Author Topic: headers - long version  (Read 4552 times)

Cool53

• Daily Driver
headers - long version
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
Another long winded story from me. And forgive me for delaying Moose's response, but I was on my way to Florida to work on the house and just got time to sit down.
I took a class on headers at PRI several years ago, and it was put on by one of the leading header manufacturers. Leading meaning expensive.
He spent over an hour explaining all the math that his company uses to make sure the correct size tube, the correct length of the primary pipes, the right flange, the right length and diameter collectors are use, yadda, yadda. He was very informative. I was just about ready to order a set for my next customer when he put down his chalk, walked away from the board, and sat on the table in front. Now, he says, real life takes over. We do all this figuring and find out that on a certain body style with a certain engine needs 2" primary tubes that need to be 38" long. and that the collector diameter needs to be 4" in diameter and 12.5" long. But when we get to the car we find that the 2" tubes can't possibly be used, because there is insufficient room to use them and get by the steering box and shaft. And we find that we can't stuff 38" long tubes in the chassis, there just isn't enough rom. So we switch to 1 7/8" tubes at 35". and we can only get a 3.5" collector that is 8" long under the car and around the transmission and crossmember. so that's what we go with.
At the end of his presentation I went over and thanked him for making a decision not to waste my money on his more expensive headers. I think he then realized how he had shot himself in the foot.
So headers are a bitch. If you are going racing and need to get everything you can out of your engine you are going to spend a lot of time or a lot of money getting things where they need to be to eek out that last half a horsepower. If you are going to go to the track and have some fun, run closed exhaust like I do, and have some fun, then use what fits the chassis, make all your bends and connections as smooth as you can. Use high flow mufflers and make sure the exhaust ports match on both sides and you should be fine. If you have a dyno hat will work with you and you want to make sure you aren't going in the wrong direction then that's fine, but it is tie consuming.
Pro Stock cars spend as much time on the headers as they do on the rest of the engine, sometimes.
Sorry I don't have better news. We are using a dynamic fluid program to make the tubes for the 292 straight six I am helping Leigh Walker with on his '46 pickup. Should be fun.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: headers - long version
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Jef

That's good information to know. I'm sure we've all been influenced at one time or another by the hype that the header manufactures use to convince the buyer that they can expect huge gains in HP by just bolting on a set of their headers. It looks like if you install a reasonably efficient system on your car you should be good to go in most real world cases. Thanks for your response.

Moose

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
i do like a good set of headers, but for the most part the old corvette ram horns work the best in my late 20s to early 30s  cars. I guess the main reason is that they fit under the hood with out touching the hood sides and burning off my paint, and the other reason is with a cross steer applicatiion instead of the traditional steering, the steering box and components get in the way constantly. I might try to put a more traditional steer in my buick and use these down through the frame since I won't be running hood sides.

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
Even guys that make custom headers that look great and fit well can't guarantee hp gains.  Moose and Ghost28 stated real life perfectly. And good manifolds don't loosen up all the time.  Some of the aftermarket manifolds look great and work well, like Sanderson, but stock manifolds used on GM, Ford, and Mopar high performance products worked reasonably well. And cast iron manifolds have lots of meat if you want to match ports.
Something I forgot to mention in more detail is transition plates. We usually make these out of aluminum or hot rolled, making it easier to work with. These are a match for your header flanges and bolt in between the headers and the head. With these you can blend the ports on either side of the plate. Saves scrapping a decent set of headers, makes better flow, and gives better spark plug clearance.car show and fly in at the Palatka, Florida Airport this Saturday. Draws a fairly big crowd. See you there!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal