Author Topic: 1934 Chevrolet Roadster Pick Up.  (Read 38955 times)

Kiwijeff

• Master
1934 Chevrolet Roadster Pick Up.
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »
They didnt make these at the factory, but i reckon they should have. Recently, i purchased a 34 Chev Standard, or Junior, as they were called down my neck of the woods. It was rough, and a lot of people would have passed it up. I figured it may look ok as a RPU, so i grabbed it. After presure washing it, over two days, and letting it dry out 4 another two days, i pushed it into my small shed. A few weeks of going over it, saw me getting out the cutting wheel. Heres the result.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

Kiwijeff

• Master
Re: 1934 Chevrolet Roadster Pick Up.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:32 AM »
The Australians have them, and i suspect the came to Aussy as Knockdowns. These are chassis, running gear, and cowl, that were sent to the Colonies. Brand didnt matter in the late 20s, early 30s, and the missing bodies were built by local coach builders. The Australian versions look like they used a Roadster cowl, and windscreen. The back panel was squared off, and dont look very pretty. The doors were shorter as well, both ways. Heres a couple of pics from my thread over on the Hamb. These are Aussy versions, and i think the cream and red one is very cool.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »
Jeff,
Cool project!  Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll like it here.  Looking forward to watching the progress of the 34 RPU.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »
Great having you on the forum. I have a buddy that lives in Montreal, PQ, Canada - his family immigrated from New Zealand to Canada. The entire family are "motorheads". They have many pictures of 30's & 40's Chevys they owned in NZ.

Ed

33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
Jeff

First...Welcome aboard and second I agree that you have defiantly embarked on a great project. Will you use the stock engine of something else?

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Tom, it was good timing, i needed to find a good Chevy forum.                                  ED, Chevs were popular here, but our wet climate means a lot didnt survive real well. Mine must have been shed stored for most of its life, the put under a tree for a few years, with the right side taking the brunt of the weather.                           Moose, id like to run a small block Chev, but no concrete plans yet. The old Stovebolt seems to have some movement in it, and i just turned the car around yesterday, so i can start messing with it.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
Figured id tell you all a little about my car life, or OCD, (old car disease). I started at age ten, and quickly decided i was a Chevy guy. 55s and 57s were it for me, back as a teenager. After a short while, i discovered other brands were cool too, and became a hot rod obsessed teenager. It didnt help, that the local hot rod club rented a large shed, over my back fence. As a yong man, i started buying Holdens, an Australian GM product that was as close to a real Chevy as i could afford. My first V8 was a Holden. My first Chev came in my mid 20s, a 48 truck. Ive always regretted selling that truck. By my 30s, my career, women, and other distractions took me away from playing with cars, and the 80s billet and pastel paint, killed my love of hot rods. I still drove cool cars, mostly Holdens, and i had a 77 Holden Premier for ten years. At the start of 2000, i found old school hot rods had made a comeback, so i threw myself back into it, and joined the Hamb in 09.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Great to see those old right hand drive (RHD) Chevy's....do you have the VIN prefix (not actual VIN)?  Kinda curious - I remember seeing a post that the RHD Chevy's were built in NY (near NYC) because the export shipping ports would be closer.

Would be neat to build a RHD hotrod for over here...those RHD Mustang II racks are around $1000!

Ed

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
I brotht my first real old car in 2010, a rough Model A Truck, and proceded to tear into it. My skills were sharpened over the next year, and as i have many friends in car type employment, id had years of watching them at work, so knew what to do. I just needed to practise what id seen watching my friends doing for years. After a year of working on that old Ford, i decided to sell it, and buy a going car, as i wasn't getting any younger, and i wanted to be driving an old car, instead of working on them. I found a 1929 Hudson, that had been built over a 6 year period. It was ugly, but in my price range, and had a great stance. It just was ugly, but after years of building scale model hot rods, i knew i could make it cool. Spent 5 months transforming it, and had it back on the road, by Christmas, 2012. Its my daily driver, rain, hail, or shine. I then brought a 28 Hudson, as a project. I was missing working on old cars, so i tore into it. Im still messing around with it, but its missing a lot of parts.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
Ed, where do i find the Vin? I thought a lot of the early 30s cars were shipped from Canada, so thanks for the info. Great to know.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
So fast forward to November 2013, and a nieghbour buys a rough 34 Chev. Hes doing up a 61 Caddy, and decided he didnt want the Chevy. I told him id like to cut it up, and not long after, it was in my shed, getting cut. I didnt know if my vision would work, but im more than happy with how its progressing.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
Ed, where do i find the Vin? I thought a lot of the early 30s cars were shipped from Canada, so thanks for the info. Great to know.

Here is one link:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm

The cars were produced in Tarrytown, NY.. Factory Code "2". The car number plate on the 33 Chevys were on the floor - passenger side - near seat, made of zinc really hard to find one that has survived.

Still looking for the exact reference site, but recall reading that the RHD Chevy's were made in Tarrytown, NY for export across the Atlantic.

Ed

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »
Im always real interested to learn as much as i can about any car in my stable. Unfortanatly, i cant check the link right now, as i mostly post from my cheap phone, and whenever i go to links, it shuts my phone down. The aftermarket front end you mentioned would be a nice addition, and give a great ride. Ive not yet decided what to do about the running gear. Thats half the reason im here, to learn what my best options are.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
Jeff,
You'll have to post some pics of your Hudson daily driver.  Would love to see a before and after pic.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »
It's good to have ya over here. I have been following your build for awhile now.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal