Author Topic: What year Chevrolet spins your crank?  (Read 6608 times)

Kiwijeff

• Master
What year Chevrolet spins your crank?
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
Best part about being a car guy, is the diverse range we have to choose from. I was thinking that we all have our favorites, so what year Chev do you like the most? Mines 1937. Ive liked em the most, ever since i was fifteen. Even tried to buy one, about sixteen years of age, and always wondered what happened to that rusty pile. Owner told me he was planning on doin it up. Never did get to own one, but at 47, theres still time. What year spins your crank, and did you ever realise your dream? :)
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
Re: What year Chevrolet spins your crank?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
Well Jeff, when I was a kid about a thousand years or so back, I always figured the '55 Chevy was the cat's meow.  I did get one and it went through lots of changes with me.
However, nowadays it is the '35 sedan that does it for me.  It was purely by a stroke of luck and being in the right place at the right time that I ended up with one.  I never was interested in any of the coupes which were - and still are - so popular.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:49 PM »
I like a lot of them but '41 is my favorite. A coupe, a wagon, or a sedan delivery.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

trbomax

• Stovebolt
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:52 AM »
 My first one that I got at age 14,was not even what I wanted when my dad bought it.It took 10 or 15 yrs but I LEARNED to love it and now, 56 yrs later ,wouldnt trade it for anything. But in 1958 i got a '58 impala conv. and that was my favorite for a long time. Over the years I had 3 of them,still have an open title for one but cant remember what happened to the car! The 32 and 33 5 window's are beautiful specimins,but the 28 was my first love and I always end up likeing it the most,kinda like the first girl that ever banged you in the back seat,you just cant forget it!
28 chevy 3 window,reproduced in 'glass in 1961-1965

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:45 AM »
Hi, new here. Don't know where the intro's go, so. Chevy's are my main, early in life it was my uncles  4yr old '57 2dr Ht (which I later got as my 12th birthday present from my father) and my dad's '35 standard 3w coupe hot rod from '63 (which is my avitar). Before my father passed we descussed his 35, and how bad he missed it. He had to sell it in late '63 when we relocated to So Cal. It was the first hot rod I remember as a kid. When we moved back to Kansas in '64, he tried to find it but no luck. Been passed on already. I wanted to build one with dad, but he died years before I found one.
Got one now, but I'm on my own. We were always into early Vettes, so I'm hoping he will be on board with this one. I'm using a C3 Vette suspension,  as the rear frame fits prefect between the rear tubs. I used the original frame rails between point A & B, and grafted the frt  frame horns on. I had towiden the front cowl 7" to accommodate the vette floor pan. That meant stretching the dash, pie cutting the frt roof, relief cutting the rear, and adding 10" to the floor pan. The 3 compartment behind the seat is great. I also get to use the fuel tank, now no usable space in the trunk, but pleanty behind the seat. Going with my Uncles old 301 and Muncie 4 sp. I hope mods are acceptable to this site, if not please delete and I will move on. Thanks for you time, and in time, I hope to be excepted.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »
Wow, thats a bunch of awesome replies. I should quote everyone, but wont due to it almost my bed time, and im a little tired. Sammon, a big welcome, and while ive not been here long myself, i think you and your build will fit in well here. Sounds very interesting. 37, 55, 35, 41, 28, 57, 58, quite a diverse range. Keep em coming guys, this is cool.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
I've owned so many different year Chevy's over the years that I probably would miss a couple if I listed them but the one that I always thought was one of the best designs that Chevy ever produced is one that I never owned. For some reason the 56 body 2dr hardtop style always floated my boat. I have owned both 55 and 57's but not a 56 but who knows maybe there is still one in my future...We'll see.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
I’ve owned a few Chevys over the years.  I had a few Novas (66 through 70) one Corvette (74) and some trucks (I liked my 67 the best out of all of them).  Of the Tri-Fives I always liked the 56.  I never have owned one but I remember my grandmother did.  I do like the 32 – 38 Chevys and I guess I’m lucky that I was able to get my 33 Cabriolet.  If I had to pick a favorite year it would be a toss up between 32 or 33.  I like the doors on the sides of the hood and the chrome grills.  I think they are great looking cars.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »
Over the years I have owned a few Chevys...as a kid about ,17 years old  had  a 55 Chevy Bel-Aire 2 dr sedan ,a 56 convertible Chevy, and a 57  Chevy 2 dr. 210 that I retrieved  from a junk yard and brought back to life...had all these at one time, those were the days. Had to get rid of all of these Classics when I went into the Air Force.  After raising a family I found a 39 Chevy 4-door sedan, thought  it was the ugliest thing I seen, but still had to have it, Then it was on to another 39 Chevy 2 door sedan Chopped ,sectioned  and channeled, should have never sold this one . Now it's a 1933 Chevy Master that is Kicking  my ass, must be age doing this, but still have a vision of what the 33 should be and hope to get it on the road this year for  Cruising the Coast.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Great replys and welcome sammons you will like it here. I grew up street racing a bunch of tri 5 chevies, but the one I like the best was a 55 150 sedan that used to be a big block race car back in the late 60's I aquired it during an afternoon romp with my black 57 hiboy hardtop, but thats another story. The 55 when I owned it had a real warmed over 292 small block built by John Bandimere, an M22 4 speed. with an 8 3/4 chrysler rear axle and 513 gears. This 55 had the look of the American Graffitti 55 before the movie, even with the open rear wheel wells. I used to run it with m/h  slicks on friday and saturday nights, and when I could get it to hook up the right front wheel would raise just enough to float my boat. I did real well with that car and a few years ago I wrote an article about that summer with that 55 chevy for the Good Times gazette. It was titled the Curtis Marauders that got published under the Bangin The Gears collumns.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »
  Well at 69 plus I think that my love of the automobile started with the shoebox FORD. I know i am a chevy guy. My favourite would be the one i had the most of 26 chevelles 1967, including 3 convertables  sure wish i had one now.They are all gone. Next on my list of favourites would be the 1932 chevrolet deluxe roadster of which i have had the privilage on owning 3 and still have one to this day along with a 1959 corvette and an 05 silverado with 03 hood in ghost flames and lowrider configuration.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »
  Well at 69 plus I think that my love of the automobile started with the shoebox FORD. I know i am a chevy guy. My favourite would be the one i had the most of 26 chevelles 1967, including 3 convertables  sure wish i had one now.They are all gone. Next on my list of favourites would be the 1932 chevrolet deluxe roadster of which i have had the privilage on owning 3 and still have one to this day along with a 1959 corvette and an 05 silverado with 03 hood in ghost flames and lowrider configuration.
Oh NO!  We both made the same mistake then.   :) I had TWO 1950 Meteors for my first two cars.  Fortunately I learned after the second one.  GM since then.   8)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
Me too, I started with a '38 Ford coupe when I was 14. I had several '38, '39, and '40 Fords including coupes, 2 & 4 door sedans, 2 woodies and a sedan delivery. There was a '51 woody too, Then I payed $55 for a '48 Chevy Fleetline that started every time. The doors stayed shut, the windows rolled up and down, the radio even worked. That was in '63. I still own one Ford because GM didn't make tractors. ;D And as for the girl trbomax mentioned, it was the front(only) seat of the '38 coupe. ::)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
I started with a 57 Chevy hard top wish I still had it, then moved up to a 1970 Nova, then to a 64  stingray completed a complete restoration on it should of kept that to. I really like the mid thirty Chevys the best. Gotta love the fat fenders.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
I started with a 57 Chevy hard top wish I still had it, then moved up to a 1970 Nova, then to a 64  stingray completed a complete restoration on it should of kept that to. I really like the mid thirty Chevys the best. Gotta love the fat fenders.
Not to derail this thread, but what did you have for power in your '64.  Just curious if you had any rear end problems because I have a '64 Vette IRS going in to my '35.  Not really anticipating any trouble, but it's always good to hear first hand from someone who actually had one.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal