Author Topic: Feeling sorry for myself ?  (Read 3149 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Feeling sorry for myself ?
« on: October 08, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
I put this here because feeling sorry for myself is one fo my hobbies.  ::)

Leo Beuerman was from Lawerence, Kansas born in 1902. He was severely "handicapped" but had a better outlook on life than most people. There was a documentary movie made about him that I used to show to my classes. I am looking for a copy of it now and have found a site. Here is a link to a short autobiography. If you are ever down it is an amazing story that will give you a lift or a kick in the pants which ever you need. It mostly makes me ashamed of what a wimp I am. 
https://uss-rangerguy.com/Lawrence/Leo_Beuerman.htm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:45:04 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
Re: Feeling sorry for myself ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 02:38:51 PM »
Good story. Well worth the read.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:10:06 PM »
The movie is really moving, I'll post it if I can. A tough smart man.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »
I remember in 6th grade social studies class the teacher read the stories and passed around some pictures on the man. Over came a lot in his life.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:53:49 AM »
Some souls quietly rise to the challenge.  Courage has nothing to do with fame & fortune. I do wonder how our present social programs would have squelched his drive or how he would have been used in TV commercials to promote government handouts. He seems to be a great example of the work ethic and values this country used to have. Most people wanted to take care of themselves and not take any more help than they needed. The idea that he wanted to help others who were less fortunate than himself brings tears to my eyes. What a man!

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
Sixball, you hit the nail on the head! Social programs go a long way in keeping people down. A friend of mine used to say "If you need a hand, look at the end of your arm first".
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
I am often amazed by stories of people who after some tragedy go on to do things they would have never attempted before some great loss. Once my wife and I spotted a car in a cafe parking lot with 3 skis in the roof rack. I said "Wow, one of those folks only has one leg!" We went inside for breakfast and saw 2 guys and a lady in ski outfits each with one leg. Another customer with one leg was talking with them. None of them had skied when they had both legs. A machinist friend on mine lost one hand above the wrist and all but the thumb on the other hand. Doctors grafted one of his toes to that hand so he could pinch. He modified a Sportster so he could operate it and rode the hell out of it. Though the state would not give him a license. Just starting a bolt was a major event for him but he only asked for help when it was something he absolutely could not do by himself.   

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 02:33:27 PM »
A long time family friend of ours over came a lot. He was a super modified driver and in '74 at the age of 27 got in the big fire accident at the Huchinson Ks Grand Nationals at the end of lap one. The track was dry and dusty, he was the 3rd car in out of about 15 involed. Because of the long race, most cars had 36 gal tanks. Jerry said there was a car upside down on top of him and seen dripping. Hoped it was just water...nope. He was one of the three that were badly burn't, he lost his hands, (one just at the wrist and the other just behind)With all the fuel, and magnisium wheels, some of the fire had to burn itself out.

After a painful long stay in the hospital, he opened up a machine shop
(SOS Engines, Dodge City Ks) and specialized in engine building.
We use to stop at his shop after the races to BS and have a few beers. One guy was talking about getting in a fight with Jerry about an engine build. "Don't let him hit you with those stumps of his, they hurt worse than a fist"😁 Jerry said, "Well you know not to fight with me again".

I got tired of waiting on my uncle to bore my '57 283, talked to Jerry and he said go get it and bring it out. I wanted it bored .060" over but had two cyls that wouldn"t clean up. He had 283 sleeves in stock so he sleeved, bored and decked it .010" for me. To watch him do all that work with 2 stumps was amazing. He opperated the shop for 38 yrs i believe. Lost him 8 yrs ago.

Pic of fire and B&W video of accident.
https://youtu.be/PLRTeS55Gss

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
Those are the guys. Dennis had a cup for his stump that had about 1/2 pound of lead shot sewed in it. He called it Mr. Stumpy. A dead blow hammer up his sleeve.  :o

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
Lol  Some of those guys have some creative "attachments". Fellow here in town lost his right hand, (mid forearm). He was a roofer by trade and had several different attachments made. He always brought them to me to weld up when he broke one.

10-11 years ago when i was upgrading my 350 for my '59 Elcamino, i called Jerry up to get my pistons pressed off/on. He said show up at 5 and bring beer! 😁 He had a nice rod heater, and i wondered how he grabbed them out when hot.
 He had a chunk of leather on the bench to throw over the rods to pick up between his stumps. The speed and ease which he did the swap out was unbelieveable. Faster than alot of guys with hands.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »
 Dennis had several attachments for Mr. Stumpy.
Another good friend lost a leg just below the knee in a motorcycle wreck. He had a prosthesis but mostly preferred a wooden peg leg a frond made for him. Peg Leg Ray owned a bar in Silver City and was a Captain in the Silver City Guard who always marched in the Nevada Day Parade. During the Parade the Guard stopped infant os the Governor's stand and Ray presented Governor Mike Callahan with a similar peg leg. Governor Mike was missing a leg too. He actually wore it a few times. He was a real guy and was very accessible to the folks. Way better than what we have now!
We made Ray another leg out of a double barrel 12 gauge. He could not raise his leg high enough to shoot more than a couple of feet in front of him but could reach out there behind him. He was never able to remain standing for the second shot.  There was considerable discomfort. Keeping the bores clear was also a problem. Maybe a single barrel 410 would have worked better.  ::)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal