Author Topic: 1939 Frame build  (Read 8789 times)

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
1939 Frame build
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Kind of doing this backward.  Car is on the road but got to thinking about others may want to build their own frame so I'll show you what I did.  Back in the old days a person was an apprentice for years before he could pick up a tool.  Fast forward to today, I purchased a welder therefor I'm a welder.  Anything that looks ugly just grind smooth!

To start I did some research on frame measurements but most of the stuff I found was incomplete, to small to read or just left off the drawing.  Got the center of each wheel well and measured the wheelbase.  Next I put the car up in the air and dropped a plumbob to the ground and made marks on the floor.  After connecting the dots I had a top view of the frame.  Next, back to the ground and measured from the ground up.  This gave me the frame profile.  I then took a roll of brown paper and drew the top view of a rail on the paper with the edge of the paper being the centerline.  Next I superimposed the side view over that same rail only in a different color.  This allowed me to adjust the kicks and bends at the same location so as to have just one compound joint.  As an example the joint just forward of the firewall bends up and in.  Once my "blueprint was done, it was off to buy the steel.  Got two sticks of 2' x 4" with a 3/16" wall.  Can't remember the exact number but somewhere about $130.  First I cut and labeled 2 of each piece, one for each side.  Started with the back because the rails are straight (from the top) so I could clamp them on the table and weld without warping.  Made both rear wheel humps this way. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
Re: 1939 Frame build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »
Got the rears tacked on the table then it was time to mount them on the frame jig.  Actually the jig is two big I-beams that are set level.  Using the top of the jig (I-beams) as the floor I mounted the rear rails at the proper ride height and tacked them in place.  At this time a center line string was put in place.  No idea why, just because the pros do that! 

Is this boring?  Should I go on?

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
I was wondering if you had a chassis table...nice setup. Let's see how it goes!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »
        I, for one, would like to see the "rest of the story."   Ron

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:03:44 AM »
Looking forward to seeing a completed chassis.  Nice start!
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
This is a friend's shop and it's really not a "frame table" just I-beams that happen to be somewhere near level.  If you don't have I-beams I think an extra 2" x 4" 3/16 wall rail would serve the purpose.  Just set it up level and it will give you something to tack weld uprights to.  Don't trip over it!

Well on with the frame build.  Once the back of the frame was tacked in place I continued to add side rails as per my blueprint.  Each piece that was added required tweeking a bit to follow the up and in of the rails.  Each piece was also ground to a bevel for welding which gave a smoother weld that didn't stick out.  Before I even started the 2" x 4" required cleaning.  That job took the better part of a day.  Getting the anti-rust powder off is a bear but welding and painting will be more successful.

I started to just replace the front end which was a Mustang II out of the junkyard with stamped A arms but the more I thought about it the more I decided to just replace the old tired frame.  The low mounded A/C compressor on the LS engine would hit the crossmember  by just a little so I decided to widen the rails up front a bit to fix this problem.  After much research I discovered the PAUL HORTON'S WELDER SERIES items and went with his crosssmember. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Here is the frame rails done and setting the front crossmember in place as per instructions.  Case of measure twice.  In my case measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe.  Can't understand why things are not quite right. 

I also decided to go with air bag rear suspension and triangle 4 bars.  The original leaf springs required so much lowering blocks that the U-bolts were almost dragging the pavement.  Bags are much cheaper than coilovers and if there are back seat passengers just push the button to air up.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
That's pretty impressive 39delux. Looks good!!.....keep posting!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
When I got the perimeter frame done my first thought was WOW, look at all that room.  As the suspension and K members were installed I ran out of room FAST.  Read up on gussets.  Lots of great info there and decided on diamond shapes.  If you're ever setting around doin' nothing and think "Say, I'd like to have a headache"  then go study gussets.  On the rear of the frame I needed two crossmembers, one to mount the shocks and a second to mount the stock size poly TANKS gas tank.  Trying to also make it strong enough in case I want to mount a trailer hitch. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »
Rear suspension in place with triangle 4 bars and air bags hooked to a 1999 Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end.  As luck would have it the rear end was given to me, just had to take it out.  The rear end comes with disc brakes, 3.73 gears and Trac Loc.  Width of the rear was good just the way it was BUT there is a short side on the axles I.E. the center is offset several inches.  I decided that if a universal joint can work up and down it can also work side to side so I left it offset.  Cut all the old brackets off the tubes, located it in the frame and welded on new brackets.  While here I put new discs, calipers and pads on.  Also replaced the clutches in the Trac Loc.  A 3.73 gear is just about ideal to go with an overdrive trans.  Mine is a 4L60E with a .70 overdrive ratio so at 70 MPH I'll turn about 2300 RPM.

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
Next was to install the front end.  As stated earlier this is a PAUL HORTON WELDER SERIES crossmember which comes as a flat plate 3/16" thick.  It's all laser cut, even where it needs to be bent.  He designed it in such a way that you just clamp it to the bench and use two pair of vice grips to bend it to a 90  degree angle.  The result of the bend gives a perfect fit so that welding will be at it's strongest.  Had to enlarge the holes for the lower A arm bolt sleeves.  I won't go into any detail about locating the crossmember height because it's been covered many times by every mag on the market.  Of course there are also detailed instructions that come with the flat plates.  Once the front crossmember is in the perimeter frame is DONE.  Only thing left to do is dream up some kind of "K" member to stop any twist and mount the trans to.

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
Added a cross member at the front of the lower 4 bar with a driveshaft safety loop and holes for exhaust.  Now it should be strong enough to take off the jig, flip it over and finish welding.  Next step is to locate the engine mounts and trans mount.  While doing the trans mount it make life easy to integrate the K member with it. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
Last installment for a while.  All this work requires some refreshments.  Boiled peanuts, rolled tacos, Hatch dip and something to wash it all down with.  Actually, with all the work I had to step up to a little Mist.  You may have noticed my welds (?) were all left handed and this causes a real problem in everyday life.  Note the bottle is MADE  for a RIGHT HANDED user.  I tried using my right hand but it just didn't taste right. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
Local had a 5.3 engine/trans just like mine so I used it to locate the mounts and build the K member.  Also, here is a picture of the donor car for my engine and trans.  It had been setting around for 5 years when I got it.  Engine happens to be an all aluminum 5.3 designated LM4.  Only produced 2003/04.  Drops about 100 lbs from the iron block.  I'll need the savings because of the much beefier frame. 

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
With the engine in place the K member was designed around it and provides a solid floor support too.  Once everything is located the engine/trans is removed and returned  :( then it's on to paint.  When I first got the steel I spent most of a day taking the power anti-rust off.  Here is where it pays off.  First I rolled on a coat of Rustoleum primer than followed up with Rustoleum black.  This is a DRIVER and I'm sure there will be mods to the frame so no power coating.  I've found that this method works well and touch-up is easy. 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal