Author Topic: Sewing machine HELP!  (Read 3175 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Sewing machine HELP!
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
Rattiac or anyone else.
Machine: Rex #26-188 commercial unit

Was patching up some blue jeans this morning, all well then.....funny scrunching/binding sound. I thought loose thread got bound up bobbin side. I slide material out and there was a rats nest on the bottom side. I pulled bobbin trimmed reinstalled, tried again.....same.

I pulled bobbin back out, got stronger glasses on and found a piece of thread looped around bobbin spindle. Cleared, cleaned, oiled, changed bobbin spool even. Retried, same!😡  Thought maybe needle was getting dull or perhaps chipped/broke. Replaced needle, tested again....Aarrgggg! Same 😡🤬🤬🤬🤬

What the hell am I missing?????
Pics of the bottom, bobbin side of any material tried.

Update**** I took the bobbin/carrier back out, went to parts house and got some brake clean. Unplugged machine sprayed down exterior pivot points, then tipped machine on its side to get to all under moving parts.
Spayed all down good, air blowed dry and reoiled everything. Plugged in and ran it wide open throttle for several mins, reoiled, ran again then wipped down everything. Put bobbin/carrier back in, rethreaded machine. Grabbed new shop towel, folded and one little crackle sound, then off to the races it went. It's sewing fine now, but I don't know what caused this?

Maybe something got a bit out of adjustment that i didn't notice or a piece of built up dust/oil somewhere? The machine does get body shop type dust on it from time to time. I always air blow and oil before i use it. Would really like to know what was causing this.

Needed a new coaster for my table anyway.😁
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:57:52 AM by sammons »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Sewing machine HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »
Great post...outlined the problem and fixed it...so the post is actually a net zero ;D ;D ;D

Crazy - But just yesterday I had my Juki doing blue jean repair!!!!   Had a couple of tears that I just ran back and forth over and reattached some belt loops!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 03:49:33 PM »
That nest problem reminds me of what happens when done sewing - if you don't turn the hand wheel back about a quarter turn before lifting the foot and cutting the thread...the next time around the thread gets pulled out of the bobbin and gets caught on the hook.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
Yep, i usually do that to free thread tension first. Dang thing is working great now. Seen a video on probables, tension arm not threaded or tension not set proper. It was sewing just fine then all of a sudden just bound up?  One fella said if that 1/2 moon thing around the bobbin carrier gets a nick in the hook, bent needle or it shifted out of place it could do it.  Didn't see any of that.  I guess it could have slipped when changing bobbin spool?   

Hell i don't know what was the cause or what fixed it😁     At least got my jeans patched. Nothing like taking a half day for a couple quick patches. ::)

Well just because i had denim and elastic strip left over i thought i would try my hand at making a mask. Lol  Small material, shakey hands and throttle heavy, i almost sewed my finger tips.  🤯  Real quick i figured out this is not my line of work!     Bit messy, no straight seams but it does fit.😁  Believe i will leave mask making to the professonals. 😜
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:05:00 PM by sammons »

RoarsRods

• Stovebolt
  • 34 Chevrolet Holden Roadster, 33 Ford, 34 Ford
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »
Glad you got your sewing machine all fixed! If it happens again here are a few tips!
For one he needs a cover to keep all the crap out of the sewing machine!
On that note you could possibly still has crap inside the sewing machine plus also seems like your belt drive timing got knocked out again due to crap building up inside the machine!
I have a Brothers industrial walking foot sewing machine so I have some knowledge of how these work!
Plus if the thread is to large for the needle hole it will hang up and needs to slide with ease!
If you still not not able to fix it then he might need to bring it to a sewing machine repair shop for a tuneup!
RoarsRods the NEWBIE 👍

Sent from my iPhone
Retired Automation Robotics CAD Engineer

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »
welcome Rory !!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you share your assorted knowledge.

mike lynch

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the tips Rory and welcome to the site.  Good looking roadster you have there. Seen some of it on the hamb.

The old machine was pretty clean till 6-7 yrs ago when i started working in my garage in the winter, my bad. Been gonna build cover, never got around to it. Needs a good soak in gas this summer to get really clean.

What is this belt drive timing you speak of? 

RoarsRods

• Stovebolt
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
Thanks Guys! Yes my Roadster has been a long 14 months ground up restoration/resto-mod build! Now is waiting for upholstery as most company’s suppliers are shut down due to this World Wide pandemic!
Just a simple Naugahyde cover that slips over your machine will work!
On the belt drive timing! You tilt your machine back and there is a cogged rubber belt on the right side! That is the timing drive belt and if tons of crap build up in the machine over time that belt will jump a cog and through the whole sequence off with the timing when the needle eye is  making the slip loop with the top and bottom thread! It only needs to be fractions off and you will end up with a rats nest!
On another note my Brothers LS2-B837 Walking foot industrial machine always when I start sewing I need to hold both threads so it does not get sucked in and will do the same as yours with a rats nest!
Another trick which I have never tried is to start out with the needle plunged into the material and supposedly it would not cause a rat’s nest!
On your last note I myself would never clean the machine with gas and would be afraid to do more damage to the internal parts and bearings of different materials! Plus I would be worried that the gas would leave a coating on all internal parts!
Here are a few pics of my machine and cover!
RoarsRods

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
Ahh, no wonder i couldn't find it. I was looking for something that wasn't there. 😁  Mine is all mechanical, just two connecting rods.

Thanks!

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Welcome aboard RoarsRods!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »
X2 on holding the thread down tight during the start of a seam. If a thread slips loose at the beginning, sometimes it'll not show until 6-12" down the line and then the rat's nest happens.

As for the machine being super fast , here's a tip.
Lossen the wing-nut where the pedal joins the belt drive. This should allow the belt to slip more and slow it down for more control. Use a tapping motion with your foot will help also.
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
My Juki came with a clutch motor..I finally bought a servo motor so I can select the speed. Had trouble multi tasking and the clutch motor getting away from me ;D

My Juki has the large bobbin and have heard where it's possible to keep the bobbin winder engaged while sewing - as the empty bobbin is filled it gives you an idea of how much bobbin thread you have left in the machine?  Sound practical?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:10:56 AM by EDNY »

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 09:36:56 AM »
I have a Consew 226R and it's design is such the needle drive can not be disengaged to wind a bobbin.  It is designed to multi-task I guess and it would be a good indication of how much tread the bobbin has just by looking at the bobbin on the winder BUT while sewing with one color you must wind a bobbin with another color unless you have two spools alike. 

I've also had a rats nest on the underside.  Cleared, cleaned and oiled...fine.  Don't know why, guess it just wanted attention. 

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »
As for the machine being super fast , here's a tip.
Lossen the wing-nut where the pedal joins the belt drive. This should allow the belt to slip more and slow it down for more control. Use a tapping motion with your foot will help also.

Thanks man! I wouldn't have thought of that. Dad bought this machine 2nd hand back in the early 80s when he sent stepmom to upholstery school. She did a lot of RV furnature and always zipped through it with those long seams. Great idea for slowing it down for my slow speed😁

Ed, sounds like it would work. My table has a 3 spool feeder stand. I only have one spool of black however 😁 I usualy wind up 2-3 bobbins before i start, and try to check bobbin if i am getting ready for a long run.

39, thats my conclusion. Machine just wanted a little attention😜

RoarsRods

• Stovebolt
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »
My first machine was a turn of the century Singer treadle converted over to a motor! Late 60’s on my first car build 36 Ford 3 window coupe! $100 for the complete car minus the motor transmission and gages! Bought a 36 Ford sedan in a junkyard $40 and that had all the parts that I was missing! Finished it in 73 when I graduated! That car  was my first upholstery job and yes it came out nice with that old Singer walking foot machine! Plus had to hand tie all the ends as it had no reverse!
RoarsRods

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal