Author Topic: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully  (Read 123202 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully
« Reply #330 on: October 08, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
FATnLOW glad your feeling better, those summer colds can kick your butt. My problem is I think to far ahead and when I get to that next step...plans change. Hope your plans are better than mine! ;)

Vette, I guess i'm all Chevy. Just 20% Corvette. ;D  Opps, I guess that's not right. The roof insert was a Musss, can't say it (brand starts with a F). :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:52:13 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #331 on: October 10, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
Had other plans.lol  I woke up with fuzzy vision, so driving this morning was out. So, back to the console. Finished up the stereo box, hammered out rounder corners and welded it in. Then onto the console lid where I needed to change out the power window switch holes. The orig GM whole was smaller and square, new switch was larger and more rectangular.
I first cut the switch pockets from the new cheap looking abs plastic holders and filed them down to minimum.  Then held them over the gm holes to mark and cut out. Once fit I put masking tape on the front side of the holes so the cold weld epoxy wouldn't squirt out. Then put the epoxy into the hole and pressed down into with the new pockets. Then put more all around the inner base. Let it dry sanded and laid down the vinyl wrap cover and trimmed. 

Heres a couple pics
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:39:23 PM by sammons »

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Looks good ..I like what you have done on the console

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Sammons,
Nice work!  Looks like you're going to have a lot of leg room in that coupe.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
Thanks guys. Fatnlow I thought the stereo bump was going to look like a big red monkey butt.  :-\  I think keeping it as shallow a possible might help a bit. It will have to do for now. I'll be getting a black face stereo later, the silver one is just my old mock up unit.

Tom it's actually got alot. I can slide the seat all the way forward and just touch my feet to the firewall.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:14:43 AM by sammons »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
Sammons I like the console looks great. what seats did you use to get so much room for the console?

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »
62131, I used the Vette floor pan, seats and console. That's why I had to widen the front of the body (at firewall) 7.5", and that allowed use of the Vette frt crossmember.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
I just went back and  read the first of your build thread,

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2015, 11:55:36 PM »
62131, I used the Vette floor pan, seats and console. That's why I had to widen the front of the body (at firewall) 7.5", and that allowed use of the Vette frt crossmember.

I was looking at your dash in place pictures and thought, whats going on here?????
That dash is really wider, cut right in the middle and  a piece added.............huuuuum. 

oh ya , I remember he cut the whole car down the middle and made it wider .

Very trick.........mike lynch     8)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
sammons that car ought to be real cozy for those long rides with all that leg room and creature comforts.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »
Now that the heat, a/c unit is securely mounted I'm finding out what doesn't fit. The original planned location for the stereo now doesn't have enough depth, the fuse box location also. I wanted it to the right side of the console with a cover for easy access.(fuse box) So i'll have to build a box to space the stereo out and on an angle. Built that, but have tosink it yet. I like the angle, just not sure of the look yet, gonna need some round corners before i'm happy. The glove box is only going to be 4" deep now also. Still in thinking on new fuse box location. It will all have to wait as I have other things to do this weekend.

Steve decided to go with swing pedal and booster on the firewall,,,thought it would be easier,,got it all installed  now have to contend with finding another location for my fuse panel as the swing pedal altered my planed location for the fuse panel ,basically not enough room.....maybe a console off the center of the firewall on the trans  hump......yet again might end up under the seat  or on the drivers kick panel,,,,wherever I located it has to be easy accessible.......

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
on my 1935 stdard 3 w coupe I put the fuse panel under the seat on passenger side where the stock battery would be. I bought a deep lasanga dish backing rectangle thing in cooking dept and mounted the ron francis panel in it.  Battery got relocated to the pass side trunk in a marine box.

Yup , also ran 34 master dash with glove box, installed air unit and 4" deep is all that's there for glove box.

I made a wood box 10 x 10 and covered it with top insert upholstery, mounted the radio cd player into it along with a remote for the 10 disc cd changer in trunk, right in front of seat in middle at max distance seat can travel.  I put it there because I found that a custom made consul running from dash did not give me enough foot room.

you can run all the wires down the kick panels and thru floor into the lasagna tray. make sure you use o-ring sheet metal  grommets for wires to run thru.

mike      8)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Quote FATnLOW
Steve decided to go with swing pedal and booster on the firewall,,,thought it would be easier,,got it all installed  now have to contend with finding another location for my fuse panel as the swing pedal altered my planed location for the fuse panel ,basically not enough room.....maybe a console off the center of the firewall on the trans  hump......yet again might end up under the seat  or on the drivers kick panel,,,,wherever I located it has to be easy accessible.......
[/quote]

Ed, thanks alot. Haha, now I remember I have to figure that out. Been busy with other things.
My fuse box (Speedway) won't fit in my kick panel, it's to thick (sticks out 3/4"past). I just looked again ::), I don't have much room under dash on the pass side once the glove box goes in and the 2-a/c lines and 2-heater hoses ( and they all will go through the ledge,  bottom portion of the silver insulation). If the frt wires on the harness are long enough I can mount mine behind the console. I have to fab that up anyway because I added 10" to the length of the Vette floorpan. I just don't want to splice the wire harness for length.  I guess I should lay it out and see?

Your choices sound good, yep they have to be easy access these days. I'm not going to contort around on my head/back anymore to change a damned fuse! ;D

Mike, wish I could but..........ain't no room under my seat!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:05:23 PM by sammons »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
Oh ya, you done seriously messed with stock interior plan.  My seat is moved back so that rear package shelf is only 5" wide, think its 8 " farther back than stock.

Re the air con.........after installing a vintage air system but never charging it, I found with the vent open and the rear window rolled down, there was no need for air and it gets 80--90 here thru summer with tons of humidity.  I just use the air con system heater motor and hoses for the fall nights when it might get chilly.

Secret is the firewall is sealed with that aluminum backed insulation , sprayed with 777 glue.  The same material is also on the floor along with the nascar bubble center double aluminum sided stuff on top, sealed the floor. It works , but you guys deep down south get some killer heat and humidity and it may not be enough.

mike       8)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »
Yep Mike, all changed from original configuration.  ;) it didn't start out that way, but certainly ended up. I had no idea how much would change from when I got the shell. Would I do it again?  Hell no, way too much work!

Originally my late Uncle (during build options) had talked me out of a/c. He said that my '57 did't really need a/c. I had insulated the crap out of it, and even with it being black, it wasn't bad. But it got air flow from above the headlamps, and with the vent windows cracked it stayed decent. Many trips across the Mojave to Calif in it.

But after loosing the option of a roll down rear window (due to rear suspension and other mods) and removal of the big vent windows,  gonna need it now. When it gets well over 100° for at least 2months during summer here.(and me turning into a wuss) 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal