Author Topic: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)  (Read 24250 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
Thanks for posting those here. I hope at some point to photograph my pieces laid out in a way to identify each one possibly with measurements. Maybe tracings on paper. I will write on each one before or upon removal.
Two questions:
!. In the photos of the left quarter is the long diagonal piece part of the big S piece that ha dropped down or does it run from the seat back area to the back of the sill near the kick-up?
2. In the last picture are the pieces in the upper left with the small sandwiched pads the ones that run between the quarters at the back of the seat above the trunk?
You are the only one who mentioned the splinter joke. I think the others are just tired of my poor attempts at humor.  :o
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »
By the amount of READS at top of page I would say this is a very interesting subject to internet lookie loos not associated with this site.

Your *SIXBALL*  pictures of your 26 roadster make more sense to me because they are still in the metal body and easier to figure out what gm was doing. 

The wood that runs along the top from the B door post back to what should be the back of seat area.  How that's joined together needs to be figured out.  The wood from back of seat and along the quarter panel area, that looks fairly simple to understand and fabricate.

Couple of the 4 pictures posted on a single post by GABY made sense in the one picture. Would like to see those 4 turned into individual posted pics.  Allows them to be viewed in a larger single picture.

If the SILL PLATES L & R can be duplicated that's the start of unwinding the "how does this work"
The end is in sight, just clouded up stopping us viewing the end result.

Still say you need to make contact with somebody on VCCA group or possible the ACCA group, somebody has exact info you need.

mike lynch...........HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
Thanks Mike I am encouraged and learn each time you post. Sometimes you say what I'm thinking and sometimes I had not even thought about what you are telling me. I get smarter every day!
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »
Number 1. Yes this is all that I have of the long S pieces.

Number 2. Will not be that easy to explain CLEARLY but I will try. The short sandwich pieces are photographed together. (this is incorrect) One per side of seat is correct. The seat back mounts in the half lap on the front of the sandwich piece, the top piece of the front part of the quarter panel (where your arm would rest while driving) mounts to the end of the sandwich piece. The big block that you have, mounts to the back side of the sandwich piece (maybe with a spacer between). Then the long S butts up to the back of the big block (with the trunk hinge angle holding the S and big block together) The cross piece above the trunk opening also mounts in this area. You should be able to tell from your pieces with the sheet metal holding them together where there are spacers or not. When you get a chance, get some close ups of your sheet metal group.

Madmike, I will try to get those separated as soon as I can, but I believe that I have lost my scanning program.

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
GABBY..........if you can use your digital camera to take new pictures of the original set of 4 sheet by blocking off the view of the pictures next and below , then posting those , a scanner isn't needed.

SIXBALL just went thru a folder book I bought by don marsh trying to find some pictures useful to this conversation.  Worthless !!!

mike............HAIRBALL

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »
came up with another idea, use my camera and computer monitor to blow up the pictures wanted, then copy them and post them to the thread.

Bummer have to email them to myself then copy and then go back into pics files and post them.........GRRRRRRR

mike lynch.,,.......... HAIRBALL

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
here they are all 9 of them........blown up, dragged, photo'ed

SIXBALL picture  ****D**** is especially useful as it shows the door post to the sill and the dash

mike..........   HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
Thats crazy, I had some time this afternoon while the pipe glue was drying and I separated this pictures too. I have to put them on the HAMB, easy, then move them here , not so easy. Those are GG2 pictures.

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:39 PM »
no idea why you want to post them on the other site, nothing going on there for months.

THIS is*** the place*** where early Chevrolet is spoken and how to correct problems.  Other than RORA doing his 34 roadster and surprised they did not kill his pictures because in their view its not pre 64 orientated .

mike

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »
There is a lot going on on my build thread. It is about the whole car and here I'm trying mostly to get the wood build here. I think we are getting a lot of good information in one place here. The tips about other places to look and what other groups might be able to help. The rest is just a hot rod that is not a Ford nothing that couldn't have happened in a garage on the early 60s. Well almost.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/finally-my-26-chevy-roadster-build.1027114/

One of the great things about this site is that it shares a similar attitude with the Studebaker Drivers Club. If it was ever a Studebaker and you drive it they love it. Do what you want it's still a Stude. We do that here with Chevys. We build what we like and the rest accept it. They may think we are nuts but we are friends nuts. The other big Studebaker club is not that way and neither are some of the other old Chevrolet groups. Sometimes you just have be in stealth mode. Get in get the information and get out.  ::)

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
Mad Mike was faster than I was! I did the reshoot and was trying to get a message up when I saw Mike's, so changed to other pics (of what I had tried, not the old wood in place) but it locked up and dumped me.

Six Ball You were asking about the sandwich block and seat back. I took your LEFT SIDE picture and flipped it.....So now it looks like a right side. And then blew both it and the real right side pictures up.

One has the big block, big S (Deck Opening Side Rail), and top/front (Side Belt Rail) wood hooked together. The other has the sandwich block, big S (Deck Opening Side Rail), and top/front (Side Belt Rail) wood hooked together. If you notice in the big block picture, there is a screw coming out of the top/front wood. This had to go into the sandwich block. So no spacer. (seat top rests on half lap of sandwich block, trunk top (Rear Belt Rail) wood attaches to the back of the big block) ( I am going to dig through my piles to find my Fisher wood book. I have to start calling these pieces their real names!) (Fisher Book didn't do that great, They do not have "sandwich or Big blocks)

The screws are in the same locations on my old wood as Ray Holland's, And I bet yours also. All three cars were built in Oakland. I am betting that they jigged these pieces and predrilled the screw holes. I guess what I'm getting at is document your screw locations and from which direction. They will help us locate things closer!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:14:12 PM by grumpy gaby 2 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2020, 12:25:56 PM »
Good job, That helps. Finding the real names of the parts would help our discussion. Screw direction will tell a lot. It is a shame that the PO of my body just broke the Big Ss loose in the rear because the screws are under the metal.
I have to get my water issue done so I can get back to this. I still have two small drips. One is easy the other won't be too bad.  :o
Two friends's memorials on Saturday.  :(

grumpy gaby 2

• Rookie
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »
 I just got blown out again!  ??? Try again: First three are a 25. The second set are of a 26. (Blue car)

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
GABY...............those pictures should really help sixball get a visual idea of whats supposed to be there.

Especially like 1 st pic with wood seat back and wood slat bottom.  Looking at the metal seat frame, I have been looking at something just like that on ebay guy says for 34-35 chev truck..........its 42" wide ??? and 24 long sides ?? with going from 5" high ? to 3 1/2 tall in rear. 

Part is only $20 + ship and think its in your area.  Could be cut in half to right width and welded back up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Chevrolet-Seat-Pan-mounting-frame/164042672152?hash=item2631b48818:g:tSYAAOSwCL9d~-rT

Now have to find it again.

mike
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:16:16 PM by madmike3435 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:26 PM »
There is a thin metal piece that fits around the front and sides of the seat frame.I did't take pictures of the seat wood that I have but it is not near as much as in the '25 picture. It will be a few more days before I can get there to do anything. 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal