Miscellaneous > Garage Gripes

Atmospheric River, Bomb Cyclone

(1/13) > >>

sammons:
Pinapple Express, or what ever the catch phrase is at the moment. Anything to call for doom and gloom on climate change, (I still say snow storm, rain storm).

Was gonna ask Sixball and Rattiac if they were getting rain/snow out of these storms. I think its keeping us here warm, not much moisture getting to w Kansas. 69° yesterday but windy, today was 61, sunny and calm👍

Brother lives about 30 miles inland from San Louis Obispo, he finally got rain and adding up fast. Last monday storm he got a lot. Couldn't get to town on tuesday from ranch, all four ways out were a now go. River over one, the other 3 were washed out at creeks. Wednesday afternoon he took his Toyota FJ40 out and managed to get to town when the water dropped, (but road was still "closed")

sixball:
We are getting hammered with alternating rain & snow. The ground has absorbed all it can and is in a near liquid state. It is soggy/muddy under the snow. We got another 7-8" of snow yesterday and the sun is shining today so much if it will melt on the south facing mountains. It will all run toward the Carson River. Local flooding similar to your pictures. I'm trying to keep up the best I can to get the water to cross the road instead of down the road. There are two miles of it and it is all up to me. Between clearing snow when needed and digging water diversions it is a job. We are in no danger unless the mountain behind us decides to move to the valley. Last night the wind blew and there are some 2' + drifts. I can't lift my old legs that high.
 Mixed blessings: More snow means less running water but we have to depend on the generator for power. Sunshine makes the solar system work after I clear the snow from the panels but it melts the snow and the flooding starts. Biggest worry is getting the Propane truck in here maybe next month. Otherwise I'll be hailing 25 gallon tanks that I can no longer lift, thank God for Kubota! Then there's the water in the basement.  ;D

All this said so far this is far from the toughest winter we've had. This is what the winters were like when we moved here. But to answer you question what ever the woke term of the day is we are getting lots of moisture and all that goes with it. The snow pack above Tahoe in more that 200% for this time of year but that doesn't mean it will end the season with that.

Rattiac:
Same here.  We have had a few storms that have been better than the last 5 years. It snowed for 3 days here which is unusual but could be better. 
Still not like the 1980's

As a matter of fact. Like the crazy guy I am. Last Friday the 13th I went camping south of the pony express road and knew a storm was coming but didn't think it would be much.
It was a mini blizzard all night.  When I woke up I didn't think it was more than a few inches but when I started walking around I noticed all the snowdrifts.
Once I got up to the main dirt road I knew I was in trouble 😳. Got home safely and the city was dry.
Editing the video right now  .

sammons:
Had a post already, arm got a cramp...thumb twitched...everthing disapeared😡

Sixball i guess more good than bad, get a start on fire season. "Thank God for Kabota", lol. Thats what my brother said. His roads at the ranch are all screwed up, got 1' trenches across many. He said he filled up with propane before xmas, so he's good till next Nov anyway. His solar power wall batt bank got a glitch, so he is on PG&E usage till Tesla gets it fixed.

Rattiac, hats off to you and your adventures. My days of cold weather camping are long gone🥶 They, the weathermen, have been promising us rain/snow thru all this....nothing. snow up north and rain east. We were at 65% chance overnight rain/snow, nope. 30% today, this morning took dog out at 7am, 41 and clear🥴 Looking forward to video.

I got my natural gas bill yesterday for Dec, we did have that nasty wind and sub 0 temps. But...$90 bucks more than Novembers🤯 It was more than i'be ever paid in winter before @$150. Was down to the shop crying to Tom about a $241 gas bill, he said he hadn't seen his yet. Text me lastnight when he got home....his was $600. I guess i've got no room to complain, I felt like an idiot then. Sure glad i went 2x6 construction with lots of insulation!

Rattiac:
Enjoy.  8)
https://youtu.be/mTUf9bMGfc0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version