons, thanks for the Speedway part number.  That looks like what we used to make, except I think we must have used a bigger gear.

A bit pricey at $700 U.S., which would translate to $900 + landed in Canada, but a nice looking unit for sure.  I see they show the unit mounted outside the firewall, but ours were located in the passenger compartment, right up against the firewall.  I suppose either way would be OK, but if you want a cleaner engine compartment, the inside setup would achieve that.  We used to weld angle iron to attach the steering unit to in order to keep it nice and stable, then we bolted it in place.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
Cocobolo, I looked up Wizzard Fab-Steer Clear (Sac, Ca). Their pic's show them also mounted inside, availible from 8" to 20" life time warranty.  $599 unpolished version, and if you buy 3 or more price drops to $510. I guess if you had 3 buddies that needed them, not terrible.

Of coarse if you got fab skills for yourself, that's different.  But for someone who doesn't?  With somemore reading I might recomend to my freind.

trbomax

• Stovebolt
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
In the drag boats we used#50 roller chain to turn a shaft that ran along side of the engine stringers,all the way to the back of the boat.A pittman arm on the shaft was connected to a steering arm on the rudder shaft. I used a swinging top ideler,much like a blower drive,to maintain tension on the chain under the dash. This was sop untill the push-pull enclosed cable steering units came out in the mid 70's.
28 chevy 3 window,reproduced in 'glass in 1961-1965

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
I have been saving Chevy timing gear chains and crankshaft gears with the idea of making my own offset chain drive in the future..they look like the ideal starting material?
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
I have been saving Chevy timing gear chains and crankshaft gears with the idea of making my own offset chain drive in the future..they look like the ideal starting material?
Oddly enough I too was thinking about timing gears.  I think you would only need the small gears and maybe two chains.

I went down to our local cheapie auto supply this afternoon, (Princess Auto) about the equivalent of your Harbor Freight and they have all sorts of different gear sizes which are very heavy duty, between about $5 and $9 each.  They had a 10' length of matching chain (I should have looked at the number) but very heavy stuff, for $32.

Making your own could be the ideal thing, because you would be able to get precisely the length you wanted.  I also think it wouldn't be that hard to make a strong tensioner so you could avoid any slack at all.  A couple of bearings and a bit of steel and you're in business.  You would need a u-joint at both top and bottom I think, depending on the angle from the top of the unit to the steering wheel.  If you could make that straight at the top, you could eliminate that u-joint.  Add your removable steering wheel and voila!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
You can see the potential with two matching gears...
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »
You can see the potential with two matching gears...
Exactly...and if you needed it longer, just break one link and add a second chain, or even just part of a second chain for whatever length you need.  Excellent idea!

I picked up the Princess Auto catalog as well yesterday, and they have all manner of gears and different chains.  All inexpensive so you can pretty much make up what you want.  They only have a single type of u-joint, which is 3/4", but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough for a steering setup.  Maybe, just not sure.  I think I would pirate something off a regular car instead.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal