Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 371472 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #3540 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:24 PM »
Went back today and conquered the 3 part hill climb, with "chains only" . No need to winch.
Wow, what a difference.😂

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3541 on: January 30, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »
Feeling better so I thought I would start on the jig saw puzzel '30 A. He had everything blasted and primed  awhile back, so its been sitting waiting. Started laying out the subrails yesterday, but everytime I bent over I got ocean sounds and a bit dizzy. Guess the infection wasn't quite drained yet. All good today though ;D

Everytime I think the Brookville side rails are ready, I find something else that needs modified.  >:(  I had to knotch everywhere the crossmembers connected. I guess too much metal beats not enough. I got all fit and squared and welded. He wanted all welded vs rivets, suits me! All get it all ground tomorrow and figure the next step, I hope. ;)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3542 on: January 30, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »
ah, a 1930-31 ford  ???  5 w coupe.  If you have done work to it before I do not remember seeing it.   Looks like a nice quality body. 
So the sub  frame is a Brookville set of stampings.   Looks like a good start , nothing like brand new super clean parts.

Firewall is pretty swiss cheesed with plenty of holes.   Whats the plan there. ?

Re the dizzy and ocean sounds. When I was going to rewire the 35 coupe that happened to me also, was a panic attack . Every time I put head and shoulders inside I got queezy and had to sit down.  Kept happening like ground hog day.    Had a friend come over to help and I was gofer.

I was fearsome of wiring the car from scratch , plain and simple.

mike lynch

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3543 on: January 31, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »
really nice samm0ns.  nice clean project

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3544 on: January 31, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
Mike, he deals in these. Just something from nothing, the car sat on it's right side for decades. He keeps coming up with good cowls but sells them, same with the doors >:(  I talked him into bolting the cowl on for now incase he gets a better one. It will get chopped and channeled after its solid again.

Ghost, lol it's the same old rusty POS it started as. Just blasted ;D

Ground and primed subrails today. Went to set up the body sides....
I quit!  Damned outer lip of the siderails are too long and must be trimmed level with the inner channel  >:(  I didn't notice it on my table as the outer hung over, all the crossmbers and inners are flat on the table.  He should have saved a hell of a lot of money and bought chinese siderails.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:30:12 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3545 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »
Today I figured out which six cylinders my flat bed is running on and which two weren't helping. #7 had a shorted plug wire. #6 didn't.  :-\ I've got to can the Hooker headers. They make routine maintenance difficult and I'm sure I gain nothing except the annoying boat sound. It may be time for the engine and trans swap from my '89 into the '68. Good engine and a 700 R4 with a 4X4 transfer case. Will other transfer cases bolt to the 700R4? The drive shaft is on the wrong side for the front differential I have from a '90 Suburban. I could use the T400 from the Suburban and it's transfer case but I'd like the OD of the 700. Too much to think about. I got my mill up and running now for the Lathe. Life is easier with tools.  ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3546 on: February 02, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »
 Luckily I had not thrown away the old rusty ford subrail assy yet. Got the measurement off the overhang, not flush like I presumed. It should be 3/16" to 1/4",  new rails were another 3/16" longer not allowing the qtr panel to go under it. Trimmed and set body back up so I can mark where to weld in the B pillar inners. Body on, body off, repeat >:(

Beautiful spring weather here, 60 yesterday, 70 today and 72 or so tomorrow :) Too nice to be inside, so I got some outside things done. I was hearing a SBC winding quick and high this afternoon. Heard it again around 3pm, a hard launch squeel and 1st/2nd gear. Caught a glimpse of it shooting back this way on the hiway. A '70-73 Camaro, green in color to match my envy ;D I suspect a young man on the east side of town may have traded for it.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3547 on: February 02, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
Ahhhh..progress on the A...looking good..has came along way....still not up to your temps here tomorrow suppose to be warmer

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3548 on: February 04, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Nice progress on the A. I am getting a 31 A coupe back in to finish. I chopped the body and built the frame and all the suspension awhile back, then it went to wyoming for his dad to finish the body work and paint but for health reasons he couldn't finish it. So the frame and all the components are coming for me to paint and detail, after that the body is coming.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3549 on: February 06, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
Today we finally got a real good snowstorm  8).
6-10" in the valley. Which means my favorite trails has double that. Im so going wheeling this weekend.  ;D

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3550 on: February 06, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
We got 5-6 inches here. We go "wheeling" every time we do the 4 miles to the highway. Then it is just insanity driving with the Flatlanders.  >:(
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3551 on: February 06, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
Rattiac, sounds like fun. Be safe out there. ;)

My brother called yesterday, he was getting snow in SLO county Ca. Made a little snowman for his wife :D  Like Sixball said, brother stayed home as not to chance the "flatlanders" incedents.

I needed to go to the shop and re-arch (shrinker) the B-ville lower back panel for the '30 coupe, but hands froze in 15mins, it'll wait! Crazy weather here, spring is over again. It never got above 23  last couple days. Started with fog, then freezing fog. About an hour ago we had thunder, lightning and it was raining soft ice balls.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3552 on: February 07, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »
Had 2 storms yesterday that totaled 19" at my house. It's been year's since we've had snow like this.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3553 on: February 12, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
Back in the 50s here, 60s end of the week. Shop got warm enough I got the back panel of the 30 A coupe re crowned.

Lost two more older friends this past week, my old friends are rapidly getting pretty thin these days. One was the old boy that had our local salvage yard. He just came over a couple weeks ago, looked real good, heart attack.  Buried him today, the other thursday.

I was really put out during the grave side service. Our local American Leigon wing did the military thing, taps and 21gun salute. Then they turned tail and left, and most knew Jim!  I've never seen such a rude thing at a funeral before. 'Ol Jim's son looked up and just shook his head. Many were offended. Gonna be some ass chewing at there next meeting! >:(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:18:48 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3554 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
Sammons, Sorry about your friends. There is too much of that around here too. Maybe the American Legion guys had another service. It gets busy for them in this area. There are few of them and the services are sometimes many miles apart. :(

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter