Author Topic: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully  (Read 116133 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: '35 standard 3w build: hopefully
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
Well it's been over two months since I have touched the coupe. I've  been working on the shop, I got the wiring finished in the storage/clean room/compressor room and bath. Finished the plumbing stub out, the electrition started the conduit for the rest of the shop, and my buddy started the sheet rock. He's got a company coming down monday to float the floor back up to grade, (15x20 in the S.E. corner, sink hole) so I got the corner all cleaned out and clear sunday. I still don't have room for the coupe right now, and can tell it's not going to happen this summer. So......

Slept all yesterday, (I was wore out) and decided i'll just have to do it at the house. Stepped out there this morning,  looked it over, got a little overwelmed.  :o Trying to figure out where to begin again, kinda like starting all over again. Gonna sit down and make a list of what still needs to be ordered to get started on the chassis. With no tie downs in my garage floor, I had better pull the frt springs while I still have the motor/body on. Rebuild the control arms etc then pull it apart to do the rest........I think! ???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:55:17 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »
YeeeHaww, felt good this afternoon and pulled down the suspension. You gotta love the older Chevrolet engineers, simple and stout! This old vette stub is 38 yrs old and came right apart. Spent 30mins pulling radiator, a/c condenser, inner grill gaurd, and just under 2hrs on the suspension tear down. Right side spring came right out but got a little light in the front for the left. So luckily I have a built in tire rack on front and it was just enough weight to get the left safely out.  Damn good day for me, feels good to get back on the coupe! ;D

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »
Glad to see you were able to get back on the coupe...Been hot here ..Just working on mine 4-5 hours a day

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #288 on: July 12, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »
FATnLOW,  did you get any of that heat relief we had the past week and a half?  Untill yesterday it was highs in the 70's and low in the upper 50's.

Been cleaning the frt suspension components and repainting. I ran out of muratic acid yesterday on my frt brake dust shields, so I tried(for 20mins) cleaning the rust off with a power wire brush and not getting much done. I had my buddy pick some up this morning for me, just 15 mins to clean both (inside and out). Should have just waited yesterday. I wouldn't recommend this route to most people, it's quick but extreamly hazardous to your health and well-being if handeled improperly!! !!!!!

Here is what I have done so far. Time for a beer and a nice rest down stairs where it's really cold! ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:44:22 PM by sammons »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
sammons    your parts are looking great, how did you apply the muriatic acid and how long did you let them soak.  I'm thinking about doing my hood panels that way.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
62131, I put a couple inches in a plastic Folgers coffee can and drop all my nuts and bolts in, then use a paint strainer to pour into another smaller container to retrieve. On the larger parts I just  use a paint brush to coat and Carefully use an old tooth brush. Just takes 5-10 mins per soak. On body panels I put it in a weed sprayer and just respray every 10 mins and it,( for the most part) just runs off. Acationaly on really bad panels I use a scotch brite (which melts away) or 0-steel wool to scrub with. Then I just mix up some baking soda and water with a
scotch brite to neutralize,  then hose of with water. Dry quick, flash rust comes fast! Stay up wind for sure and don't breeth! It will lock you up.lol

Here is what i'm currently using. Pool PH balance/ concrete etcher, under $4.00 per gal.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:00:58 PM by sammons »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
62131, I put a couple inches in a plastic Folgers coffee can and drop all my nuts and bolts in, then use a paint strainer to pour into another smaller container to retrieve. On the larger parts I just  use a paint brush to coat and Carefully use an old tooth brush. Just takes 5-10 mins per soak. On body panels I put it in a weed sprayer and just respray every 10 mins and it,( for the most part) just runs off. Acationaly on really bad panels I use a scotch brite (which melts away) or 0-steel wool to scrub with. Then I just mix up some baking soda and water with a
scotch brite to neutralize,  then hose of with water. Dry quick, flash rust comes fast! Stay up wind for sure and don't breeth! It will lock you up.lol

Here is what i'm currently using. Pool PH balance/ concrete etcher, under $4.00 per gal.

I take it your using it straight out of the container, I was going to dilute it some before use.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
Yep, I use it straight. I started out using the original "the works" toilet bowl cleaner years ago when it came out. I thought it did a good job on our hard water stains. One day I did my shower stall and it took the chrome plating on the water spicket down to the nickel, and the drain (pop up) stud was steel and looked like new. They have diluted it since (it's slow), so I found out it was muratic based. Been using that ever since, I think the pool stuff is around 31%. Just make sure if you dilute the acid to pour the acid in the water and not the other way around! (Or you will have a really bad day!)

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »
FATnLOW,  did you get any of that heat relief we had the past week and a half?  Untill yesterday it was highs in the 70's and low in the upper 50's.

Sammons..  I really enjoyed that cool spell we had along with the rain ....was raining here  Monday  thru Wednesday we got  8 inches of rain had but now it is hotter than heck.. about  105-110 with the  heat index

Been going out early in the morning and working until about  noon...Going to block the roof one more time then shoot some primer, then on to the frame  gotta  get it sand blasted....

Gonna try your parts cleaning  method on some parts

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
It works, just be darn carefull with the stuff. "Just because i'm a dumb ass, don't try this stuff at home"(disclaimer)  ;D I can't put on rubber gloves (my twisted fingers won't fit), but I strongly recommend them!

All we got was just under 3/4". We were supposed to get a bit more. Sure enjoyed having the a/c off and windows open though. ;)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #295 on: July 23, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »
I'm slowly gaining on the front end. My wrists have been giving me fits, so it's really slowing me down, but progress anyway. This is why we call him the Inspector,  he says i'm good to proceed.  ;D   The front rotors were thinner on the backside so.... had to order new Delco rotors, drilling out the hub to get the rotor off was a pain in the a$$!  I didn't use to mind, now I do.  :-\   Now I have to go dig up a dial indicator to check runout, the manual says .005 max.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:07:05 AM by sammons »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #296 on: July 23, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »
Sammons that car is such a nice and clean build. I bet it wil drive like a cadilac with that suspension.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
I second "The Inspector's" approval, nice work.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
Thanks guys,  I appreciate the kind words. :)  I just wish I could maintain the clean detail it would have gotten 5 yrs ago, I keep dropping and scratching everything assembling now. :-\  Oh well, gonna drive the wheels off it anyway!

Ghost my uncle always said Vettes road like a lumber wagon, but the only one I remember him driving was when he drove a '64 home dad had bought with the suspension wore out. I aways liked the way the C3's road, and with the wheel base streatched from 98" to 112", I hope it will be a little smoother. I bet with the 4 piston calipers and 11 7/8" rotors (and 1000lbs lighter) it should really shut down good.

Well I got the rotor runout dialed in at .0046 and .0049. It's really starting to get hot, so I might be about done for the day.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
That really looks good, Sammons, and it didn't take you long to do that front end compared to the pictures from just a couple weeks ago.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal