Miscellaneous > Garage Gripes

Cold and problems

(1/1)

sammons:
Prepping for the cold snap, last monday i was bringing in all the brass monkeys and making sure everything was ready for thursdays deep freeze.
I thought i would change furnace filters, make sure outside faucets were insulated and top off the infloor garage radiant heat water heater. Thought i heard a surge in pump and/or water. Went to open the air burp valve and it was already open.🤔 I turned on water valve to top off tank thinking maybe it evaporated a little since air bleed was open.  Pressure went up to 25 lbs🤯 how can that be with air bleed open.  So i cracked the top union loose above tank to let air out. Still scratching my head over the burp valve open. Oh well on to next project.

At 10 pm weds night storm hit. At 11:15 the power went out for 4hrs😡 It was -10, snow skiffs and 40 mph wind.  Garage got down to 60, house 53. Furnace didn't want to stay lit after the first 3 cycles when the power came back on at 3:30am. Got up and checked everthing out, couldn't find any problems except burner would only stay lit for 3 seconds. Ended up being sticky thermostat in the living room. Problems solved.

It took till yesterday after lunch before the radiant garage heat shut off at 66°. Pump and water heater running way too long, even for the cold temps. Pump running too slow and water was cooling off too much before it got back up the loop to heater. Noticed i had excess presure 18.5 lbs, should be 6 lbs +/- 2lbs when running. The pump is not to exceed 16 lbs head pressure to opperate propper. Dug my new spare pump out, cleaned out the corner from boxes of coupe parts stored there to get to pump. I had forgotten my burp valve line went down to a hose spicket valve  and yes it was closed🙄 I'm a dumb ass! Got a bucket, opened it and let the excess water and pressure off. Tested again...system pressure at 6.5 lbs. All good.

I think i will go ahead and replace pump tomorrow just because its 20yrs old. A bad memory can certainly be hard on you.😁

EDNY:
Sounds very stressful...we heat with kerosene so I fired up my generator to be sure it was ready to run the heater if need be.  Early yesterday it was nearly 50 degrees and windy, snow and ice melted then it rained very hard for a while then later in the day temps went down into the 20's.

Today high teens,,,but warmer than my daughter's place in Georgia.   Generator was not needed.  Temps are expected to reach high 40's this coming weekend.

sixball:
I hope all of you in the storm & cold are OK. We were pretty cold for a week or so with no sun. We have a solar power system so the generator backup has seen some use. It is mild here now but they say we have another storm coming. Be safe and have a great Christmas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version