Author Topic: for those running parallel leaf front ends.  (Read 7202 times)

hrkhotrods

• Rookie
for those running parallel leaf front ends.
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
The suspension in our early Chevy's is one of the many unique features that attracted me to a GM build. What have you done with yours and how do you like it?

My 29' came to me as a basket case with a later front & rear axle scavenged from the sellers scrap pile. I have heard that the AD Chevy pickup axles are a bolt in, offer a drop(not sure how much) and gives you juice brakes so I bought one from an abandoned resto project turned street rod that was completely redone with new brakes, etc then left outside so the paint needs to be redone but everything else looks ok. I will be running that up front, not sure on my rear axle, maybe a Toyota or Nissan 4x4 rear to give me my 6 lug bolt pattern...

Steering... I am at a crossroad here. Part of me wants to use a Vega cross steering set up, the other part says keep it simple and use the stock stuff. Any suggestions?

One other thing that is seldom discussed is what to do with the spring shackles. The OE shackles are fairly pricey and with the metal bushings, probably give a harsh ride. Any alternatives that work well?

Wanted: 29-31 Chevy roadster windshield posts

Coley

• Daily Driver
  • colemang@myyahoo.com
Re: for those running parallel leaf front ends.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
I used the original springs and steering box in my 1933 3 window.

I also took 2 inches out of the middle of a 1948 truck axle and put it in with 1953 Car front backing plates and brakes.  I wanted 5 lug wheels to match the narrowed 1955 rear axle.

I put some truck shock brackets on and run regular shocks.

I have experienced a death wobble and it is NOT what you want to do.

I had no shocks on for a test drive and the car reacted so badly that you could not see out of it.!!

The fellow with me demanded to get out of the car once I got it stopped!!!

The only drawback from the straight axle is the same as any straight axle.  The car has the bounce it would not have if it was independant suspension.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
I drove my car for a number of years with the stock straight axle and as Coley said it drove OK but acted like all straight axles with the bounce. When I redid the car this time I decided on independent front suspension and went with a Kugel setup. I called Jeff kugel and told him what I was looking for and he built a setup based on the dimensions that I gave him. The car handles great and I glad that I went with the independent setup. That being said I have has a number of cars with straight axles and still think they look the best. I have an S10 2 wd rear which in narrower than the 4 wd  that fit the 32 perfectly. I used the stock rear shackles and rear spring running Delco gas filled shocks. Darn car handles and rides better that my daily driver.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

jocko

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
On my 33 5 window I used the stock springs and shackles front and rear with new kingpins and bushings on the original straight axle with discs and the rear is a 4WD S10 axle fitting correctly on the original alignment pins.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
I ditched the original axle for a 4" dropped tube front axle with a disc brake set up. I bought it slightly used from a friend who had it on a '32 sedan. I took the original front springs, which were well worn,  to the spring shop and had them make me a new pair. I just had them change the arc so the front end would sit a little lower. I got rid of the original shackles and bushings and used rubber bushings and new shackles. I got most of that stuff from Eaton Spring. I did the Vega cross steer because it came as a package deal with the axle. I'm glad I went with the Vega box because it really wasn't difficult and I think it may be a little safer. After I put everything together, the front end still wasn't low enough, so I took the front springs back out, had them shortened a couple inches and reversed the eyes. Perfect!! My rear is out of a '57 Chevy. The only thing that had to be done there is to move the spring perches in a little. For the rear springs I did the same thing as the front. Shocks in the rear are '55/57 Chevy, front are chrome P&J. You can go to the HAMB and see my build, there are a bunch of pictures that might help. Also, if you need specific part numbers I can get you them too.
I will say that the guys on this forum and the HAMB are the best and there is no way I could have done it without them. Ghost, TFoch, Carl5coupe and a bunch of others; full of info and always willing to help. Hope this helps.....
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »
These are the plans for my Roadster front end. I am using the stock main leaf and adding a little more arc to it and maybe reverse the eyes. I am thinking of using the '49 shackle mounts up in the frame so I can mount the spring closer/lower. I have a set of Dodge pickup spring that I will use some leaves from. I have a '30s ? MOPAR tube axle that will be mounted on top of the springs. I'm using '49 Chevy Pickup spindles, and brakes. My 19" wire wheels fit the drums. I am going to try the '49 pickup shocks. I have a good set but they are single action. We'll see. The steering box is a Ross from a '50s Jeep pickup. I'm trying to use as little after market stuff as I can just to get an old time feel. Some of this may change as I go.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal