Author Topic: Can you remember when?  (Read 3267 times)

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Can you remember when?
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
Thinking back to when I really became interested in hot rods the one thing that sticks out  most in my mind was when a older friend of mine who lived in my neighborhood and belonged to the local hot rod club called the Mill Rocker convinced one of his club members who had just completed building a 40 Ford coupe to swing by my high school bus stop while on their way to work and offer me a ride to school. Are you kidding....a shinny bright read 40 Ford with mag wheels and a hot 283 rumbling under the hood...LET ME IN. It was a business coupe with fold down seats in the rear area and the whole interior was done in a maroon Naugahyde. I remember being thrown back as we accelerated through the 4 gears and listening to the tires chirp each time he shifted. I was in my glory and thought nothing could make the day any better. I was proven wrong because when we pulled into the school lot there were a number of buses unloading their cargo in front of the school and the red coupe got everyone's attention and I had all eyes on me as I got out. I was mobbed by a bunch of kids (many of whom were girls)  wanting to see who had come to school in such a cool ride. I was king for a day. I knew then that I needed to have one of those hot rods.

On another note:
Imagine if something like that were to happen these days. The school would go into lock down and my memories would be somewhat different!!
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Can you remember when?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »
Really don't know who influenced me or why I became involved in hotrods. Grew up in the city of Buffalo, NY and it seemed that everyone was into cars...just part of the local culture.  One goal of living in Buffalo was to secure a career with Bethlehem Steel or the motorhead preferred "Tonawanda Chevy engine plant".  Worked at the steel plant before entering the military...never had the opportunity to work at the Chevy plant.

One sin I remember from my youth days in Buffalo was driving a 57 Chevy in the county demolition derby :'(

Wish I could explain my preference for 30's cars over all others..maybe Dr Phil (a 57 Chevy owner) is reading and can explain my disorder!

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
Cool story Moose. 
I can remember my Dad taking me to a friends house in the next town to show me what he was working on in his garage.  I was about 7 or 8 at the time and he was working on a Model A that was channeled and had no fenders.  It wasn't running yet but I got to sit in it and hold the steering wheel.  When my he and my Dad got to talking about the engine, I remember wondering as a kid that age, why would you put a Pontiac engine (389 with three deuces) in a Ford?  I just couldn't figure that out.
After that it was watching some friends who were a little older that me work on their cars and modifying the engines.  They always had me as the one who would turn the key when they first fired them up.  One got real pissed when he asked me if the ignition was off and I said yes.  Scared the crap out of me when he touched the magneto and jumped a few feet in the air!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
My older brother got me into by letting my younger brother I along with him work side by side on his 55 chevy 150 series, and later his 60 corvette and then his 59 chevy truck daily driver. But earlier than that was a trip to south dakota and my cousins letting me drive some of there b tractors and then tear up the corn field in a stock 32 chevy coupe. As A 12 year old I was in heaven

32chevy vett

• Stovebolt
  • Retired Die maker
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
I was 12 years and my brother took me to see a friend of his. This friend was building a 40 ford coupe. This was 1954. I was hooked. I would go to his house to watch him. As he chopped, channelled and lowered it. This car had all the fenders and hood when he was done. He done all his filling with lead. All self taught from rod and custom books. He built the engine. He had it on the road. When he he turned 15. I remember this Because we took a ride to NH. And took side roads to avoid the cops. The side road we took was the wrong one. It had the police station on it.
And a cop just came out. We were told to get back to Maine. And don't come back till you are 16. I talked to him two years ago. And that car is still on the road. It still blows my mine to think how young he was. And how good a job he done.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
I was already pretty far gone because of my uncle and from hanging out with my brother and his friends from his car club, but I was hopelessly lost in the summer of 1958. My brother graduated that year and was moving to California from Texas to go to JC and live with our grandparents. He and I went in his '39 Ford Coupe. It had a loaded flathead, primer, wide whites, moons, '49 Plymouth bumpers, Black and white naugahyde interior. He was barely 18 and I had just turned 13. We had one hell of a trip and kind of went from wrecking yard to wrecking yard.
43 years later my son and I drove from here to Texas so he could go to college. He was driving a 1954 Studebaker station wagon. It had a supercharged Studebaker 289, flat black, wide whites and moons and black and white naugahyde interior. He was barely 18 and I had just turned 56. The car had fewer than 200 miles on it after a frame off build. We had one Hell of a trip....... ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal