Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster

(1/24) > >>

madmike3434:
these are pictures of my 1935 Chevrolet standard series EC roadster as I redo the wood, and theres a lot of wood.  Wood is a combination of oak, northern ash and cherry.  This is the seat back that attaches to the area behind the seat that holds the folding top assembly.  I used forstner wood bits to sink the T NUTS down below the wood surface. .  Whack it once with hammer to set the prongs tip marks, then drill 1/16 th holes in center of tips marks. Then drive the T NUT  down below the wood surface.

I used cherry wood for the slats and chose all the wood that looks like a real tree should. Check out the grain in the wood.  this would never get used by cabinet makers because of the grain. Still charge you same price. !!  The clear finish is an expensive varnish $50 a quart, from Holland, from a company named epifanes.  you thin the first coat out 50% and second 25% and third 20%, then down to 10%.

mike

madmike3434:
  Shazzbott, 1935 Chevrolet roadster getting rewooded.  This is one of the doors for the roadster. I got a pair of these from a friend in Knoxville tenn and 80% of the wood kit made by somebody.

The original patterns is what these were from a man named glen stauffer since passed from jekyl island Georgia who was big into 1932--1935 Chevrolet open cars. The original wood in the doors was something home made by somebody who did more damage than repair.

also shown is the main floor sills the body mounts too..........runs from firewall on frame to just behind the rear door post area

madmike3434:
  More wood working on SHAZZBOTT .  shown is the rumble seat deck lid wood assembly. The seat back cushion attaches to this, the wood frame is nailed to the metal rumble seat lid thru the sides.

Second picture shows some more assorted wood parts, the main spine curved parts that attach to the quarter panels and inside the trunk on the sides.  The water metal troughs get nailed to these.

picture 3 is my home made steam bending apparatus made from 3 wall paper steamers from home depot, with hoses.  The 8 foot long black ABS pipe is capped at one end and unscrews at the other . It has a drain hole drilled into pipe to let out excess steam and hot water, and take some of the pressure off the pipe.  Wood is soaked in this for 2 days, then steamed for one hour , then quickly grabbed and put into the bending jig.   You definitely need a couple of buddies to help do this clamping.

mike   

sammons:
Nice wood working there Mike.  I don't think I would have the patience, or skill for that.

madmike3434:
shazzbott.......making the seat surround top holder
picture 1...this is the original seat surround out of the car, its made from many original pieces using various techniques......finger joints, scarf joints, stacked joints.  in my wisdom I figured I could build it stronger and better than original design and set out to make it out of one piece of 1 1/4" thick northern ash, planed down to 15/16 and the lengths of 8 foot cut to 3 1/4" wide.  Then stacked on top of each other using multiple biscuits and TITE BOND  3 waterproof glue.

Also shown is the bending jig I made that is 10% shorter width wise than the actual width needed because your going to get spring back. I kept the steamed and bent part in the jig for 3-4 days before placing it in the exact fit jig for another 4-5 days.

took me a month making all the parts, steaming, soaking, bending and just general stuff.. I made two of these surrounds.....one is stock height 6 3/4" the other is 5" higher at 12"..  Both are still sitting in my basement from last October fully clamped up with pipe clamps before I dig them out this spring and begin sanding them both and wood varnishing them.

The wood was all book marked so that when I cut the 10" wide boards down to 3 1/4" wide the fantasic wood pattern would match up perfectly.  I went thru a lot of boards to find 2 that had a lot of character to the wood.

last picture shows all the wood surround parts I steam bent and jigged before stacking them into the 2 surrounds.  You have to do this right , there is no margin to make errors.  Its been a grueling experience that continues this spring.

mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version