Author Topic: 1935 Chevy 2 door Standard Sedan Build  (Read 15643 times)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
1935 Chevy 2 door Standard Sedan Build
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
OK, it's about time I got started on the build here...most of the snow and ice has gone...only a short Honey-do list to go...and I'm getting antsy to work on the car.

First I'll give you a little info on what I found out about the car, and I think 3WBill (my adopted little brother) is going to fill you in with the rest of the story.

Thanks to several good people over at Chevy Talk, I can tell you that the car was built at the Janesville plant on January 16, 1935.  It was the 2462nd car off the line and bears the 2,475th Fisher body.  There were 22,799 2 door Standard Sedans built that year.

The car was shipped up to Canada, where it was sold at a Regina dealership and I'll let Bill fill you in from there.

Several pics of the car and parts thereof already appear here in various threads, so please forgive me if I duplicate the odd one.  Once I get into tearing it apart, all future pics will be first edition.

The first pic shows the car half way home from Onoway, Alberta to Kamloops, B. C. and was taken at Jasper national Park.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
Re: 1935 Chevy 2 door Standard Sedan Build
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
The car itself is basically complete, less the bumpers and every scrap of upholstery which disappeared as a result of hungry mice during the car's 50 year tenure in a barn.

It has 18,246 original miles and when we pulled the dipstick out to see if there was even any oil in the motor, it was full and spotlessly clean!  We were suitably impressed.

These are the first pics of the car after it arrived in Kamloops, September 27, 2013.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:09:54 PM by cocobolo »

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
Before I go any further I should let you know that the plan is to do a full frame-off job here.  So if anyone wants any measurements as things come apart, please let me know.  I'm definitely going to be taking pics of everything as it comes apart.  Mainly because at my age, my memory is damn near as short as my bank account!

A little history on me...I've been into hot rodding since I was about 18...now I ran out of fingers and toes to count how many years that is, but I know it's a long time.  All except for about the past 20 years or so because I was living on a remote island where there were NO roads.  If you think you have trouble quitting smoking, try going without a car to work on for that length of time!  Talk about nasty withdrawal pains!  Anyway, that's water under the bridge now, and just as soon as my house down there is sold, the temporary money problem will disappear.  At least that's the plan.

So over the past 5 months I have been collecting the necessary tools to do the job and there's not much else I need to waste any more money on.  I picked up a new 60 gallon compressor, more air tools than I probably need, a metal cutting bandsaw, planishing hammer, 20 gallon pressure sand blaster, new tanks for my Dillon Mk. 3 oxy-acetylene outfit, new sets of wrenches, sockets, drill press, new tap and die set, hole saws, 14" metal cutting chopsaw, wiring going in for the new 250 amp Tig welder/plasma cutter/stick welder, small MIG welder, HVLP paint guns, assortment of electric drills, engine hoist, 1 1/2 ton chain come along, creepers, body hammers and dollies and with my short memory I can't remember what else.  This tool buying disease has to stop soon, I don't have any more room to put anything!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:01:04 AM by cocobolo »

RH

• Daily Driver
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:31 AM »
Can't wait to see what you're going to create!  :)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:38:14 AM »
Can't wait to see what you're going to create!  :)
Well, RH, I guess that makes two of us.  I know that I'm having a hard time waiting for the days to get nice and warm.  The cold isn't much good for these old bones.

I got a message from Munch asking for some dimensions and pics of the back seat area, so I sent those off to him earlier today.  But I figured it might be possible that someone else could use the same information down the road somewhere, so I will pass along what information I was able to glean.

This set of pics shows a shot of the rear seat back wood support with dimensions written on the wood itself.  I think if you need a bigger version in order to read the numbers that the following pics could be used to do just that.  Should be self explanatory I think.  On the curved corner piece, the space between the ruler and the curve in the middle is about 7/8".

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
...additional pics to go with above.

Sorry about the sideways view.  Tried to fix it, but it reverts back to sideways when it posts I think.

3WBill

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:44:50 AM »
 I was the first person to buy the '35 from a gentleman who was advertising the car on the local kijiji. By the time I discovered the car, he already had close to 750 replies to his ad. I was lucky and  I ended with the car. The fellow i bought the car from told me that the car was driven daily up to 1962 by a nurse the worked for the Regina Hospital in Saskatchewan. She retired and she retired the car as well. At that time the fellow was her paper boy so he convinced her to sell the car to him. He drove the car around the farm for a few Summers , proposed to his girlfriend who accepted . He then put the car in a barn for the rest of the time till 2010 when he decided that he was too old to properly build the car into a hotrod. I included some pics from the first time I saw the car. I am not sure if my big bro seen these or not.
3WBill
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:47:37 AM by 3WBill »

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
Thanks Bill...yep you sent these to me way back and I have them on the 'puter.

About the only thing I have bought for the car since arriving here is a Corvette rear end.  It was in a '31 Chevy Sedan with a blown 350 for power.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:01 AM »
Really looking forward to this build thread.  Looks like you have a real solid car to start with and more than enough tools to get the job done.  Wishing you luck and thanks for all the pics and history on the car.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
Really looking forward to this build thread.  Looks like you have a real solid car to start with and more than enough tools to get the job done.  Wishing you luck and thanks for all the pics and history on the car.
Tom
Thanks TF...for the most part the metal is in great shape.  Quite a few dings and dents but hardly any rust at all.  The front floor inside is toast but otherwise everything else is not bad at all.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
Nice looking sedan. This ought to be a fun build to follow along with...John

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »
Nice looking sedan. This ought to be a fun build to follow along with...John
Thanks John...I'll try not to disappoint.  Just a few more days to finish the Honey-do list and I should be good to go.  I will need to make a trip down to Vancouver this weekend, weather permitting, so bear with me.  Believe me, I'm really anxious to get started.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
I saw your post on the rearend to 62131. I'm sure he will get back to you on that, I'm using  same just newer, the main problems you may run into will be the rear wheel bearings. Check them out good. Should feel like a properly set front wheel bearing, with no roughness when rotating. Try it without  the half shaft in. The next issue would be the clutch pack. The sometimes pop when going around corners, usually after sitting for long periods at a time. Usually can cure by turning tight circles to free up again. With fresh posi lube and some GM posi additive should be good to go. I hadmy '69 for just over 20 yrs. and all I ever had to do to it was flushed once, and added additive twice.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
Many thanks for the info sammons.  :)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »
GOOD LOOKING 35 CHEVROLET STANDARD SERIES. YOU DID WELL TO FIND ONE THATS IN THIS KIND OF CONDITION, GOING TO SAVE YOU HEAPS NOT HAVING TO DO A LOT OF BODY REPAIR.   

MIKE LYNCH

WHITBY ONTARIO CANADA

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal