Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1930 Buick V12 build

<< < (2/68) > >>

EDNY:
Good for you...a lot more than I would ever tackle!

Essex_29:
 Thank you Rattiac, I'd love to be able to cut parts with some kind of precision myself. The plasma with thin plywood templates work nicely if exact precision is not all that important.  The laser cut parts were awesome, I could thread the cut holes, they were very exactly cut.
 Haha, EDNY, you can probably guess how it goes: I get an idea and think "that's doable". Then I work on it like crazy, feeling dumb for not realizing how much work it really is. Me and my project are like the Dunning-Kruger effect in person.

Anyway.
After getting the intake runners welded to the intake to cylinderhead flanges, it was time for some serious grinding. I'm better at grinding than welding, so this makes the whole thing look decent in a new way.

Bolted back to the cylinderheads, the runners were welded to the plenum floor and more grinding to do.

To avoid getting a bunch of debris down the intake runnes and weld spatter onto the valves, I made intake "gaskets" from 19 gauge sheet metal, with no holes but for the bolts. Also I filled the intake ports with tee shirt fabric.

sixball:
This is interesting stuff. I'm looking forward to more.

Essex_29:
Nice to hear, sixball, here's some more:

Parts for the plenum were cut to exact sizes and tacked together to form a box.

The end plates wre cut to mate with the outermost intake runners.

The top of the plenum consists of a frame that is about 3/4" wide all around the outer edges and that has 30+ holes tapped with M6 threads, and a top part with corresponding holes for the 30+ M6 bolts. Everything was welded together to form a box like shape.

Again a lot of grinding to make the entrances to the intake runners smooth along the outer edges, and of course the bendy end pipes.

Finally the whole thing was given a thorough sanding on the outside.

Essex_29:
Finally a kind of "collars" were welded to the top of the plenum, for the carburetor flanges to sit on.

One of the reasons for the bolt on intake top is to gain access to grinding welds on the inside. Also, if it works otherwise, I can easily make another version for, say three 2Gs, or even injection.

Intake on the engine, carbs on the intake.

The whole thing looks pretty nince already, two fours is always a good look. The carbs will be two 500 cfm Edelbrocks, and I know it's probably way too much, but I just have to hope that I will be able get the engine to run somewhat decent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version