Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 272600 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #3285 on: April 14, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
Still sounds like a bad module :o   Not impossible to get (2) bad ones in a row...especially if it's not a Delco.  I'm sure you used thermo grease to keep the module cool. Next time it starts start wiggling the wires looking for a bad connection.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3286 on: April 14, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
make sure there is a flat ground wire under the coil that goes out to the plug in area where the hot wire and tach hookup are.  They sometimes get left out when changing the coil.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3287 on: April 14, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
Thanks guys. The ground is there. It could be a bad connection from or in the switch. I have had trouble with the START function but not the RUN hot wire but it could be that. And yes twi bad modules is not unheard of. This one is Borg warner brand but made in China.
Today was fun. I tried to drill out the broken starter bolt on the Yukon and only succeeded in breaking the corner of the block off where it had cracked when the bolt broke. Now what? I drove the '53 pickup down and we went out to get more tools from my friends storage shed. On the way back there was a front end shimmy. I pulled off the highway and whenI stopped the left front wheel fell off. All six lug nuts were in the hubcap they had come completely off. Something similar happened several tears ago. I think it has to do with the 6 lug wheels beginning it '72 with disc brakes. they have a raised area that doesn't allow the lugs to clamp tight to the drum on the older cars and trucks. I was able to pull the drum and get a ride home and replace 3 lugs to get me home. I'm glad I pulled over! :o The way I feel tonight all three rigs could find new homes. >:(
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3288 on: April 15, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
wow close call.   I think you hit nail on the head for all six nuts to come off the wheel is not sitting perfectly flat against the brake rotor.

I once used a wheel adaptor to mount cragar ss on my 75 el camino in the rear.  Same thing happened snapped all 5 bolts and studs right off.  There was a little edge on the rear drum preventing the adaptor from sitting flat. 

About 40 mph or so all I heard was crunch, car went up in air on drivers side, making a mess of the quarter panel as wheel rolled under it.  Came down on the asphalt .  Big time embarrassed.

That was a black 75 el camino SS 454, only available here in Canada.  Like to find that car/truck again.

mike lynch

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3289 on: April 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Yes Mike we were lucky. Two old guys doing about 60 on a rural highway. I pulled about 200 yards down a dirt road to Pee. When I stepped out the front wheel fell off and the axle went into the dirt. It would have been a whole different deal at 60. The other side was not as tight as it was supposed to be. Almost 20 years ago with the same kind of wheel all 6 studs broke also on the left front and its low speed. They are a stock Chevy wheel that I am sure others are running on these old trucks since the drums are the same through 1970 on the 4 wheel drives. There will be none of those wheels on the place. :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3290 on: April 15, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
WOW. The angels were watching over you guys.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3291 on: April 16, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
I have a couple of pictures but can't post them here as I have no online host.
All three rigs are home. We towed the Yukon home just as it started to rain. I drove the '53 home yesterday evening with 3 lugs on it. I drove the '68 flatbed home this afternoon. I hot wired around the ignition switch and it ran fine. I wouldn't think a bad switch would do all the intermittent stuff that was going on. Maybe with the HEI a bad connection can cause havoc. I know grounds are very important with electronics. I have another switch somewhere and I'll clean up the wires while I'm at it. I'll also change the plugs and wires since the rest is new. I feel a lot better tonight and have given thanks for my luck. Saved by an enlarged prostate. Maybe I won't get that medicine. ::)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3292 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
sixball if you have an enlarged prostrate, taking a wiz is going to get harder as it continues to grow and shut down the hose.

Having an enlarged prostrate is nothing to fluff off.  When I first found out the doc said, "you have an overly enlarged prostrate"  , your PSA level is at 5.7 , I will see you next year.   I said NO, I will see you in 3 months and will have another of those PSA tests at $35 because healthcare doesn't cover it..

I get another PSA test, the finger again and PSA level has climbed to 6.1.   I ask for another test 3 months from now and so on. This goes on for a year and I am now at PSA level of 7.6 .

I ask doc what a PSA level for prostrate should be, says less than one.  He decides to put me on a drug called AVODART, taken once daily.    It shrinks the prostrate allowing the hose to flow more.

After a period of 5 years my PSA level is less than 0.79 a number he said would be almost impossible to reach .

Prostrate problems is nothing to avoid, if you do not know its the biggest killer of men of all diseases.  Trick is to get the finger and stay alive, don't, well you know the result as a few friends of mine did not heed their doctors and paid ultimate price.

mike lynch

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3293 on: April 16, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Absolutely right Mike, Thanks.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3294 on: April 16, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
Got insurance and tags on the '33...still working on original steel rear fenders
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:54:18 PM by FATnLOW »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3295 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
Allright Ed, feels good to get all that paper work crap done. The old Chevy's coming right along. Looks like fun with fenders day! ;D

Just got my big mess/ tools picked up so I can get back on the damn Furd coupe.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3296 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
Have not been working on the '33 in the last couple of day had front end aligned...been too sore to do any thing the last couple of days...my son and I rebuilt his brick stoop/stairs to his front door and it kicked  our rear ends.......
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:43:46 PM by FATnLOW »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3297 on: April 16, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »
Have not been working on the '33 in the last couple of day had front end aligned...been too sore to do any thing the last couple of days...my son and I rebuilt his brick stoop/stairs to his front door and it kicked  our rear ends.......

I've work the last 5 weekends with my oldest son doing some odd job work to pick up some extra car cash. We've insulated a ceiling in a basement, put in a new sump pump basin and pump and run the electric, tore down some bedroom walls in the basement. Out side we tore down a 5' x 16' concrete porch that set on two concrete block retaining walls that supported it over a drive in basement garage door, built a new 8' x16' deck and tore out 25' long retaining walls on both sides of the drive and rebuilt them using interlocking wall blocks and it's kicked our butts as well. I'm getting to old for this type of work I think  :) 

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3298 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »
Wow.  ... Too much for me....this work i did was a freebie only pay i got was lunches
and no beer as it was a cold weekend ... and to work with my son on his house.....but we stayed hooked up until we got it done....next he wants to pull carpet out and lay a floor....or Dad can lay on the floor...lol

39delux

• Daily Driver
  • Drive it!
« Reply #3299 on: April 20, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
Short while ago I posted that I got a swamp cooler.  Got a question about painting it.  The metal is galvanized and paint is peeling off.  I want to avoid peeling again so what do I need to do to paint over galvanized metal?

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter