Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 309643 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #3195 on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
After I got the '39 on the road I started adding electrical circuits and first thing I know there's a rats nest under the dash.  Decided to redesign the stop light circuits, consolidate the relays and spiffy up the wiring.  In the picture (I hope) from left to right is the TAC (controller for drive by wire), relay panel, main fuse panel, throttle pedal, fuel injection fuse panel (hard to see) and F.I. relays.  That take up a little over half of the firewall space and the A/C takes up the other half along with the ECU.  Getting to old to bend up like a pretzel and work under the dash.  Anyone relate to that?

That looks very organized ;)
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3196 on: January 28, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
Nice...Do I see a little "Evel Knievel" flavor in that bike!

Now that you mention it.. ;)
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two aint bad 8)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3197 on: January 29, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
Madmike, really interested in the e-brake set up.  Wonder if will hold a car at idle in gear?  I have a Ford 8.8 with disc and a top hat shoe design for PARKING brakes.  A popsicle stick behind the wheel would work better.  Do they sell the e-brake alone?

39 DELUXE........I have had the wilwood e brake setup on my 35 coupe with jag rear since 96, I have used it in only a few times since 96 when installed as I live on a flat area where not needed.

The 8.8 rear would use a specific kit and I would have to assume that Wilwood has designed a specific system to work on it better than factory.  I would telephone tech at Wilwood and talk to them.

My 91 cutlass supreme international was first car I had with 4 wheel discs,  I think it had a drum type system inside the rear rotor.  I do remember it being a pain in ass as the cables would seize up every other year.  The rear disc brakes were a pain also, I never thought the 4 wheel disc system worked properly ansd not function the way it should.  My 96 Pontiac bonnevile SSEI with disc--- drum was a far superior system, hands down.

With jaguar setup we are making with disc to back and spot brake to forward it requires lokar cable and U clip , plus rod across frame for the cables to hook up to.  Imagine what ever your putting the 8.8 rear in will also need floor or firewall mount emergency pedal system designed from one end to the other to work as a unit.

Talk to the wilwood technical people.

mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:47:20 PM by madmike3434 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3198 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Moose, I love the old Sportsters, especially the ones set up for the dirt.

39deluxe, That's the simplified version?  :o  Any wiring under the dash of an old Chevy is a pain and yes it tends to grow with use.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3199 on: January 29, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
After I got the '39 on the road I started adding electrical circuits and first thing I know there's a rats nest under the dash.  Decided to redesign the stop light circuits, consolidate the relays and spiffy up the wiring.  In the picture (I hope) from left to right is the TAC (controller for drive by wire), relay panel, main fuse panel, throttle pedal, fuel injection fuse panel (hard to see) and F.I. relays.  That take up a little over half of the firewall space and the A/C takes up the other half along with the ECU.  Getting to old to bend up like a pretzel and work under the dash.  Anyone relate to that?

I got smart and put a deep lasagna tin in the hole where the battery went and installed the francis panel and ran all the wiring to it.  Now if theres a problem lift up seat and get probe to check continuity of fuses. Battery is in trunk.
 Have everything I need to put system under the seat of the touring this spring including ignition key .  Except the battery has to stay under the seat, no place else for it to go but stock location.

No more pretzel man for this old geezer.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike lynch

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #3200 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:48 AM »
Would like to find a different place for the electrics because if there is a problem it's 2AM and the batteries in the flashlight are dead.  My seats are sliding and bolted down so I would have to get under the car to unbolt them to get to the panel.  Rear seat is out also because the air bag towers take up lots of that room.  Trying to upload the wiring diagram for the brake/TCC lockup relays but for some reason it won't load.  File is a JPEG and 600kb in size.  Any ideas?

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3201 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »
Well since I cant seem to get any work done on the 32 these past few winters , im taking the summer/fall off from carshows. I figure I'll get more work done on it.

Haven't spent much more than a half hour in the shop for a few brief periods during the weekends due to the cold.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3202 on: January 30, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »
Would like to find a different place for the electrics because if there is a problem it's 2AM and the batteries in the flashlight are dead.  My seats are sliding and bolted down so I would have to get under the car to unbolt them to get to the panel.  Rear seat is out also because the air bag towers take up lots of that room.  Trying to upload the wiring diagram for the brake/TCC lockup relays but for some reason it won't load.  File is a JPEG and 600kb in size.  Any ideas?

On my 33 I put the fuse blocks, relays and etc on a drop down panel, two wing nuts and the panel drop down.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3203 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
Been removing paint from the 33M, attached a picture of a "hole in the cowl repair" I found done many years ago with brass :o

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3204 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
Been removing paint from the 33M, attached a picture of a "hole in the cowl repair" I found done many years ago with brass :o

Dang Ed, thats a crude blob of crap. :o  I brazed a lot of patches in the 70s.....but WTH?

Been a heck of a month. Either my two small finger extensor tendons on my right hand popped or ruptured, no can extend now.  >:(  Trying to retrain hand around it.
Lost a good friend sunday to chemo(cancer), and another one this morn in a firey crash on the hiway west of town driving a tanker (full of crude) when a guy pulled out in front of him at a stop sign.

On a good note, friend brought me 2 headlamp assy's to fix for his 28 pick up build. He found them in a shed in a box. As close as I can tell the are a good match for Guide 682-C. The only marking is "Guide" on the mounting bracket. Had to ding out dents and weld up some small rust holes on one bucket, trim ring and retainer ring.

Quick review on materials.
Filler, my friend was told by Car Quest Evercoat Rage Xtreme was no longer available, so he brought me Rage Ultra. That stuff really leaves pin holes. I looked on the net, Rage Xtreme is all over the place and no mention of "disontinued" >:( 

Primer, Acrylic Lacquer. I had him pick up some 5-star Xtreme Acrylic Lacquer primer sufacer, $54 per gal, 50/50 thin rate. I know nobody much uses this stuff, but I still love it.  ;D Tried it today, opened the lid....how long has it been since you opened a full gallon of anything! It actually took 60% thinner to get a good shoot. 3 full wet coats and 15 mins...I was sanding. Filled great, dried quick, had pleanty of material to sand, sanded easy. Finally found something that worked like the old! :)

Buckets, filler pin holes, primer, done buckets.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3205 on: February 14, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »
I use that 5 star primer and love it for it's fill. The price is great. I have to spray it with a 2.0 needle in my gun.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3206 on: February 14, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
The bucket look great

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3207 on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
SAMMONS.............those guide headlights are aftermarket for 1937 and up trucks.. You could find them on almost anything....diamond reo, mack, metro and lots more.  I have been running them on my 35 chevy coupe since 1970. 
The ones with the optional lights on top are the more popular for signals and 4 way flashers and even a cowl light type.
There are two types of glass for the tops , the rounded ones you have and also the pointed ones.

These lights have proved to be so popular somebody actually reproduced them.......speedway motors ?

A few years ago when the high boy ford guys discovered them, were selling on ebay for as high at $900 a pair, not a mistype.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3208 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks.
Ghost, I've been using a used U.S. Army surplus ($10 for head) Binks model 18 the last 17yrs. It has engraved 2H on the head? I call her Bertha, she will throw out the material. Works great on Acrylic Enamel or Urethane Clear Coat. My favorite guns use to be Sharp model 75. Would replace every 1.5-2yrs. Gun head was $59 and new cup assy was $16 :D  Then they discontinuied and brought out the model 775. Never really liked it.

Thanks Mike, he didn't have a clue what they were (other than free ;) I'll call him in a min.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3209 on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
I cant believe how dark my shop used to be with the old flourecents.  I put 24 new led bulbs in and with these you don't need balasts , so they came out and the fixtures were wired up direct. Damn I might not need my drop cord anymore, it's like daylight in here WOO HOOO. i MIGHT BE ABLE TO SEE TO WELD AGAIN.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter