Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 249046 times)

cocobolo

• Master
What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
There's a similar title to this on another site, but 99% of it has nothing to do with cars.  Often I will help someone with some sort of work on their car, but if it's not on my car it wouldn't get posted.

So I figured we could have a thread here for stuff that doesn't necessarily involve your own build.  You just never know what interesting little tidbits there are that might show up.

So for a good chunk of the day I helped my stepson port match his new Edelbrock manifold to his Patriot aluminum heads.  This particular manifold has only 8 bolts all together holding it on to the heads.  There's kind of a big gap between the two bolt holes at both ends of the manifold.  The heads do have provision for two extra bolts on each side, so we will be drilling the manifold out to match.

I was a bit disappointed in the casting of the manifold, as it looked like the cores for the ports themselves were all twisted.  Most of the tops were OK, but the sides were all way out of line, in some cases up to 1/4".   By actual measurement, we increased the port area by 25%.  Do I need to mention that it's a Chevy engine?  350, .060 over, Comp cam & lifters, roller rockers etc.

Last time I did any port matching was on a set of iron heads...what a difference with aluminum!  We used a combination of carbide cutters on the air powered die grinder and coarse hand files.  It's really surprising how quickly you can remove metal with the files.  Then we used the small sanding burrs to polish the passages with.  All in all they came up pretty nicely.  Naturally I didn't have my camera there!  Maybe I can sneak over there tomorrow and snap a few pics.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

trbomax

• Master
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Out here where I am nobody ever comes around to work on anything! In the last 3 years I dont think there has been 4 people come over here.The only person that helps me is my wife,but then she's always here already!
28 chevy 3 window,reproduced in 'glass in 1961-1965

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »
I took advantage of the rainy day to work in the garage, I made rear shock mounts put my shorty headers on, mounted my calibers and made my fuel tank straps. 

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Worked on finishing my tail pipes on the 33 by fabricating the rear hangers.  Amazing how long it takes to make two simple brackets.  Got a visit from an old friend that is building a fiberglass 35 Chevy coupe.  He wanted to check out my progress.
Working for a living gets in the way of finishing my car

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
I spent the afternoon checking the fit of the rear fenders on the roadster. These are not for the car so they are kicking my butt, they do fit the opening for the most part, but are gonna require a little cutting, weldng, and fitting, and I dont even have the front fenders yet.  I might have to rethink the fender idea....John

cocobolo

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »
I spent the afternoon checking the fit of the rear fenders on the roadster. These are not for the car so they are kicking my butt, they do fit the opening for the most part, but are gonna require a little cutting, welding, and fitting, and I don't even have the front fenders yet.  I might have to rethink the fender idea....John
Don't give up that easily John...isn't that part of what hot rodding is all about?  Getting stuff to fit that wasn't made to in the first place?
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

3WBill

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
 I spent most of the morning  yesterday looking for more upholstery material. I want to do my own upholstery and I have already bought my sewing machine a year or three back. I found a smoking deal on 25 yards of vinyl fabric a month ago. All  I need now is some thin foam and backing for when I make my pleats and rolls. Both me and my "big bro" are planing on doing it ourselves.  Well I am, cocobolo  will probably get help from his missus. If there are any pro upholsterers, don't be afraid to jump in with any advice as it's been 35 years or so since I done any.
 I will be honest, this is the best site on I am on and I keep inviting people to join.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
Car related:

Yesterday my shop Monitor 41 kerosene heater decided to die...no heat!  Picked up a parts unit and did some R&R ..still not working.  :'(

Got up this morning to about 6" of wet-heavy snow.  Not really cold, just slush and mud around here.

I've had enough Global Warming for one year!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

Kiwijeff

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Ive just eatin breakfast. I had sausages, eggs, toast, hash browns, and a cup of Tea :) How is this car related? Well, if your going to be working in the shed all day on cars, best you have a great breakfast.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
I spent the afternoon checking the fit of the rear fenders on the roadster. These are not for the car so they are kicking my butt, they do fit the opening for the most part, but are gonna require a little cutting, welding, and fitting, and I don't even have the front fenders yet.  I might have to rethink the fender idea....John
Don't give up that easily John...isn't that part of what hot rodding is all about?  Getting stuff to fit that wasn't made to in the first place?
Yeah you're right, so I wont give up just yet. I decided I jumped ahead on the fender fitting idea so today I spent the better part of sunday finishing up the flooring and toe board on the roadster. and now I feel a lot better....Thanks I needed that.  John

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »
I spent the afternoon checking the fit of the rear fenders on the roadster. These are not for the car so they are kicking my butt, they do fit the opening for the most part, but are gonna require a little cutting, weldng, and fitting, and I dont even have the front fenders yet.  I might have to rethink the fender idea....John
John,
I hope you don't give up on the fenders.  Certain cars like mine and yours need that classic look with fenders.  Something about fitting the wheels and tires so they fill the fenderwell with the right rake really make the car.  Just my opinion :)
Tom
Working for a living gets in the way of finishing my car

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »
I spent part of the day fitting fuel tank straps I made yesterday and cleaning a little on my tank.

logride

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
Got the 27 out for a ride. While I was out my daughter called. Her 97 monte quit. I went and checked it out. The Fuel pump sounded like a cat in heat. So the kids took the woodie home while I waited for my buddy with the toater.
Did I say it was her first day with her license. She was out and about with a friend.

Here's a picture of her as a new 16 year old.
Never underestimate the power of a lubricant.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
Logride you gotta be her hero now. I remember my daughters first drive away from home with a new licence.  I went through it 4 times....WHEW

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:13:24 PM »
Working on the 40 Ford Chopped /stretched pick up.. have  to pull motor  for the last  time ( I Hope)
Gonna do some body work then it goes into Black Suede Primer. .   then on  to e-bay

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Dustin & Mention this forum
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
StoveBolt VIN Decoder
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter