Author Topic: Long connecting rods  (Read 14701 times)

Cool53

• Daily Driver
Long connecting rods
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
If you are doing a rebuild and your old connecting rods need to be rebuilt, and you need new pistons, AND your crank needs to be turned, consider buying a kit that offers a longer connecting rod than stock. Unless you are building a Mopar 440 or Hemi that already has rods that can reach the moon, then an engine like a small block Chevy likes to make more torque with a 6" rod as opposed to a 5.7" rod, you get a lot more bang for your money. The reason for this is that the piston stays stationary during the sweep longer and allows more pressure to build before the piston starts moving again, which gives it a lot more push. There is no downside to running a longer rod, except on some engines you may have a clearance problem. The longer rod makes cam tiing a lot less important, and if you draw a diagram of what happens with a longer rod you'll see why. If you have to buy parts, go for the better part. In this case they are not even that much more.
For those that load their own ammunition for shooting, you know how important the crimp is on the bullet. If the bullet sits loose in the case then when the primer is lit then the nitrocellulose starts to burn and almost immediately the bullet starts to move, and you end up burning a lot of the powder in the barrel. this causes a really slow bullet. But if the bullet is held as long as possible with a tight crimp then the whole charge is burned just as the bullet is released. More speed, more power. Instead of the powder fizzing it explodes. this all gets us to ignition timing. That's next.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Long connecting rods
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Jef

I agree with everything your saying but it begs the question of why didn't the factory engineers design the engine that way in the first place?

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Another plus for those of us who run the old inline engines i that longer(sometimes a lot longer) rods give us a choice of cheaper easier to find modern design pistons. One example is a guy who replaced 7" GMC rods in his 302 with 8" Hudson rods using Cjevy V8 4" bore pistons and saved 1.25 lbs per cylinder. The problem is the rods we need are expensive or not made.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04:07 PM »
We will be able to make rods affordable I would say, in the next year. And Moose, the factory ran the longest rods they could but didn't feel the shorter pistons needed would give enough support for longevity. Now with better alloys and lighter, thinner rings it is more possible.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »
Some old race cars actually used welded rods when welding technology was not near what it is today. But neither was compression and RPMs.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
As soon as we make the first set of rods, which are for the 292 straight six running 283 pistons, we will have most of the info we need to make rods for almost anything. With SolidWorks it's not all that hard to make changes. I'll post pictures as soon as Leigh finishes the first set.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
That is good news. The guys over on the Inliner site will rejoice.  ;D Will they be steel or aluminum? I think the small block V8 rods would work in the 250s if you could get the forgings before they machine the bottom end width.

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
we are going to concentrate on the inline 6's first. We are building a 292 for Leigh for his '46 Chevy pickup so he'll be making his rods first. they will be steel, and unless other wise requested they will all be H Beam. I will have Leigh write a note for us. He was going to build a new shop for his new machining center but realized how long it would take so he's going to rent space. He's in Concord, NH. But he is the best machinist you will meet. I actually have two friends who are exceptional machinists in that they can both make it manually or automatically. I'll get Leigh to leave some info.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »
Wow, That is really interesting. There are lots of people out there making some great stuff it's just hard to find them sometimes.

cool46

• Rookie
  • "Good Enough is The Enemy of Excellence"
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
Hello everyone. In response to the long connecting rods I will be making with Jef for my 292. This is going to be one of the first projects I will be working on in my new shop. I am sure I will have some space soon for the new shop. A lot of my work will be prototypes, and short run production. As far as the rods for my 292 I am planing on going with a 7.250 center to center distance. I have already been talking to J and E pistons about a custom piston for this application or possibly a modified 283 piston, and the prices have been very reasonable. I hope to supply this as a kit for the inline guys keeping the costs down to make this affordable for the hot rodder in his garage. For the first set of rods i am making I plan on using 4140 steel in an H-Beam style with an emphasis on grain structure (direction), while also trying to keep the weight down as much as possible with a short light piston and new modern rings. Jef and I will be documenting this as we go and will keep everyone posted. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer your questions.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
If you and Jeff put this information on the Inliner site you will get a lot of interest. There are guys over there who are making a lot of stuff but as you know longer rods that fit are rare.  http://www.inliners.org/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:22:37 AM by sixball »

CrkInsp

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:21:22 AM »
This is music to my ears.  Have you considered using a more modern piston.  For instance the Ls1.  They are available from Diamond Without valve pockets and any pin size you want.  They are a light piston.   Just a thought.

cool46

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
jef and I have been looking into other pistons both modified and custom. Naturally we will be going with the lightest piston as possible for this application along with the rods and rings to keep the rotating mass to a minimum. The rods that I am designing will more than likely use a small block chevy ARP bolt. This should be another cost savings due to them being readily available, but very high quality.

CrkInsp

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 10:11:46 PM »
Any info on the rods.  How is the project going.

cool46

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
I signed the lease on the new building this week. Looking at a CNC machining center Friday. Things are moving forward. I will keep you posted as we go.
Thanks

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal