Author Topic: 1930 Chevy Coupe build  (Read 7894 times)

Burninmalibu

• Rookie
1930 Chevy Coupe build
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »
Hey Guys,

My name is David Green, I have inherited a 1930 Chevy Coupe that was bought new by my Great Grandpa (Papa). I fully intend to build this car to be a driver. After getting ripped apart because of my build choices over at H.A.M.B., my faith in these forms is very low. I am wanting to build a street car out of this Ole Girl, one that my wife & I can jump in & roll to California if we want. We could care less about putting her in shows, she will not be a trailer queen & she will be powered by a Twin Turbo LS 408 Stroker & have a Tube Frame Chassis. I am asking for Tips, Tricks & Pics on the best way to replace all the wood with steel. I have the entire car, its is all there except just about all the wood and I do not want to wait a couple of years for a wood kit. Any info on doing this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!! Also my wife & I own & operate Fat Boyz Kustoms & Marine in Shawnee Ok. We specialize in Marine repair (I am a certified technician for Mercruiser, Mercury, Johnson/Evinrude, Yamaha & all) and Custom Engine building. You can check us out at WWW.facebook.com/FatBoyzKustomsandMarine. We have accounts with serval companies such as Eagle, Callies, Manley, Cam Motion ProCharger, SCE Gaskets & so on. We also have our own machine shop as well. If there is anything you guys may need & think that we may be able to help you out, please do not hesitate to ask.

THANK You Guys,
                                     David Green
According to my best recollection, I do not remember ........

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
Re: 1930 Chevy Coupe build
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
Welcome from a former Okie now in Ft Smith....I don't believe you will get any abuse in this site......these guys are very free with there input on how they accomplished their builds....they are always willing to give information or help in parts or lead you to who has parts.... They have always been helpful to me as this is my first early Chevy  build that had wood in it........If your in Ft Smith give me a shout....Welcome to the site.....Post some photos of your project
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:05:08 PM by FATnLOW »

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/termites-and-bowties-early-chevy-group.323303/page-46#post-12258258

there is a section on the HAMB where CHEVROLETS have their own section........TERMITES AND BOWTIES   , strictly for Chevrolets.  You will find there and here much more friendly than the regular venom spewing from the ford lovers.

mike     8)                                     

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »
Hi David,
Welcome to the site!  Looking forward to watching the build of your Chevy.  Very cool that it's been in the family since new and that you're giving it new life.  Glad to see you're going to build a driver. There should be plenty of ideas in the Member's Build section.  If you have any questions or need some pics of how I replaced the wood in my 33 Chevy let me know.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

Burninmalibu

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Well ... I would post some pics of the ole girl but the site will not let me.

Senior31

• Daily Driver
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
David, 

Don't worry about getting "ripped" apart here.  I built a '35 2dr Sedan and was greeted with the same response from the HAMB because I didn't build it traditional.  Like you I wanted a driver and since I put air conditioning, an overdrive tranny, and billet wheels it wasn't acceptable.  You will get nothing but help from the fellas around here.  Being one of the "younger" rodders it is nice to have guys that are willing to share their knowledge instead of judging everything you do.  So, welcome to the site and I think you will be surprised on how much help you will receive here.

-Justin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:14:49 AM by Senior31 »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
David, welcome to the site. Ed just recently HAD to update the site. With the help of his daughter they almost got all the bugs out, be patient. ;D   I doubt you will catch any flack here.  Worst part of replacing the wood with steel is scratching your head on where to start first. Once you get it all squared and braced the ideas flow more quickly ;) Good luck and give a holler when you get a headache.

Steve

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
David, You came to the right place. The HAMB is vast but limited in scope. It is what it is. It is smaller here but there is lots of freedom and excellent support. Madmike is a master at replacing wood as well as full of lots of other handy information. TFoch and others are familiar with replacing wood. There are master mechanics, body men and everyone else you'll need. It sounds like you have a solid plan to turn your heirloom into something future generations can still use along with the skill and means to pull it off.

It seems that the big difference in here and the HAMB is a difference of opinion about "tradition". The HAMB is tradition of the day, period correct within an arbitrary time slot.  A day when someone thinks "Hot Rodding" ending and something else took over. I don't remember that day. Here it is tradition of the way, using what you've got and what you can get to build what you want. The first guy who dropped a flathead V-8 in a Model-A was not concerned with period correctness and neither was the first one with a SBC. I understand both views and even why the HAMB would want to limit their scope to what they like. Our limit is pretty much Bowties, mostly Bowties. :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »
Hi David . I posted on your thread over on the hamb and I knew you would get crap.  You will like it over here

Burninmalibu

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Right On guys. This is more like it.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
  Welcome aboard  and there there is guys like me. I have a 32 chevy roadster and of course i would be just a little different i am using a 1934 chevy front axle with 1959 chevy truck spindles and hydraulic brakes out back i am using a Dodge D50 rear axle to retain the six bolt wheels either off the 32 or off of my 2005 silveradeo for an engine i am using a 250 cu in chevy 6 banger with a 700 R-4 overdrive automatic. not sure what i am going to use for steering yet Will probably keep the body and appearance as close to 32 as possible .I could not find rear fenders but found a pair of 30 chevys which i am modifying with JB Weld to look like 32's and will probably make my own trunk lid as apposed to a rumble seat.The wife and i would not have much use for a rumble seat.To each his own have it your way It is your DREAM   vette59jdwl

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »
Welcome aboard, David! The guys here are great and pretty knowledgeable. I started out on the HAMB and met some of the guys there. Then when Ed started the RBT, well, I've spent most of my time here. I replaced all the wood (there wasn't much left) in my '32 with, mostly, 1" square tubing. My car had also been channeled, and the floor and the trunk filler panel was completely gone. I bought a welder and taught myself to weld....sort of, and jumped right in. If I can do it, so can you! Good luck!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
David welcome my friend I'm building a 32 2dr sedan, I have removed all the wood and replaced it with 1" sq. tubing. Not really that hard to do just takes some thought and planning.

Burninmalibu

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
Thank you 62131, Do you have any pics of what you did ?

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »

I'll look thru my picture file and see, I know I have a few. I get busy out there and never take pictures. I'll post some of what I have completed and not covered by my inter panels to possibly give you some ideals.
Post pictures of your project, that will help give us some ideal what your working with. We are all here to help.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:57:51 PM by 62131 »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal