Author Topic: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster  (Read 47970 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I often wonder where the line is between " I just can't afford to do it the way I want to." and "I'll had this built for this season, I'm having a roadster built for next year." The second comment I actually heard from a guy with a beautiful '37 Chevy coupe with a 302 GMC. He could not tell me anything about the car except the color and how much it cost. I wanted to get Mike to hit him with his hockey stick. ::)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
It must be nice, I guess, to have so much money to just have a car built for you...NOT! If that's your mentality I don't think you are really a car guy, you are a collector. I think the fun is designing, planning, fitting, and saving up the money to complete a project. There is great satisfaction and pride in building something with you own hands, and if it's great or crap it's still yours.
On my car it was one step at a time, baby steps, sometimes doing and redoing. Great fun and a learning experience with the help of guys like you out there.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
It must be nice, I guess, to have so much money to just have a car built for you...NOT! If that's your mentality I don't think you are really a car guy, you are a collector. I think the fun is designing, planning, fitting, and saving up the money to complete a project. There is great satisfaction and pride in building something with you own hands, and if it's great or crap it's still yours.
On my car it was one step at a time, baby steps, sometimes doing and redoing. Great fun and a learning experience with the help of guys like you out there.

As I explained in another post...........I want the car the way I want it BONDO FREE.   There are some things I cannot do and the repair of the rear gas tank cover panel is #1 on that list.  The antique machinery and tooling used to repair the panel are worth 1000 times what I paid to have someone who knows what he is doing , use them.

Some times you have to be smart enough to realize you do not have a hope in hell of being able to repair the part properly. !!!!!    Sure buying a glass one is easy, still have the one I used to run I bought in 1972 and took off in 1980 when I found a NOS one.  Those days of finding apart like that again are long gone.

Finding and building a 1934-1935 Chevrolet roadster has been a dream of mine since 1972, 2 years after I bought my 35 coupe. I have redone that car 3 times.  I have been acquiring 34-35 standard series parts since late 70's.

In closing,  let me say I am building this car on a pension of $850 a month after I pay for gasoline and other stuff.  I keep a $100 a month to buy coffee and sandwiches every Saturday for my welder friend rick and quality fresh vegetables for the 3 donkeys on his property.

I AM BUILDING this car.  Individual items I am not capable thru skill level or machinery are being made for me.  I don't like it, cannot afford it ,  but I have no choice, nobody I know has those tools & abilities other than the restoration shop.

My coupe got this way because I worked my ass off on it every year since 1970 thru 3 rebuilds.

mike.......................... 8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
Yes!! That's what I'm talking about Mike. Great for the guy who has the interest and pride to do it himself. Anyone with money can buy one!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
Mike I think you took my comment the wrong way.  I was admiring the exact traits you have shown in your builds. The coupe is a beauty and a work of love for sure. No doubt the roadster will be too. I am on a pretty tight budget myself and as a result I've been gathering the parts for my '26 roadster since  the late 70s. I have planned the build so that most of it fits within my skill level but some things have to be farmed out. I was simply wondering what it would be like for us not to have to worry about how much something cost. I wonder if we would feel the same about our cars if we could afford to have someone do the work. I doubt it. I think we like knowing that we came up withe the ideas and we made them work. I think we like the praise we get from other guys who have done the same thing but on the other hand we don't need that. it is the praise we give ourselves that matters. We know all the details. We are the only ones who can get that special feeling when we drive them. :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
Yes Chop, but its always nice to have those pro built cars by :  boyd coddington.......lil john buttera , chip foose, troy trepanier and others who have built serious eye candy for wealthy owners who have neither the skills or inclination to take up wrenches and welders.  They are busy making $$$$$$$$$ to afford those toys. 

Those custom builders  ( boyd et all ) changed the face and more so the style & trends of street rodding.  Too slick smooth and billet laden.     Took resto rod style of the 70's  : rad ornaments...bumper guards......no chop...luggage rack...cowl lamps...wire wheels and regular colours and killed it off for smooooth and low.

Would the 35 chev master THE GRAND MASTER ever have a shot at winning the prestigious Ridler award in Detroit if it wasn't for foose & troy trepanier building the car for Wes Rydell , with a cost of $1.5 million.   When that was built you could not give away a 35-36 chevy master, nobody wanted them, that build changed the face of Chevrolets.

We can learn and get great ideas about how we want to build our cars and have them look.  I have seen & studied many of their ideas and am incorporating them into my build of shazzbott.  Nothing big, just subtle things like the main dashboard. Main dash would be gloss black , the gauge insert panel & glove box door would be satin black along with the stamped in pattern at the top.

Last winter at the 2014 Grand National Roadster Show the winner of the most prestigious 7 foot trophy awarded too the AMERICAS MOST BEAUTIFUL ROADSTER.........if you do not know , it was a 1935 Chevrolet standard series PHAETON one of 263 ever built .  First time a Chevrolet has won this grand award.

I have studied many many pictures of this car, its subtlety , fit , finish and overall appearance is MAGNIFICANT.  The cost to build this car is unknown, but the owner is on the road driving it, as it should be.

Can any of us on this site build a car to this level,  to compete for that award.......????  No idea and probably 99% of us don't care.

We can learn from the high dollar builds  !!

mike----------------- 8)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »
I often wonder where the line is between " I just can't afford to do it the way I want to." and "I'll had this built for this season, I'm having a roadster built for next year." The second comment I actually heard from a guy with a beautiful '37 Chevy coupe with a 302 GMC. He could not tell me anything about the car except the color and how much it cost. I wanted to get Mike to hit him with his hockey stick. ::)

SIXBALL..........when they do not know what the rear gear ratio is and a lot of other pertinent info.........trans type other than stick or auto, he bought it and is embarrassed your probing him..     I know these guys running around with near show cars , all puffery. Take to cruise nite, put car cover on at home, spend all day before next cruise nite,  detailing hell out of it.  And of coarse they just have to park in the POWER PARKING AREA so everybody moving around will see their purchase and tell them how nice their car is.   I swear the guys who do this gather after a cruise nite and have a circle jerk.

Sixball your building a very unique car and I am giving you 2 thumbs up in approval.

When I played my specialty was the BUTT end with the stick to the morons.

mike         8)

mike

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
Yes!! That's what I'm talking about Mike. Great for the guy who has the interest and pride to do it himself. Anyone with money can buy one!

Yes CHOP, and you will get a full 6 days of people with money buying cars at the barettt Jackson auction in Arizona in January.  You will hear the commentators gasping into their microphones how " you could not build that car for half of that".  Watch for those cars to appear at a cruise nite or show near you with the new owner all bedecked out in his Hawaiian shirt aka coddington, spouting about his car.  Don't ask him anything technical about the car he might have a heart seizure.   Trying to avoid the answer.

mike         8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Yup, you're right, B.J. is great to watch but way over my head, and that's ok. But you are also right about learning something from the big buck build. My 5 window was my first attempt at building a hot rod. I got alot of good advice and ideas from guys like Moose, Ghost, TFoch. I was going for a more traditional look because, to me, it is a meaner look, is easier to build, it's less expensive to build. Anyway, I accomplished what I was shooting for and I love the car.
The next one I want build something more intricate and contemporary. I don't ever expect to compete with anyone on this site let alone Foose, Coddington etc.. I'm just having fun. :)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
by your picture avatar on the side , I would say your building a 50's up to late 60's style street rod, very popular even today. A ton of these cars were built , put away in garages until found by somebody and restored to that look.
 Its never gone away !!!!!!!!!

These cars were supplanted by the resto rod style .

Childhood friend bob is busy with his first street rod a 31 model a pickup....chopped 4", channeled over the frame 6", bed shortened 9--12 " ?  SBF 302 in it, frame stretched 7".   Its the way they built them back in early 60's, but would have had another motor. He bought it without motor and trans.

I also go there and yak yak with him and wife giving him direction on how to fix things and make styling moves suggestions.  His pickup bed sides are real tough, so I suggested to him to use those side panel raised up stampings for patterns to apply cherry wood over top to disguise all the rough panels.  Its the easiest solution to cover up the problems he is facing with the pickup bed.  Plus will save him a lot of time and look good too.

Couple of weeks ago he fired it up and drove it down driveway and along the street.  He still has the grin on his face !!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike       8)

mike

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
Beavering away on my 35 Chevrolet chassis, I have found a simple way to fill about 25--34 extra holes in EACH of the sides of the frame rails,  holes that are not needed.  For the life of me I cannot figure out why the frame has all these extra holes in the sides.  Must have held some kind of brackets for cables ???

The tool is called a ROTABROACH, it cuts perfectly round slugs out of 12 gauge steel plate.  Note the spring loaded pin in the middle of the cutter, stops the slug from getting jammed inside the cutter.  Also note there is not a drill bit hole like used on a hole saw , which you would also have to fill , in the slug.   These come out without a hole in them. 

Place the slug into the frame hole that has been opened up to match the INSIDE DIAMETER of the rotabroach cutter.  See the tape and writing of inside drill sizes on the box insides.  Drill the hole to matching size and then take the tapered rotary file and slightly countersink the edge.  Place a piece of aluminum or copper behind the slug and tack weld the slug into position.   I am TIG welding the slugs.  Using a flapper disc refinish the surface of the frame where welded.   I also bought some 2" flapper discs that go on an arbor for inside the frame to be smoothed.  I will use a 90 degree head air die grinder .

last year I went to visit a friend DON, in next housing area south of me and he introduced me to his very trick drill press.  The drill press uses SNOWMOBILE TECHNOLOGY of just 2 pullys to get the drill press to run from 480---3000 rpm. , just by pulling the handle on the side. How do I know what the rpm is, simple its digital speed display.    Sure beats pulling the belts off on the top and switching them around for super slow 240 rpm, or max 3000 rpm. 

Here is how it works, the pictured close pully attached to motor is constant size, the other end opens the V where belt sits and closes it as you want to increase or decrease drill press rpm.  See the 2 pictures to see.  Pretty simple and so easy to use.

mike lynch................ 8)     building a 35 Chevrolet roadster
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:02:38 PM by madmike3434 »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »
more pictures of top of drill press belt system

correction, the adjustable pully is attached to the motor drive.  This is the one that opens and closes to change spindle speeds .

mike       8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:01:05 PM by madmike3434 »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
That is a nice setup.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
That rotabroach is sweet, Mike.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
CHOPPER , the rotabroach is one of those neat tools you might only use one or twice and if purchased for right money on ebay........think was around $24, it justifies the purchase.  My intention was to get a tight fit on the rotabroach made slugs into the frame holes and tig weld them without the use of filler rod.  I was trying to fuse the 2 pieces ...slug and frame together.   Did not work out that way unfortunately.   Other than my friend rick the welder showing me the tool set , I did not even know it existed.

GHOST, I was really impressed with my friend DON's drill press and discovered it was very pricey and the seller here,  canadian tire had stopped carrying them and had cleared out the stock the previous month.   Searched all the stores in a 100 mile radius, all gone.

Tried a thing called KIJIJI, and bingo , FOUND ONE AT THE TOP OF THE STREET after a month of looking.   In the mean time I found a home depot type store RONA...and they were going out of business and they carried one was 1/2 price so I bought it and when the used one came up I bought that too. So now I got 2 of them, one is in basement for jobs down there.   Its a great tool and you feel that its money well spent, with simple movement of the side arm it goes from 480 rpm  all the way to 3000 and everything in between.  I still use my more powerful 16 speed belt drive 6 foot high drill press.  I just don't change the speed.

Right now on ebay I am watching a tool sale for a oxy/acy shutoff valve.  You hang the torch onto an arm and it shuts off the gas, then when you want to use it again you lift it off and pass the torch over the units pilot light and bingo, no need to play with the settings on the torch.  How cool is that. Saw it used years ago in the body shop that was repairing my front fenders, never forgot how good it was.

prices are all over the place.........I am looking at around $140 .
mike
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:13:44 PM by madmike3434 »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal