Author Topic: Wiring My 33 Chevy  (Read 19515 times)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
Re: Wiring My 33 Chevy
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
I wired the 700R4 Transmission to the switch on the dash.  I picked up a normally open switch and Omron #21911C relay.  I used the attached schematic to wire everything so driving around town and back roads the converter will not lock.  Then if I go on the highway and pull the switch, the converter can lock and will release when I touch the brake pedal.
I think I need to do this on my old Lumina van.  The wiring is currently disconnected, but if you hook it up the engine will stall when you come to a halt.  The switch would allow me to fix that annoying little problem and most likely give me better highway mileage as well.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
Finally got the rear section of the floor in so I could run my wires out to the tail lights.  I ran them along the floor and then drilled a couple of holes in the rear part of the body.  I used rubber grommets anywhere the wires ran through sheet metal.  I crimped male and female connectors to connect the wires at the tail light so if I need to remove them it'll be easy.  Once I get the head lights and turn signals wired up front I'll test them.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:50 AM »
Tom. all O have to say is you do nice work...reeeeaaaaal nice!
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »
To finish up the lighting part of the wiring I ran the wires for the headlights and taillights.  As with all the other parts of the kit the wires were well marked.  The directionals and the parking lights each had their own wires for left and right and were connected to each side.  The headlights had one low beam and one high beam wire which I had to splice into to split it so I could connect to each light.  I soldered the connections and them used shrink sleeving to seal them.  I use connectors I could unplug if I want to remove the headlights for any reason.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
The directionals and parking lights are in the headlight assembly and light up well.  The halogen bulbs light up good but we’ll see how they work when I get the car outside at night.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
Very cool. Now is about the time I sit in the garage with the door down and the lights out just to enjoy the dash and headlights for awhile...John

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
The inside of your rear fender area is very close to a 1934-1935 standard design.

What I noticed and have a question about, the factory brace that runs across the underneath of the fender from the skirt area, to the inside close to body. There is a bunch of spot welds that have been drilled out. Have you shortened the factory brace to where it appears in this picture.

You may not know they exist,  but there actually is a stamped brace that goes in those 2 holes on the frame , just visable in your picture, and it connects the gas tank cover and the fender together. Its called a gas tank cover/fender support bracket.

Just thought you would like to know, as I only found out the parts existed a couple of years ago.

mike lynch.... 8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:33:50 PM by madmike3434 »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
The inside of your rear fender area is very close to a 1934-1935 standard design.

What I noticed and have a question about, the factory brace that runs across the underneath of the fender from the skirt area, to the inside close to body. There is a bunch of spot welds that have been drilled out. Have you shortened the factory brace to where it appears in this picture.

You may not know they exist,  but there actually is a stamped brace that goes in those 2 holes on the frame , just visable in your picture, and it connects the gas tank cover and the fender together. Its called a gas tank cover/fender support bracket.

Just thought you would like to know, as I only found out the parts existed a couple of years ago.

mike lynch.... 8)
Mike,
Good eye, this brace is on the passenger side and was damaged so I did shorten it.  I still have to attach the fender to the gas tank apron some how as the bottom of the fender vibrates too much.  Are the braces you talk about reproduced or should I be looking for an original?
Tom

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 09:33:13 AM »
Actually I did reproduce 50 of the 1934-1935 standard series braces. Had them cut out with a flow jet cutter and then used a brake to bend them for left and right.

I know 34 master is much different.  I think I had a picture of the 33 master one but no idea where it went too.  I was trying to find the listing for the part numbers in my 1940 parts book, but I cannot figure out what Chevrolet actually listed them as.

I will take a few pictures of the ones I produced and post the picture on here.

These are the pictures of the 1934-1935 chev standard series rear fender/gas tank cover support bracket that I had made.  Center to center on the 1/4" bolt holes in frame and bracket is 1 1/4"

I have looked everywhere for the 1933-1934 master pair I have, they seem to be out visiting somewhere,  despite repeated searches of their last known location.  The shape on the 33-34 type was much different than this, kinda like a half circle

mike
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:28:44 AM by madmike3434 »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Once your gas tank cover is mounted using the 3 bolts on each of the sides, the cover is slotted,  and the rear fenders bolted to it, that will stiffen it up.  The brace attaches at the top bolt where the slot is.

Once you have all that fitted properly, check the bumper bolts chassis mount spacing too the gas tank cover. The cover should fit snuggly against them, if there is any slop , make spacers to take up the gap underneath , otherwise you will crush the area where it the bumper bracket is pulled against the chassis mount.

I would mount the gas tank cover panel with 4 bolts ( use button head allen heads ) that hold the gas tank cover too the frame crossmember, loosely . If you tighten these you will distort the cover panel unless its a perfect no gap fit .

I never liked the look of a spare tire mounted back there , personally.

If you could find a used one, I would look for the right rear inside fender brace.

mike lynch      8)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal