Author Topic: Frame for 32 chevy  (Read 24519 times)

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
Re: Frame for 32 chevy
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
   Ghost-29  The last few evenings Instead of watching movies with the weee wife  I have been scouring the internet and found TONS of information on S-10 frames and jimmy frames and like all the ideas that they have to present.Having said that They are definetly not for 30'cars maybe 40's and 50's  but not 1930's  Hope i didn't scare anyone it was a friend of mine that said he was putting a 49 chevy truck on an s-10 frame and i thought why not a 32 roadster  WELL the answer is NO. maybe use the rear end with disc brakes and all but thet would be it.
   Anyways has anyone got any great ideas for  putting independent front ends under a 1932 or would you just keep the steight axle and upgrade the brakes and steering. 
   I was thinking of going with the carbed 305 and 700R4 overdrive tranny But have thought of keeping the syncromesh tranny that is in the car and putting a 250--6 cylinder chevy in front of that.
   By the way there would be NO changes to the body other than maybe putting 1930 bumpers on her and changing the rumble seat out for a trunk lid. I am thinking a trunk would be more useful to an older couple like us. OH and perhaps a trailer hitch.
   When i got this car like 40 years ago they had taken the rumble lid out and bobbed the rear fenders.When spring comes i will get a chance to post pictures. Its another snow day here,and it sure is coming down.I already have one of those dame costco garages that has collapsed down around the little black 1980 ford shortbox stepside. Now that's another subject. Have a great weekend  and play safe  wayner

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Wayne

With a full fendered car you can go either way and it can look good. I installed a Kugel independent
and I have seen a couple of 32's whit a Mustang II based setups. I was going after a nice riding and good handling car but it's hard to beat the clean look of a straight axle.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Well said Moose. I know there is a lot of parts to convert an original axle over to disc brakes for the chevies. I never seem to get a car with a chevy or gm style axle so I opt for whatever is available, and most of the time that is late 30s ford units that someone is replacing with a independent front end. I just bought a 40 ford coupe unit complete ready to install it even has new king pins in it, and it's drilled for chevy wheels. you can get these for right around $300.00 or less if you troll craigs list under autoparts  key word hot rod.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
On the '32 that Moose posted I could live with the rear wheels but the front wheels are several inches out of the curve of the fender. It would look even worse if you lowered it. If it was a gasser style it would be different. This is one of the most common "mistskes when IFS is put on this vintage car. You are all right, I is a matter of taste. Beauty is in the eye.............but that one hurts my one remaining eye.  :o Notice: I have not posted pictures of my rides.  ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
   OK guys another 8 inches on top of 6 inches from yesterday. Now i am almost sure ok 99.9 percent sure we are not going to be changing anything on the roadster other than maybe the bumpers that i dont have to 31 bumpers that i do have.
   As far as suspension I think i will stay with the original front end and go with hydraulic drum brakes  I believe that 72 might have been the last year for drum brakes or power drum brakes on the chevrolet car.
   What is the most feasable way to put drum brakes on a 1932 chevy and from what year. I think replacing the master cylinder with a dual master and a proportioning valve. Has anyone on this site done that to one of these early chevys. Or has anyone down that and gone with the truck 6 bolt wheels so they could retain the 1932 chevy wire wheels.Just looking for ideas for down the road
   And for ALL you chevy lovers and that would be all of us lol lol I have included 3 pictures of a gorgeous 1932 chevrolet delouxe sport roadster. The one thing i didn't know was that chevy back in 1932 had spot lights  I guess your never to late to learn something  Oh yes another 3 inches sometime in the evening and yes this car is a Canadian car made in i believe Regina Saskatchewan. The asking price for this car is $30,000. I am going to post pictures under 1930 cars wanted or for sale thanks

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:24:37 PM by vette59jdwl »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »
If you decide to keep your original axle here are a couple of sites that offer either a basic kit or one with all the rotors and calipers to convert to hydraulic brakes.  There are some guys on EBay also that sell conversion kits.

https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/31583/Chevrolet_Front_Disc_Brake_Conversion_2840_Straight_Axle_Car.html

http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_chevy_discbrake_conversions.html
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
  Thanks Tom  I will check both of these out. I* was not considering dic's brakes  ,But drum brakes all around.  I was thinking something like a 49 or 50 chevy truck front end with drum brakes and maybe a dodge 50 rear end only because i am almost sure it fits and has drum brakes  then i would only have to find a drum / drum master cylinder. I 'think this thing will go over 70 and i don't care to squack the tires mooseman

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
This is a '49 Chevy pickup front drum and it fits the 19" Chevy wire wheels perfectly. The later flat style would require spacers. I plan on putting the '49 spindles  on a MOPAR tube axle. I'm still looking into using the '53 style brakes with the '49 drum. If not the old style will stop my light roadster. I'm still looking for a rear brake drum that will fit the wheels. I want to use a Dana 44 and I'd rather not use spacers.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
Question here, I'm putting a mustang II front end under my 32, I was told and have read several article's about putting this type of front end in cars. Every one of them says put the cross member on the same centerline as the front axle.
Is this wrong?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:59:08 PM by 62131 »

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »
  After much thinking and searching the net you are apsolutely correct  it just would not look right  .Having said all that Has anyone put a 48 to 54 chev'y or 53 to 62 corvette independent  front end under something like a 30's chevyrolet

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »
Question here, I'm putting a mustang II front end under my 32, I was told and have read several article's about putting this type of front end in cars. Every one of them says put the cross member on the same centerline as the front axle.
Is this wrong?
A friend is the one that installed the one in my 33.  I believe he located the centerline of the original spindles and located the new front end so the spindles would be in the same location if that makes any sense.  Then your wheels would sit in the center of the fender opening when looking from the side and the wheel base would remain the same.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »
As Tom said... centerline of the original spindles and located the new front end so the spindles would be in the same location  Then your wheels would sit in the center of the fender opening when looking from the side , keeping same wheel base measurement
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:00:45 PM by fatnlow »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
Is this wrong?
The guys are right about locating the centerline. If the mustang 2 unit is with a stock style or aftermarket crossmember and origiinal type mustang components, be carefull some of these locate the components more on top of the frame instead of beyond it, and you will have to bubble your fenders to clear it.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
  OK guys I am starting to see doubles. Here goes. sixball your going to love this site,and i think we should copy all his information to this site somewhere.I will leave it up to one of you moderator guys  the site is www. droppedaxles.com  chevys, fords, dodges, and others. Right Now the 1932 chevy is going to get a 1941 to 1955 chevy truck front axle with hydraylic brakes ,50-1/2 inch kp to kp also 26-3/4 inches spring center to spring center, 1-3/4 inch wide springs , 2-1/8 in kingpin BOSS. Only difference i can see is that the 1929-1932 chevy kingpin is .734 and the 1941 to 1955 truck kingpin is .866.  Like sixball says use 49 cheyv hubs if you wish to run the original wheels six bolt,which i do  For a rear end I am going to be using a Dodge Dakota PRE 92 had 5 on 4-1/2 for you guys that wish to go that way  Me i am going with 92 and up they had 6 bolt that will match my chevy. Mooseman
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:56:40 AM by themoose »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
Thanks..The Dropped Axle link is below.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal