General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Transmission dipsticks

(1/2) > >>

Cool53:
If you run a dipstick otter than the one that came with the trans then make sure it is marked correctly. With the pan off and the tube and stick installed the mark should be even with the trans pan mounting surface. You wouldn't believe how many transmissions fail because of over/under fill. Amen

themoose:
Great tip Jef...At one time or another most of us have installed one of those nice shinny aftermarket parts to dress things up and all of the dazzle makes it's easy to forget that in some cases form does not always follow function .

Moose

FATnLOW:
Very good tip....Do you have any tips on stopping leaks  where trans. dip stick enters the trans ,and  you have a new o-ring  on,  in a turbo 350

Cool53:
I-ring tubes are a problem. If you can, go to a later tune that uses the rubber sleeve going into the case. The tube is a smaller size on the newer tube and fits nice and tight , and if you are forcing the tube some to clear the valve cover or firewall then it is forgiving for that, where the o-ring tube isn't. I have had a few of the chrome tubes leak from the almost invisible seam. Hope that helps.
Also, transmission rebuilders parts supply like Dean in Agawam, MA have good quality tubes and sticks.

Don Smith:
I could not get my shiney new china napa dip tube to stop leaking, what a piece of cow pie. I bite the bullet and ordered a lokar dip stick and tube from speed way. What a difference, Where the tube goes into the tranny it has a nut to tighten it. Also good rubber seal. If it solves the problem I will buy it. Oh by the way my N.A.P.A. counter man sure looks strange with a chrome tube sticking out of the back of his pants ;D ;D  Don who is suffering from cabin fever, I want spring!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version