Author Topic: First of the season  (Read 9209 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: First of the season
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
When i bought and moved in my Trailer house in '82, it had sat empty for 2yrs previous. Full of mice, they kept evading the trap triggers. Borrowed my brothers female (Siamese mix), in 2 days she had it cleared out. She had her fill of eats, and left a big pile of dead ones.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »
Taste like chicken my ass! Maybe chicken that has been eating frogs and sardines. If it lives on land and has no legs I'm not eating it.

We had barn cats in Texas but we also had very few quail or cottontails. We had a Manx here as our first cat and she drug home jackrabbits bigger than her. There were no rodents in the house though. The next one was good too but she went out one day and never came home. The cat we have now was never a good mouser. She is old now and doesn't even pay much attention to them. I think she is a Democat!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:27:16 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 07:23:14 AM »
Rattlesnake chili? I'll just stick to ground beef in mine. I'm down the Jersey shore for the summer running my miniature golf and ice cream shop. I found one problem down here....mice. I'm not big on killing any animal unless they get in my way, and these mice are in my way. I set 4 traps with peanut butter and they picked them clean! I reset them. Picked them clean again! I'll try a different bait that they have to tug on........at least I don't have rattlesnakes, that's one good thing about the city I guess.

Get yourself a black snake he will make you a nice effective mouse trap

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »
No snakes or cats, just a good old snap trap, I'm just baiting it wrong. I thought about glue traps, but that's a little too cruel.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 10:01:35 PM »
No snakes or cats, just a good old snap trap, I'm just baiting it wrong. I thought about glue traps, but that's a little too cruel.

Been there with the glue traps  they squeal a lot

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2021, 11:54:27 PM »
#5 This evening. On my way to the Poultry Palace to put the chickens to bed I saw this one before it saw me. My rattlesnake mode is kicking in.  ::) It was up on the rim of the plastic tank I made to soak the frame about a foot off the ground right in the edge of the machine shed. Stretched out straight just a little shy of 3'. I wonder if the glue traps would work for the snakes, I don't care how loud they scream.  ;D

http://

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:57:48 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
If they taste like chicken, maybe he was on his way to the palace to hang out with them ::)
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 12:29:48 PM »
If they taste like chicken, maybe he was on his way to the palace to hang out with them ::)

Good idea...chicken wings up here in NY are going for at least $1 each!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
Rattlesnakes would be a real pain in the ass if they had wings.  :o

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 09:39:11 PM »
I'm sure he was looking for something to eat

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2021, 02:45:43 PM »
Mean buzzing' even half dozen! #6 this morning in the chicken pen to greet me this morning.
Another 3 footer amazing how they are all the same size. I cleaned the chicken house yesterday and displaced several mice. This snake has 6 recognisable mice in her all lined up head first. You can tell it is a female because her body thins down in the tail section. That's where th boys pack their stuff. ;D

After I got inside and was calming down with a cup of coffee the dogs started in with their "Dad come and check this out panic mode barking". Thinking it was another snake I grabbed the pistol and headed out to dispatch it. It turned out to be what I would estimate to be a 500-600 pound bear about 20 yards from the house. It trotted over the hill to the springs on the other side.  It took the dogs a while to calm down. I imagine they were nose to nose with it. They've been sticking close to the porch the rest of the morning with an occasional bark to let the bear know they are not following it.  ::). No bear pictures, sorry.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
You've kinda got a homestead invaision going on, Rattlers and Bears🤯 Too bad they are not just a mess of Bullsnakes. I had a 7 footer hang around here for years, pretty mellow fella. Use to pick him up  and move him if i were going to mow. My buddy Tom was scared of him, I swear he use to pop out just to scare Tom😁

Lastnight i took Rowdy out to pee before i went to bed. We came back and just as we stepped off the sidewalk to grass, a frog jumped up and hit him in the lower chest. Lol... he jumped and had know idea what hit him. Two steps later he stepped on a Garter snake,(probably after the frog). He jumped straight up like a bucking bronc😁 Yanked me to the backdoor, pulled me in. Took me several minutes to get the leash off him under the table😆

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
Dogs are as good as it gets! When I went down to see what the barking was about the younger boxer/pointer just headed for the porch. The border collie/pit bull came with me to show me what was bothering her. She was a bit cautious but I knew right off it wasn't how she acts with snakes. By then the bear had crossed the road and was in the brush heading up the hill. She was barking but not chasing. I was thinking mountain lion then I saw the bear. I didn't want to chase it either.  ;D

We have Gopher snakes here. They mimic rattlesnakes as a defense. They can flatten and widen their heads, do a hissing and tail shaking in dry weeds that sounds like a rattler, coil and actually strike. I have been bitten by them many times while catching them. Sadly that trait has led to many newcomers to think they are facing a rattler and kill it. Then they tell their newcomer friends they just killed a rattle snake without rattles. Another suburban myth is born. I did kill a rattlesnake with no rattles several years ago. I don't know what the story is there. I bring every gopher, king, & garter snake I find home. I brought a 6 footer home a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes its tough carving an empire out of the wilderness.  ::)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
When my wife and I first got married we lived in an old farm house along with a 6 1/2 ft black snake he was a great mouse trap

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2021, 03:37:11 PM »
#7 this morning. I heard it last night when I went out to put the chickens to bed but couldn't see it. Then it went quiet so I left. It was cool last night from a little rain so I thought it might be sunning it's self this morning. It was out but too fast for me and got back into the barn. I could hear it so I started moving stuff. Finally located under a pallet with some windows on it. All I could see was the necks I stuck the gun in almost touching it. She lost a few inches on the head end and only measures 32". A fat girl full of mice like the last one. I called Leroy and told him to hold off on the chili because I had another donation. I finished my window trim.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:39:05 PM by sixball »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal