Author Topic: header wrap  (Read 4370 times)

madmike3435

• Master
header wrap
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:36 AM »
 that header wrap woven stuff, has anybody used it.

I believe its supposed to keep the heat inside allowing the surface to be cooler.  A friend with side pipes installed found that the metal on the pipes got real hot on the exposed area causing the side covers to get hotter and the body to also get hotter.  Anybody have any experience with this stuff.

I have seen it on lots of motor cycles exhaust.

mike lynch

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: header wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »

that header wrap woven stuff, has anybody used it.

I believe its supposed to keep the heat inside allowing the surface to be cooler.  A friend with side pipes installed found that the metal on the pipes got real hot on the exposed area causing the side covers to get hotter and the body to also get hotter.  Anybody have any experience with this stuff.

I have seen it on lots of motor cycles exhaust.

mike lynch

Read this....https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
I wrapped the tube headers on the 270 GMC in my pickup to get rid of some under the hood heat. I ran it for several years before switching to cast headers. I didn't wrap them because I had heard how bad it is. I had no problems and the truck ran a lot better with the tube headers. I'll put them back on the next engine but I'll probably have them coated.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
The only thing I've heard bad about the wrap was getting it wet or salted. Needs to be changed often like a bandage.
Maybe make some shields with 2 u-bolts and some steel sheet with holes for ventilation
 (like X's) .
I passed inspections with some of the sidepipes from jc Whitney and never burned a leg, they stayed cool to the touch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:54:53 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »
  Used the wrap a couple times. Had bad luck both times. It creates enough heat to deteriorate the ceramic coating over time and then the rust sets in.  Might have been poor coating. Headers were from Sanderson and Hooker. I noticed the rust on the outside of the wrap so I pulled it off and found the tubes almost rusted thru.
  Plus I think it looks like crap to begin with and most people use it as a band aid. After a while looks even worse
  Wouldn't use it on my bath tube pipes............. Ron

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
I've used it, but only where heat burn next to a component is needed protected. Personally don't like the look of heat wrap though. Never used it to increase performance so I can't answer to that. That article seems to have a lot of half truths in my opinion. I would personally like to see the effects of a new set of headers after 500 miles @8-9k rpm with header wrap vs  bare, (same tubing, same header) I highly doubt that all that holds it together after the race is the wrap. Only 10hrs use on bare header loses 25% metal, Christ how did I make it to California and back ;D      Just my observations and curiosity, i'm no engineer nor have I ran tests on the matter.

I've seen new Hooker headers rust out in a year at the collecter(painted), yet a cheap set of Blackjacks last 15yrs.  A friend had a set of Headmans on his 69 Chevelle sbc for 3-4 years before swaping out for a 396. They where "wrapped" , surprisingly clean when the wrap came off. He lightly hand sanded and repainted, sold them at swap meet.

No doubt ceramic coated works for a long time and is expensive. Wrap is cooler to the touch however.   
Mike what are these sidepipes and what are they on?  Like Rattiac said, the JC Whittney/ (Speedway/Rocket etc)type screen cover works good. Hooker Show tubes on the old Vettes and Camaros would burn the hyde of your legs in an instant!  Usually happened to the girlfriend in shorts.

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
I believe the guy who was offering the 50 ft of the stuff , had it on his 65 corvette SBC 365 hp- with factory side pipes.

He really felt the heat with the wrap on and also the sills got really hot also.   He used a thermometer gun to record the temps, before removing it, the wrap.

I liked what the reviewer had to say in the posted link, MOOSIE posted

mike    8)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
I believe the guy who was offering the 50 ft of the stuff , had it on his 65 corvette SBC 365 hp- with factory side pipes.

He really felt the heat with the wrap on and also the sills got really hot also.   He used a thermometer gun to record the temps, before removing it, the wrap.

I liked what the reviewer had to say in the posted link, MOOSIE posted

mike    8)

Mike his application would increase muffler temps.  He probably started the wrap just below the exhaust manifold to the last turnout to muffler? All that heat held in the wrapped area is not being disipated by the time it hits the muffler, now being disipated starting there. All the older Vettes were notorious for under hood/floor heat. If he was trying to keep the heat out of the pass compartment, a heat shield under the floor pan (I know C3s had them) and more insulation under the carpet are your best bet. (And there still hot)   Dad had a 65 same equipped and a 66 same except standard exhaust. The 65 might have been a tad cooler on the floor pan. I cant remember if they were a fiberglass cover, I know my '69 had factory sidepipes and had fiberglass side covers, never got that hot to burn or touch.

Repeat, I do not like the looks even if wrap works. Every situation, cars are different to your needs.  It does have its place.

The first time I read that article(?) 10+ years ago, I took it as just an advertisement for Jet Hot Coatings. You know, buy our product because it's better than anything out there. ;D  I've seen it reposted (minus some, plus some added by individual posters and figures have a to very  ;))

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »
Army hummers have these shields. The X metal stuff.
https://goo.gl/images/wL28jU
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal