Author Topic: Reloading supplies $$$$  (Read 2778 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Reloading supplies $$$$
« on: December 04, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »
I used to shoot handgun competition - a lot about 25 years ago. Recently decided to try it again and even built two S&W revolvers with custom barrels, grips, homemade adjustable sight bases etc.  One event is the moving target that travels 60 feet in both directions.  Moving target is exposed for 6 seconds traveling right to left and then left to right on (12 passes). I made a  sight base that allows me to aim at center of the target without leading it.

What drives me nuts is how the Covid and now the Biden situations have driven reloading and firearms costs way up!  Can't locate bullets and importantly small pistol primers.

Used to buy Federal small pistol primers for about $40 per 1000....now "if" you can find them...they are selling by some crooks up to $200 per 1000.

Just can't understand who is buying all of these supplies ...it's just crazy out there.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Reloading supplies $$$$
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
When Obama was in office the Federal Government was buying millions of rounds from all manufacturers for ALL federal agencies for practice. I never spoke to any law enforcement officer or postal worker who ever saw any of it. He was also having the military destroy fired brass to keep it out of the hands of reloaders. It won't get better.

In the 60s I could load a 45 Long Colt round for a little under a nickel. New rounds were $.40 each. Primers were a penny a piece, $10 a thousand. Real black powder was $2.50 a pound and most smokeless powders were about the same. Lead bullets and shot were legal everywhere. Tire shops literally gave used wheel weight away. When I worked at a tires shop for a while I had an endless supply.

I wish I had a few more small rifle primers.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »
Checked gun broker and yes primers are selling $200.00 a thousand that's crazy

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »
A few years ago (Obama) there were proposals that would have limited the shelf life of primers thus limiting shelf life of ammo to keep us from setting ammo aside for times like these. I still have primers that are so old I hope they are not mercuric.  :o
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
I just gave my buddy a bunch of small rifle primers since I don't reload rifle anymore.  You can use small rifle primers as small pistol primers but you really need a solid spring because the rifle primers are a bit thicker. My competition guns wouldn't cut it.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »
I need to check what I have I may be a millionaire! Not really but I do need to take an inventory. Several years ago I bought the reloading part of a friend's gun shop when he closed it.I have some dies and maybe brass I'll never use. I hope I can find my notes on forming .219 Donaldson Wasp cases from the 30-30 brass family. I did it using sizing dies from several different sets. I guess I could just buy the set RCBS makes.

I really need to get back into this. Reloading is a fun way to relax and just enjoy making something useful. I am lucky that I can step out of my reloading room to my shooting bench and test my loads. It really helps when working up a new load.

Ed, What S&W model did you start with? How did you do your sight trick. I assume you didn't make one to shoot in each direction.  ;D

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 10:28:32 PM »
I need to check what I have I may be a millionaire! Not really but I do need to take an inventory. Several years ago I bought the reloading part of a friend's gun shop when he closed it.I have some dies and maybe brass I'll never use. I hope I can find my notes on forming .219 Donaldson Wasp cases from the 30-30 brass family. I did it using sizing dies from several different sets. I guess I could just buy the set RCBS makes.

I really need to get back into this. Reloading is a fun way to relax and just enjoy making something useful. I am lucky that I can step out of my reloading room to my shooting bench and test my loads. It really helps when working up a new load.

Ed, What S&W model did you start with? How did you do your sight trick. I assume you didn't make one to shoot in each direction.  ;D

(FYI) Some of the ammo reloading shops are looking for brass ... trading for loaded ammo.

I live in NY but have a 60 acre back yard to run ATV's, hunt and shoot.

Have several S&W revolvers but the last (2) were K frames, one Model 10 and the other a Model 64. Installed Clark 1-10 barrels (6") on both.  Would share some pictures of my sight base but am considering a possible patent.  The competition I am considering requires a power factor of 120,000 (bullet weight X velocity).  Getting 2" groups at 50 yards with factory Remington 158 gr RN "target" but am looking for 158 GR RN bullets with the "cup core base" like in the picture so I can load my own.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
I like Smiths and have had a few. I got a mint K frame 38 special from my father in law that he bought new in 1960. I passed it on recently to my oldest son s he'd have something of his grandfather's. It has fixed sights.  When I got it it came with 2 boxes surplus ammo. One was missing 18 rounds. I expect those were all that had ever been through it.

I have a couple of K frames in 32 20. I little round I really like for fun and small game. One has a 6" barrel and one a 4". The 4" has a round grip and is really easy to carry all day in a holster or pocket.

I once had a Ruger Security Six 38/357 with fixed sights and a six inch barrel. I was using it on metal silhouettes using a 200 grain round nose gas checked bullit at about 1,000fps. That gun really liked the heavy bullets and grouped them better than anything else I tried. I had to use 38 special brass to get the correct overall length. I can't remember how or why I got rid of that one.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
Well to let everyone know the ammunition manufactures are shipping product. I just happen to stop in a  gun store this morning and to my surprise they were fully stocked with ammunition. They had received a shipment last night and was putting it on the shelf. No limit on ammo just primers one brick of each type per customer, glad my wife was with me. So hopefully this might be a good sign.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 09:24:12 PM »
Well to let everyone know the ammunition manufactures are shipping product. I just happen to stop in a  gun store this morning and to my surprise they were fully stocked with ammunition. They had received a shipment last night and was putting it on the shelf. No limit on ammo just primers one brick of each type per customer, glad my wife was with me. So hopefully this might be a good sign.

Glad to hear some ammo (and primers) are making it to reloaders.  Just rec'd this video yesterday and they (Federal) openly admit that primers are directed to load ammo.  Loaded ammo has a better profit margin I assume.

Curious what brand were the primers...do you remember if they were "small pistol primers"?

Link:
https://www.federalpremium.com/ammo-demand-answers.html?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=01262021_Enews_Ammo+Availability+Update&sfmc_id=102486419&j=1061639&sfmc_sub=102486419&l=5748_HTML&u=13629288&mid=524002336&jb=204%e2%80%8b&sfmc_e=ziptow@yahoo.com

Ed
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:33:11 PM by EDNY »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 09:42:32 PM »
FYI:  Here is the match I want to compete in again...been 27 years since I shot at that event.  Have a moving target and the other stages out on my property.  I'll be 70 in a few weeks, feel like 40 and still can shoot like I'm 40! 

Bought a Lyman Mag 25 lead melting furnace, a couple of bullet molds and a bullet sizer because the lead bullets I want have a 4 month waiting list...so I'll make my own in the meantime.  Built my own handguns also.

Link:

https://youtu.be/uJMz5RLeekc
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:39:09 PM by EDNY »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 06:58:09 AM »
I got 2000 of small pistol and  1000 small rifle they are CCI brand
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:21:51 AM by 62131 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:55 AM »
Hmmm looks like our friends at Federal are hoarding their primers...maybe with CCI now helping the little guy...Federal might step up.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal