General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

1937 Chevrolet 216 CID Fuel pumps

(1/1)

Chevy490:
I have had trouble finding a mechanical fuel pump that is any good for my 1937 Truck. I replaced the original mechanical pump about 6 months ago with one from Jim Carter Truck Parts in Independence Missouri. It installed readily and worked good. However when I tried starting this seldom used truck a few months later, the pump ceased functioning and would no longer pump gas. It had less than one hour of total operation. (I confirmed everything else was ok by temporarily hooking up an electric pump) I contacted Jim Carter and they have yet to respond to my 2 emails and  phone messages. ( I guess they do not actually live up to the 100% customer satisfaction they advertise.)  I then purchased 2 Carter brand (no relation to Jim Carter Truck Parts)
pumps from Rock Auto of which neither worked. (returned one & got another) It appeared there was too much free play in the pump rocker arm/levers for the cam on the camshaft to actually push far enough to pump gas.  I doubt there is anything wrong with the cam/eccentric in my engine as everything worked fine for years with the original pump from 1937. ( I replaced it only because it was slightly leaking- not because it was not pumping gas.)  Any suggestions? Know of replacement pumps for 1937's that actually work? I want to keep everything original and not use an electric one.  Thanks

EDNY:
If you still have the original pump have you thought about buying a rebuild kit for it?  When I was in my high school shop we used to rebuild those pumps regularly.  The kits are available - even ebay has them...pretty easy R&R project as I remember.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version