Author Topic: An Observation...  (Read 5170 times)

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
An Observation...
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »
This seems to be a very rare site. 

Not by it's subject matter, heaven knows Chevy's are surely one of - if not the - MOST popular cars of all time.  And there's no doubt that there are FAR more Chevy engines in hot rods than all others combined.  That's a no brainer.  So what is it that makes this site truly rare.

Take a look at the statistics on here.  As of this writing there are only 174 members...that's right, well under 200.  Now look around at the posts on here. Did you ever see such an incredible number of the most informative and interesting posts anywhere?  I know I sure haven't.  And from such a small, but obviously well enlightened and passionate group of people to boot.  The tech section is brimming with top flight stuff, and it is very conveniently all put together.

But that's far from the whole story.  Take a look at the build threads.  Do you realize that something like 10% of all the members here have a build thread.  In case you think that isn't much, allow me to enlighten you.  Most other such sites run less than 1% on this count, a lot less.

Now take a look at the cars and builds posted here.  Have you ever seen such a collection of really great quality builds for such a small number of folks?  But what makes that even better is the willingness of everyone on here to share their hard earned information.

I don't know about the rest of you new guys here - I have been here but a few days myself - but I want to extend my thanks to everyone here especially the mods who try to keep us motley bunch in line.  And one more thing.  This is a site which I will not hesitate to show my grandson, who is only 14.  It's a rare hot rod site that combines all the attributes I have mentioned while somehow managing to keep the undesirable language out. 

So my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this fine site thus far...I only hope that I can try to do the same.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: An Observation...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
cocobolo

Thanks for the kind observations...one stat I noticed is that our forum has a bunch of members that have been on our earth a bit longer than some of the others.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:32:33 PM »
cocobolo

Thanks for the kind observations...one stat I noticed is that our forum has a bunch of members that have been on our earth a bit longer than some of the others.

Ed
You're more than welcome...and maybe with age comes the patience to do things right.  That plus the kids are gone which helps free up a few shekels!  :)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
I felt that way when I first got here a few weeks ago. Now I REALLY like it. It's about old Chevys. It's not all Antique Chevys, restored Chevys, custom Chevys, competition Chevys, hot rod Chevys .......... or in fact it's not just about Chevys. It's not limited to "traditional" or "period correct" builds. It's about OUR old Chevys or Pontiacs, Willys, Buicks, etc. I can not even find out what "Vintage Chevy GM" means. I hope it can stay this friendly and loose.  :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
Cocobolo,
I’ve enjoyed watching the site grow and early on made it one of my daily routines to check in and see what’s new.  It’s fun to watch everyone’s builds as they progress.  I’ve learned a lot from the enormous amount of technical info posted (Thanks Moose and Jef).  I hope to see it continue to grow with the same kind of people we have attracted to this point.  I have got to meet a few of you and hope to meet more over the summer.  Got to thank Ed for starting it and we’re looking forward to see where it goes.  I’m sure it’ll get better with time.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
I wonder if I can ask Ed a techie type question here?

I'm not the best at figuring out all this computer stuff.  But is there a way that I can view pics which are way too big for my screen without having to move them all over the place? I think you know what I mean...yes?

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
I wonder if I can ask Ed a techie type question here?

I'm not the best at figuring out all this computer stuff.  But is there a way that I can view pics which are way too big for my screen without having to move them all over the place? I think you know what I mean...yes?

Looks like I need to find an app that automatically re-sizes pictures. It not practical to have members re-size them to lets say 900X900 pixels before uploading them.  I'll look into it...BUT in the meantime time try placing your cursor on the "thumbnail" picture..but don't open it..instead try right clicking and try  "Open Link",  "in a new link" or in "Internet Explorer" depending on your browser.

Give that a try and let me know if that works.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:52:22 AM by EDNY »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
I use a freeware program called Irfanview to view all my pictures.  You can download it for free at www.irfanview.com.  When you get to a picture you want to open, click on the file name below the picture and the open file box comes up.  Click on open with IrfanView and it opens it up in a separate window.  You may have to adjust the display options to "Fit Images To Window" under the View pull down menu but it works great for me.  This program can also be used to resize pictures for attachments.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
Ed:

I actually have an old Mac and my browser is Firefox.  It seems to work better than Safari, which is the Mac browser.  Lots of things aren't the same between a Mac and a PC.  I will try what you suggest and see if it works. But as far as re-sizing our pics before we post, I use Imagewell, something I've had for years and it works very well.  It does things other than re-sizing as well.  Takes about 5 seconds to re-do a pic.  I think that on vBulletin they have an automatic re-sizer so perhaps this software has one as well???

Tom:

I've been really pleased with Imagewell so never had the need to use Irfanview, although I am aware of it.

Maybe the members could do their own re-sizing prior to posting anyway.  I know that the auto re-sizer on vBulletin takes awhile, especially when uploading multiple pics.  I think when I was first scouting around the site here that I did see a mention of what your max size was, so I keep mine down to 900 max.  Seem to be working OK.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
Ed  I tried your suggestion on opening the picture, its much quicker that way. I've been here for awhile now and also check in daily to see and read the new post it has now become a habit.
Again thanks for that information on viewing the pictures.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:31:05 PM by 62131 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
Ed  I tried your suggestion on opening the picture, its much quicker that way.

Again thanks for that info.

As mentioned I just installed a modification that will resize all future picture automatically.  The display size can be adjusted - if need be.

Ed

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
   Ed  i think that is a good thing  I never really had a problem with size. If i received a pic that was to large i usually just sent it to myself then when i opened it if it was to large i mailed it to myself again and outlook express would re-sized it for me.I have not been in the garage to much this year  I have been out running the snow ridges and ice fishing,on top of that i have a plow on my four wheeler and that's been a god send this year. I should be better prepaired next year  ,that or we are going to Arizona lol lol  wayner

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
If i received a pic that was to large i usually just sent it to myself then when i opened it if it was to large i mailed it to myself again and outlook express would re-sized it for me. wayner

Now why the heck didn't I think of that in the first place...sheeesh!

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
Oh yeah this is a great site with a great bunch of guys.   HMMM.   Do we have any female GM product line builders out there with a passion for cars on here yet? Great news on the photo resizing  my old camera would do it for me, but Alas it is no more.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal