Author Topic: Undercoating, Sound Deadening  (Read 7161 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Undercoating, Sound Deadening
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
I looked around and did not see any threads on this subject. I would like to know what others have tried, what materials were used, the application they used, and how well it worked/ lasted for them. We all know there are several ways of doing things that often stray from the original application instructions. Often I try things out of the ordinary due to availability and or price.

Also maybe what you have tried to keep them annoying wind noises out.

If this has already been discussed,  please reefer me to it, and delete or move to the appropriate place.

I was just posting with 62131 about what I use for undercoating and sound control. I have been using Total Coat "Sound Control" for close to 8 years now. I was amazed with the sound deadening quality of this product and it's ease of application. I used to use 3M Rubberized Undercoat in the rattle can. I thought it was a good undercoat, but did't do that much as far as deadening.

I spray the underside and the interior surfaces. Then I generally insulate the interior with a foil/bubble/foil that can be purchased at most building supply stores. I use 3M  General Spray Adhesive and foil tape at all seams. I like to put the insulation on all the interior surfaces Including the underside of the dash (for cars that have upper dash areas.

Please share what you used and how you liked it, thanks.   Sammons

munch

• Master Deluxe
Re: Undercoating, Sound Deadening
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »
Sammons,

I to used the building supply stuff for sound deadening.  It is called Peel & Stick and it is from Lowes.  Cheap enough for multiple layers and does a good job.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
Munch, my freind is going to try that. My problem is I'm 125 miles from Lowes/ Home depot. I've heard good results from that, just haven't tried it yet.

I haven't used this particular material before. Foil/4 layers foam/white vinyl.  But a friend give it to me last week, it's free so I will be using it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:10:20 PM by sammons »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Sammons,
Great subject.  I'm almost at the point I'll have to be thinking about this.  I'll watch and see which way I decide to go.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
I no there are many products out there, lizard skin and the like. I've heard of people brushing on that white roofing sealer etc. Many types of sound deadners Dynamat, Hush Mat name brand expensive stuff. I prefer the more affordable alternatives that people have tried such as peel & seal, foil/bubble and that roofing rubber membrane stuff.

Just curious as to what combinations you fellas have tried.

Another question, do you guys think that I would run into any trouble with drilling a few small holes in my rollbar/cage and filling the void with expanding foam? The reason I ask is my previous build, I built a rollbar for it, (uni-body car) and when I ran across a patch of gravel etc., the sound would travel up the bar. I would like to stop this, a friends idea. I know I have cut into some later drive shafts that were filled with foam.

Years ago a buddy of mine went through his '70 chevy pick up, new rockers, cab corners etc. He filled them with foam, I told him I wouldn't because of the extreme temp changes here in Kansas. Warm interior temp and cold outside temp creates moisture.  It all rusted up in about 5 years. I don't think this would be an issue with it all being on the interior.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:54:38 PM by sammons »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:15:08 AM »
Sammon
Glad you started this subject, When I built my 38 I used both peel & seal and the fabric with the foil on the back for the fire wall under the dash. There was a lot of negative comments on using peel & seal about it smelling like tar when it got hot, would not stick to a painted substrate.
There was positive things also, I chose to use it and search the internet for the best price and bought it thru Amazon
It's been in the car three years now with no problems. I will be using it in my 32 also. The conversation you and I was having was about the bottom of the floor pan. The guy I purchased the car from had put in a new pan but didn't do anything to protect it and the car set outside for three years. The pan cleaned up very nice, I coated it with a product from Loctite called Extend its a rust converter. I called and spoke with a person at Total Coat yesterday to see it was compatible and they said no problem.
My concern is Total Coat will cover gaps because the supports are stitched welded.  They also said it would stick to a seam sealer, it can also be painted.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »

Years ago a buddy of mine went through his '70 chevy pick up, new rockers, cab corners etc. He filled them with foam, I told him I wouldn't because of the extreme temp changes here in Kansas. Warm interior temp and cold outside temp creates moisture.  It all rusted up in about 5 years. I don't think this would be an issue with it all being on the interior.

Most of the new cars use foam to fill voids and add strength...you need to use "closed molecule" foam designed for automotive applications. From what I read closed molecule foam doesn't absorb moisture but the home foam insulation does causing metal panel rot.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
Ed, I'm glad you pointed that out. The guy I spoke of used house foam, It was sickening to see that all rusted out 5 yrs later.  I would like to caution anyone who may fill body panel, even with closed cell foam. New cars are coated with an anti-corrosion coating prior to the foam being applied.  I always thought of it like a cold glass of beer on a hot day, glass just sweating.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
On the underside of the car I usually use a brush on rust inhibitator about a pint will do the whole car underneath but you can use it inside also, it goes on as a white paste and turns black once dried. Then I use a body seam check all around the seams usually found at a paint supply store, after that I will use the standard automotive black spray undercoating found in spray cans. I have had great results with no rust bleed through later on.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
On the underside of the car I usually use a brush on rust inhibitator about a pint will do the whole car underneath but you can use it inside also, it goes on as a white paste and turns black once dried. Then I use a body seam check all around the seams usually found at a paint supply store, after that I will use the standard automotive black spray undercoating found in spray cans. I have had great results with no rust bleed through later on.

Years ago I bought a 1984 Chevy fleetside, the drivers quarter panel had about 60% of it rusted, the paint was gone and it was pitted and surface rusted just looked terrible.   I used a hand held wire brush to remove the loose scale and applied three coats (spray can) of 3M rust encapsulater (per instructions) then applied a light coat of body filler, sanded, primed and applied a single stage paint to the entire truck.  I saw the truck 10 or 12 years later and the quarter panel still looked the same as it was painted - never rusted through.

The trick is to make sure you seal both side of any body work..the moisture may not get through the surface paint...but gets in from the back.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
Living here in the high desert our cars are not exposed to a lot of salt from the roads so we get careless. I was under my '53 pickup last week changing front springs and shocks and was horrified at the rust from last years trip to Bonneville. I spent quite a bit of time at the car wash cleaning it, evidently not enough. I'm going to have to get under there and do something. That salt is always damp or even wet and it gets everywhere and into all the cracks and crevasses. I am following this with interest. Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:34:50 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
As you are finding out, salt loves moisture!  That's why we keep rice kernels in the salt shakers.

Hopefully you can get some sort of water resistant coating on your metal before the salt does it's insidious work.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Sixball, I always wondered about that. You see the same cars year after year show up there, I just thought maybe it was just a dry salt (like maybe dust/sand).  Had an old guy that use to work in the Kansas salt mines say that when they retired a vehicle from the mine, return it to the surface, you could literally watch it rust within hours.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
I met a really cool old guy who ran a salt operation near Fallon, Nevada. This was in the early '70s before I became a really cool old guy. I was at a tractor place buying parts from my JD crawler. He said he owned the same model that he had bought new in the '50s and offered to show it to me. My wife and I spent the rest of the day at his place which was a virtual "what salt will do to stuff"museum. His JD crawler was in perfect working order with all ram tubes clean and shiny with grease oozing from all lube points. There was not a speck of green or yellow paint anywhere and much of the sheet metal was going away. It appeared to be sculpted from rust but ran like new. I should have learned a lesson there. ::)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
Another interesting point about salt is that it is used to turn guns blue!  Can't remember the exact temp but with the correct ratio of salt/water and temperature a piece of polished steel in the hot bluing salts for about 15 minutes produces a nice blue finish (concentrated rust) that can resist further rust with just an few drops of oil.

Another story I heard was of the old timers urinating on the long gun barrels to start the rusting process...once the rust was established..just a little oil to maintain the finish.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal