Author Topic: Sixball's '26 Chevy Roadster project  (Read 8378 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Sixball's '26 Chevy Roadster project
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »
Here is a link to pictures of the raw material for my '26 Chevy roadster build. I can not seem to actually get started on it though I have been working on components for years. Bear with me and I'll talk you through the plan and likely beyond. The main inspiration is the early version of the Spurgin/Giovannie roadster. I'm not into clones the original is still out there and has been restored. Actually ultra restored beyond it's former glory as restorers often do. I'm going for an early look but won't tie myself to an exact place in time. In the early '60s I ran across a '25 Chevy roadster that had been raced on the dry lakes probably at the same time as the S/G car. It was in pretty rough shape but I could have bought it for $175. By the time I was able to sell my '40 Ford sedan delivery it was gone and I never heard of it again. I'm still looking for it and the '40. My thought here is to build this roadster like I might have done that one and what it might be like if I still had it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpics/26ChevyRoadsterBuild?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLLTucjOnozEBA&feat=directlink

So here's where I'm starting. A really nice '26 Chevy roadster body, a slightly modified '27 frame, 19" wire spoke wheels with 4.00X19s front and 4.75/5.00X19s on the rear. That is about a 30" rear tire. The front suspension will be a MOPAR tube axle on Chevy style leaf springs. It will have Chevy AD pickup front spindles and brakes. A Ross box from a Jeep will steer it unless I come up with a good early Chevy box. The rear suspension will be a combination of 1/4 elliptics and triangulated 4 bar. It will hang a Dana 44 limited slip with 4.27 gears. The engine is a '62 153 Chevy II 4 cylinder bored .040" with a 181 Mercruiser crank. (175ci) It has a lump port head, built by Tom Lowe, with 1.86 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. It's shaved .030" and with the forged flat top Ross pistons the CR will be around 9.5-10.0 to one. The cam was custom ground by Erson, nothing crazy but stout. I'll run big block roller rockers unless I find a good deal on 8 1.75 to 1 Chevy six rollers. The ignition is an old Mallory with a 2 piece cap that I modified to fit. It was for a Pontiac V8. Fueled by 2 Zenith single barrels on a modified 3X1 Offey Chevy six manifold. The tranny is a BW T86 OD from a Studebaker with a floor shifter from a Jeep BW T90. Gauges came from a '55 Studebaker Speedster. Radiator and shell are '28 Chevy truck.  Still lots to work out but that's enough to start. I hope to make progress this winter. 
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's '26 Chevy Roadster project
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
Sixball

Sounds like your gonna end up with a really fun car. When you finally get going it looks like you have everything mapped out and most of the major parts ready to go. Should be a quick build (I know...Easy for me to say). I'm looking froward to following your build.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
Cool project!  Looks like you have all the pieces to the puzzle, now to make them all fit together.  Looking forward to seeing the completed puzzle.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:08 AM »
Thanks guys, I really want to get on it. Here are some more pictures of the body. It came from the Harrah's collection when it was broken up and was bought by Bill Anderson who owned the Ponderosa Ranch at Tahoe. Bill had a storage yard in Dayton, Nevada and this body sat outside there for years. I looked at it often but he wanted $1000 for it. Too much for me. Another guy I know got it in a trade and didn't really want it. I was able to work a deal of some cash and some parts and got it. Luckily Nevada being so dry there is little rust and most of the wood is still there. Some I could use and the rest will make good patterns for steel replacements.

https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpics/26ChevyRoadster?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMGrn5aTjqyueQ&feat=directlink
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Here is a link to pictures of how I modified a 3X1 Offenhauser intake for a 194-292 Chevy six into a 2X1 for a Chevy four. There are also shots of converting 6 cylinder header flanges into a 4 cylinder flange. These are the hardest pieces to find if you want to build a 153 engine. The 153 is 2/3 of a 230 Chevy six. The Mercruiser version is rated at 120HP and the 181 at 140HP. I'm shooting for 175 or better. If not I have  Kaiser super charger setup.

https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpics/153IntakeManifold?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNz2gJDSl8_GuQE&feat=directlink

logride

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
That is going to be a cool ride!
Never underestimate the power of a lubricant.

PBRmeASAP

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this come togther...
Keep us posted for progress

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal