Author Topic: Greetings from B.C. Canada  (Read 13819 times)

LeadFreddie

• Rookie
Greetings from B.C. Canada
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
Hi folks, Lead Freddie here.

I've been around hot rods and customs since I was 15. My first car I bout was a 55 business coupe an from there the numbers embarrass me. Last count was 65 in total with no make over another. I like the lines of a car more than the name plate, although my dream was to own a 55 Nomad. I've dont that too and ready to move on.

I'm in the throws of trying to make a deal on a 33 Mercury coupe and from what I can tell, its a Rumble seat Coupe too. The present owner has had it  ~ in the open for at least 15 years and at 73, I think he's coming to the conclusion he may not get to it. You know how it can go though, often its not a deal until the last minute and then it happens. For now I'm on the no sleep, no appetite routine.

IF it comes together, it'll be my first pre 55 Chev. It'll be a few years before it sees the road as my wife and I travel in the winter leaving me only summers to play.

I want to build it as a old school hot rod but unlike the Ford rods I've built, I have nothing to go by.  Steering box switches, drum brake and backing plates, all that I've done in my rods but this one I'll be starting blind.

No V8 for this one but a cammed up 59 235 with dual carbs will pull it along and thats about all I know for sure.

When it comes to parts, I know theres a lot will be needed. Its basically a shell- missing the drivers door and grill  but everything else is basically there. A full chassis less motor tranny is under it.

I sure hope to be able to draw on folks experience so i can build a 50's style rod in a traditional fashion ( not rat rod or high end custom).  With luck I can start sharing pictures of her soon.

Light a candle for me, cross fingers and toes, just hope this comes together.

Attached are a couple old school traditional Rods I built and more of some old fords that have passed though. The couple is now in GErmany and the Roadster is owned by Felix Holst, VP of Development of Mattel Hot Wheels.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Greetings from B.C. Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
Welcome to The Rusty Bowtie...I look forward to watching you new project come together. Looks like you've built some really nice rides over the years. The whole purpose of our site is to bring together people with like interests  to share information, give and receive advice or just B.S about all thing car related (and sometimes not so car related ;) ) Again ...Welcome aboard!

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
Welcome to the site LeadFreddie. My fingers are crossed for you.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
Welcome  LeadFreddie......Great site,  a lot of guys willing to share their knowledge and what they are doing with the cars

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Welcome Leadfreddie from Kentucy enjoy yourself here the guys are friendly and knowledgable.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »
Welcome aboard KANUCK from BC from an elder KANUCK from Howe Island CANADA  lol.Welol thyat is where i am now 32 chevy roadster 59 corvette 3 tops.62 chevy custom tennesse van 81 ford short box stepside 80 caddy fleetwood brougham and 84 caddy fleetwood brougham. a 2000 gmc short box stepside and a 2005 silverado lowrider. so you see we are very versitile and have no favourites lol lol  vette59jdwl  welcome to rusty bowtie great bunch of lads if you have any questions just ask

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
LeadFreddie

Welcome to the forum..I'm almost Canadian..live about 800 yards from the Quebec border.  A 1956 Nomad would do me fine!

That 33 Mercury you mentioned is it a Chevrolet claim?...the guys on the VCCA have been going back and forth on that...they argue that there is no documentation that Chevrolet ever documented the Chevrolet Mercury term...kinda entertaining.

Nothing wrong with a 235 engine...first auto engine I ever rebuilt at 14 or 15 for my first car a 57 Chevy 2dht 210.

Member "sixball" is the in-liner guy on this forum.

Ed

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:13:59 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

LeadFreddie

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:52:03 AM »
Hey guys,thank you for the welcome.
Edny here's a bit of background;
my good friend told me of a fellow with a 30 something truck in his shop that's been sitting since 1970. I got hot and flustered and had him call to see if it would be for sale. When he called, the fellow said his truck was long gone, but he had a 32 Chev in his yard that's  been sitting there for over 15 years.

When we went to look, I  just about jumped out of the moving truck  when I  seen the front end and long door sticking out of the overgrown bush.  I was totally blown away to see it sitting there. On close inspection I  found extra parts in the cab but no driver door. The door handles are gone and so is the deck lid. From what I  could see, there was no hole for a trunk handle as I  peered though the cab  but light is beaming  onto the trunk floor from a hole. This is what makes me think it's a rumble seat coupe.

Like I've  said, these are all new to me so I began my quest for information on this. I knew from the slant front window it wasn't a 32, abut that's all.

So tonight I  lay here searching the net for parts and builds. I can't sleep so may as well wake dream a little longer.

As per the 235... I  love that motor. Had that in my 55 business coupe on a three on the tree. I repeatedly whooped my buddy in his 55 crown Victoria with its tbird engine.  My thinking that motor on a boxed frame will be enough for me.

My 31 coupe ran a 327 with single b.tri power. My nomad had a 327 auto. Love those too but this girl will be built as if she was on the street in 1960 and owned by a young buck on limited coin.

I like building that way. I've  had the ford's at shows and have had people come up and say, "I remember that car back in 63, that's Bob Smiths old  coupe (or roadster)."  What àn awesome complement and I  hope I  can do the same with this one.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Welcome from South Carolina.  You have certainly come to a great bunch who like nothing better than share their experiences.  Look forward to seeing your build.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
Welcome, I like your plan. I've been a straight six fan for a long time. 235s are great engines. The project I'm trying to make myself work on now is a 26 Chevy roadster. I'm also thinking nothing later that '62 as my engine is based on a 153 four cylinder from a Chevy II. Did you get any pictures of yours"
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LeadFreddie

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
Welcome, I like your plan. I've been a straight six fan for a long time. 235s are great engines. The project I'm trying to make myself work on now is a 26 Chevy roadster. I'm also thinking nothing later that '62 as my engine is based on a 153 four cylinder from a Chevy II. Did you get any pictures of yours"

No pictures yet. I didn't want to show too much excitement.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Here is a link to a thread for old Chevys on the HAMB. They are a lot more PC "Period Correct" there. There are some good pictures of older style Chevy hot rods. You'll notice some of the guys from here three too.  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/termites-and-bowties-early-chevy-group.323303/
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LeadFreddie

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
Here is a link to a thread for old Chevys on the HAMB. They are a lot more PC "Period Correct" there. There are some good pictures of older style Chevy hot rods. You'll notice some of the guys from here three too.  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/termites-and-bowties-early-chevy-group.323303/
thanks much, I'll  join the group once I have it home. You'll find me and many builds under my handle, Lono.

LeadFreddie

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 11:56:59 PM »
The frustration of the wait continues. I tried to abandon the idea after no headway trying to have someone else motivate the owner. I can't bring myself to another ford build. I truly am fixated on this old bow tie.

Tomorrow I'm  heading back to the property to get the car owners name and number. Maybe if I beg, sniveling and share my dream of a traditional build, even encourage him to share ideas I  can incorporate he'll take pity and pass it along.

I seem to be finding the odd part here, fender there so feeling confident I can rebuild it without owing my soul to FedEx  and ups.  I just have to win him over. Wiĺ take the camera too  and get a picture or two.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
All my best to you on getting the car. I know how it can be fretting over if you can get it or not.
 Oh and welcome to the bowtie.  We have areas for your other projects as well as chevies.

John

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal