Author Topic: New Member Intro-'36 Standard  (Read 30846 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: New Member Intro-'36 Standard
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Chuck, try "Stovebolt Vin decoder" site at the very bottom of the main forum page.  I just tried it, should give you a count of #'s. On my '35 std, it used some of the info that was on the body tag (plant/sequin.#) under body#. I think your series # should be FC

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »
I really got lucky with the condition of this coupe...it should make the build go a lot quicker.  There are only a couple pieces of wood in the doors that I may replace but everything looks pretty good.  Maybe I'll take some pics of some of the wood.  So If I understand correctly the only place for the VIN is right by the battery box....looks like it may have been mounted on an angle....it is gone.  I do have the tag on the firewall but the VIN is not on that correct?  Is their a source for decoding the VIN that would give me the number of characters in it.  I was off today and made some progress on the coupe.  Give me a second and I'll be back to upload a pic.

Chuck
Chuck, tomorrow when we have some light here, I will take a pic of the Chevrolet chassis tag and the Body by Fisher tag on the firewall.  My '35 is an EC series and I think that sammons is correct in saying your '36 will be an FC series.  Yours should be in about the same locations I believe. 

That is correct, your actual VIN is NOT on the firewall tag, that is your body number, paint code etc. only.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

Chucks36

• Daily Driver
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
I have the tag on the firewall...........Just dont know what to do about the missing VIN.  I was hoping it was on the frame somewhere when I bought it.   Unfortunately the previous owner didn't have any paperwork..... having gone back to the early 70's

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »
Chuck,
Check what your local laws are.  I'm missing the one on my 33 Chevy and when it's ready I'll bring it to the DMV up here in New Hampshire and they will issue me a new one.  I'm told to bring all my receipts and even pictures of my build.  In NH I can register it as a street rod which would allow me to run without a hood or fenders if I wanted to.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

Chucks36

• Daily Driver
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
Yeah,  that was my next step.  I'll check out the CT-DMV site first.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
Here's some info I posted on HAMB awhile back. As it states when I registered my car in Connecticut they used the Fisher body tag for registration because it was riveted on and less likely to be tampered with. That was 40 years ago so their views might have changed. In any case here is some good information on the subject of early Chevy ID's

Moose

The GM car number was nailed to the passenger side floor or seat frame not screwed.
 The Fisher body build plate was attached to the cowl and showed the body build sequence and other information as described below. Some states will agree to use the body sequence number on the cowl plate , others want to use the GM car number on the floor/seat frame and some will use the engine serial number. I have my 32 Chevy registered in Connecticut with the body build sequence number from the cowl tag. You might want to contact your Local DMV to see what the requirements are in your state. Below is a more detailed description of the various changes relative to the year of build.

Early Chevrolet cars & trucks used Car Number Plates to identify  where the vehicle was made, which month it was made, show the series and  the number  of the vehicle as it came off the assembly line.  Most early   wood-bodied models had this plate nailed into the seat frame or the   floor on the passenger side.  For this reason, they are often missing.  The  plates changed each year until 1934.  Model names "Superior  K,"  "Superior V,"  "Capitol," "National," "International," "Universal,"   "Independence," "Confederate" and "Eagle" were used prior to 1934.  From   mid-1933 thru 1936 "Master" & "Standard" were used.  Starting in   1937, the plates had "Master" & "Deluxe Master".  From 1933-1938   most trucks used the Master Car Number plate. 
 The Car Number or Model  Identification Plate shows the factory of  manufacture, series  designation (i.e.: BA = 1932 passenger cars), the  month of manufacture  (1932 and later models) and the car number.  Using  this example number, I will break down the code:  6BA 03 14173.
 In this example  the first number or numbers indicates the factory where the vehicle was manufactured.  Referring to the table below, the number "6" indicates that the factory where this vehicle was manufactured was Oakland, California.
 The letters "BA" indicate that this was a 1932 series passenger  vehicle and the model was called "Confederate".  The second table lists  the 1925 to 1939 series and model designations that were used on all  passenger cars and most trucks:
 Plants of Manufacture

• Flint, Michigan
  • Tarrytown, New York
  • St. Louis, Missouri
  • Kansas City, Missouri
  • Oakland, California
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Norwood, Ohio
  • Buffalo, New York
  • Baltimore, Maryland
  • Van Nuys, California
  • Janesville, Wisconsin

YEARSERIESMODEL
1925VSuperior
1926KSuperior
1927AACapitol
1928ABNational
1929ACInternational
1930ADUniversal
1931AEIndependence
1932BAConfederate
1933CAEagle
1933-36Car                 &                 TruckMaster
1933-36Std                 CarStandard
1937-39Car                 &                 TruckMaster
1937-39Deluxe                 CarDeluxe Master
The numbers "03" indicates the month that the vehicle was manufactured - March of 1932.  If the number was "11", that would indicate that the vehicle was manufactured in November of 1931. This part of the serial number was not used until the 1932 production (model year), therefore, 1931 and earlier models will not have these two numbers.
 The number "14173" (model series unit number)  indicates that this is the 13,173rd vehicle to come off the Oakland  assembly line in 1932.   (Note that the numbering started at 1,001).
 In 1932, there were two different Car Number Plates used.  All 1932 models had a 2-digit month of manufacture added to the number. Early production vehicles used "Car Number" on the plate, just like the 1931 models. Later production models used a new plate that had a longer field for the number.  In order to make room for the longer number, the  words "Car Number" were shortened to "Car No".  From 1932 and later "Car  No." was used.

Example Plates

The Fisher body tag that is mounted on the cowl
 Contains the Job Number, Body Number, Trim Number and Paint Number.)
 Note:  GM of Canada included the car serial number on this tag.         US Cars did not.

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
Chuck: since you have the firewall tag, there's no sense in reproducing mine here. 

But here is a pic of the Chevrolet chassis VIN tag.  As moose's post points out, it is nailed into the wood member immediately to the right of the battery box - as you can see.  No wonder so few cars managed to keep this in place.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Regarding whether or not you have a VIN tag and the registration process, you have already been referred to your DMV people.

Our Specialty Vehicle Association here in B.C. has been working with government for 30 years to try and sort out all sorts of these little problems.  We also keep in touch with other organizations in Canada and the U.S. and it is becoming more and more common to find various provisions for the specialty cars, antiques etc.

I think that more than half of the states now have a variety of provisions for our cars.  Things like special licence plates, reduced insurance for the old cars with some restrictions, a simplified form of registration where none exists and so on.

Here in B.C. - and this is not the same for all Canadian provinces - a vehicle with no registration, whether it be lost, never registered, brought in from another jurisdiction and so on, can be registered once it has passed the safety inspection.  Should the vehicle have no serial number, or VIN tag, one is assigned for you here.

Since it appears likely that your car was driven on the street, if you know what state it was last driven in you might be able to get them to do a search for whatever number you have.  That is the starting point for registration here.  If you have success with that, you can probably use that old registration to get you started.

And something else that will help is the bill of sale for the vehicle.

Chucks36

• Daily Driver
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
Looks I'll be taking on a trailer to the DMV at some point.......one of my favorite places

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:28 AM »
Yeah...I bet.  Mine too!   ;)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Chuck
Looks like  you have found a great car there, it looks to be in great shape. Keep us posted on your progress.

Chucks36

• Daily Driver
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
Just a couple pics of updates.....stripping it all down, one rusted bolt at a time.

trbomax

• Stovebolt
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »

From the looks of that clutch she's been sittin' a while! Is that the motor your going to use ?
28 chevy 3 window,reproduced in 'glass in 1961-1965

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

From the looks of that clutch she's been sittin' a while! Is that the motor your going to use ?
Yeah that is a real mess!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:05:39 PM by TFoch »
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
You say that's forty plus years of rust you have there, will the engine turn over?

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal