Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 371476 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #3555 on: February 12, 2019, 11:54:42 PM »
I made a great score this weekend. At our Inliner meeting on Saturday I mentioned I was still looking for parts for the 1919 Essex racer project. A member said his friend had gotten a 1919 Oakland that was an unfinished restoration and all he wanted was the body. I contacted the guy and I'm getting everything else. At the rate I'm going I would never have been able to find all the Essex parts I need. From what I have been told there is engine, trans, front and rear axles, springs, steering box, steering wheel, at least 3 rebuilt wood spoke wheels with new tires, and boxes of small parts. I haven't seen it yet but these guys are dependable.  I sort of hate scattering a complete restoration project but it will help put a running/rolling teens/twenties hill climb - road racer together. It also frees up my '26 Chevy roadster build to be the '50s-'60s hot rod I started out to build before I got distracted by an older style. A lot of those old racers were mix and match and few people will know what an Essex for Oakland is anyway. I won't even tell about the 1917 Dodge frame I chose to use. :o
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3556 on: February 13, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
Well, my old drivetrain went in a Model T. :o
sometimes it's better if it's getting used.

Made a awning for the jeep over the weekend.
Saw a YouTube video and it was really simple and folds up nice. $65 in parts , 8x10 tarp and 3/4" conduit, bolts/nuts. Making a cover sleeve at work.
Gotta have shade or cover from snow. 8)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:50:39 PM by Rattiac »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3557 on: February 13, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
Sammons very sorry to hear about your friends passing.  Getting old ain't easy.
Tom
Working for a living gets in the way of finishing my car

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3558 on: February 14, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »
Sorry about your friends Sammons. The important thing is, YOU were there. I was always taught when someone dies, go to the funeral. Period. I've been to a few since Christmas, seems they are coming more frequent. There's not a good thing about them, but you have to go.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3559 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
It's been pretty cold here but the front caliper on my son's .....Toyota.... was stuck and he didn't realize it. Wore the brakes down to the plate and into the rotor. I have a heated garage with a lift, but my other son's Camaro is dead in the water and blocking the garage door. So, here I am out in freezing weather replacing brakes, rotors and caliper. I put the whole thing together and try to loosen the bleeder screw with a wrench (I always use a socket because the screws can snap using a wrench, but I was too lazy to go get one). Well, you guessed it, I snapped the bleeder screw! I called myself every name in the book! I was able to bleed the caliper by holding it up in the air and loosening the brake line. Now I have to get a bleeder screw. It's always the stupid little things that get you.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3560 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:42 PM »
Thanks fellas, just part of life.
"Maybe the American Legion guys had another service" Sixball, sadly that wasn't the case here. Their next appointment was the coffee shop.   Nice score on the Oakland drive train parts. Sounds like a win win for you.

A friend and I were talking, maybe it's the curse of living in a very small town (800+/-) I basicly grew up here since I was 10. Making friends with the kids first, then their folks, sibling, nieghbors, store owners etc. I knew 90% of the people on a first name basis back then. By the 1980s they started slowly dying off, now rapidly.

Rattiac, nice awning. Amazing what a guy can build with conduit and canvas.

Chopper, i've seen quite a few of those. Some rotors end up looking like some high tech open fin coolers ;D I was wondering if you got that Camaro carb thing figured out yet.  I finally figured out where that green '71 Camaro was from, next town over. It showed up for sale on craigslist(way too much for me) It has Mo-Kan drag strip "money winner" stickers all over the backglass.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3561 on: February 15, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »
Sammons, A lot is the small town thing. When we moved here in 1972 there were about 500 people in the whole valley. I taught school her for 28 years. There were at first 125 kids grades 1-8. High schoolers went to Carson City. Now in the area where this kids came from there are 4 elementary schools, 2 intermediate schools, and 2 high schools. I retired almost 20 years ago. When I go to town I often see no one I recognize. I used to know almost all the kids, most of the parents, and a lot of the grandparents. Now I know more people in the cemetery than in the town. I some ways that's OK.  ;D I try to make new friends so I won't end up with no friends. There are some great younger folks out there.  8) But I miss the old ones.  :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3562 on: February 15, 2019, 07:29:05 PM »
You know guys, small town or big town, it's the same. The older we get it seems the more people around us die....and faster as we get older. The selfish shame of it is, it's getting closer to us by the day. The moral of the story, as I tell my boys is; enjoy every day, even a bad one and make the most of it. Love the people around you and tell them so. Don't make enemies.

No Sammons, the weather has forced this car on the back burner. I know it is going to be something stupid...or at least I hope it is  ;)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3563 on: February 16, 2019, 01:34:33 AM »
I can see the tunnel at the end of the light. :o But I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm a little concerned about what might be hiding in the dark. ;D

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3564 on: February 17, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
Went wheeling yesterday and almost had to spend the night on the trail 😱.
No other tracks, just me and fresh snow.
Was getting to a spot where I could turn around and the last snow drift got me. 😐.

Then things went BAD. The winch decided not to work 😕.
My only options were my traction boards (fwb) and digging out. Good thing I recently bought a new shovel.

5 hrs of digging I was finally out around 11pm.
Arms are sore but did get some good video.
Freaked out the wife. No cell service.
Think I'll just rest today.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:27:21 AM by Rattiac »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3565 on: February 17, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »
I drove my wife to church this morning and we almost made it home. 6" of new snow from when we left. With two runs at the last 1/4 mile I got within 100 yards. I walked up and got the tractor and after some snow removal I was able to tow her far enough that she could make it. We need more aggressive tires on their own wheels for winter. I had the cable/chains but didn't want to lay in the snow to put them on. The necessity of this kind of travel every trip to town takes it out of the fun recreational activity category.  ;D I'm ready for Spring. 8)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3566 on: February 19, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Boy, I was really sore these last 2 days. Body is finally getting back to normal.
Looks like the problem with my winch is a ground or corrosion issue. No click from the solenoid(s).
I'll have to dig into that this weekend and maybe show the wife how to 4wd in the snow. She almost came to find me.

Already started putting a video together on this.
I noticed my previous video all the sudden has music now (only took 2 weeks to upload). 😉😁

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3567 on: February 19, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
Rattiac, you need to do that stuff with a friend. It's like scuba diving and hiking, you don't do it alone.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3568 on: February 19, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
Rattiac, you really should have a travel buddy behind you.
Years ago, (late '80s)... some friends of mine (3) went out about 10pm after a 12-14" snow. He had a '69 C10 shortbed 4x4, lifted, big tires and heathy 355, one of those "Never been stuck before" deals. They ended up on open range, having a blast and drinking beer. About 11:30 it started snowing again and a blizzard kicked up. They decided to head back toward the road and home. Unfortunatly they drove off into a drifted over Buffalo Wallow....and were there! They tried digging out but with the wind chill, they couldn't stay out longer than to keep the exhaust clear. By 3am they ran out of gas, chips, beer, smokes and heat ;D  It was a long cold wait for day break.

They had to crawl out thru the window as it got light, and started climbing thru the drifts back toward home. Luckily several hours later at 9am they spotted a farmer out in his tractor checking cattle and got him waved down and home.  Lucky they didn't freeze to death! It was about a week before he found and retieved the pick up.  ;D

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3569 on: February 19, 2019, 09:40:35 PM »
I used to host snow runs with a online group but that's all dried up, Facebook also.
I guess im just too hard core to hang with. 😁

Seriously though. I do go very prepared, never in bad weather.
You have to go with the mindset that "you will get stuck and how you get out is the challenge".
Looking back.
1st mistake was not leaving early.
I left at 2:30pm. 😕
2nd was not checking the winch before going.
3rd was pushing it a little too hard.
4th. Should have brought the gun. Something in the tree's growled at me once while digging. 😬

Im so glad I bought that shovel. As my options dwindled down to just it. You can always dig out, I kept thinking.

Well I got it out of my system for this year at least.
Maybe next year I'll have another with me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:42:55 PM by Rattiac »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter