General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Rack trick

(1/2) > >>

Cool53:
I have a car that had such a tight engine compartment there was virtually nowhere to run the steering shaft for the rack. Having been with Saturn and having sold cars to "Down Under" and other countries that drive on the other side of the road, I took the rack from a right hand drive car and flipped it over. That let me bring the shaft in from underneath. It won't work on many cars, but it bailed me out on this one.

vette59jdwl:
  Cool 53  go to google and type in electric steering its the times of the future.The new kid on the block is coming  move over lol lol mooseman

themoose:

--- Quote ---The new kid on the block is coming  move over lol lol mooseman
--- End quote ---

Hey Wayne....The reason we're all here is to exchange information and hopefully learn about better ways to get the job done. That's what keeps us all up to date and on our toes. It's great to see everyone throwing their ideas out there so that we can all benefit form each others experience. Keep it coming!!!!

Moose

Cool53:
It's the shaft, not the assist I was trying to explain. I have been using electric power steering since it came out, and even though it draws 80 amps to operate it works well. It is expensive. But it still needs a shaft. Soon the shaft will be gone, and that will make things even easier, but more expensive too.

themoose:

--- Quote ---Soon the shaft will be gone, and that will make things even easier, but more expensive too.
--- End quote ---

Jef....I don't care how much redundancy is built into the fly by wire steering system I still feel safer with a mechanical link when it comes to steering my car. Just call me old school ;)

Moose

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version