Author Topic: Running 57 Intake / valve covers on later (70's) 350 Engine  (Read 3136 times)

28chevyguy

• Stovebolt
Running 57 Intake / valve covers on later (70's) 350 Engine
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »
What do I need to do to run the 57 intake and valve covers on a later (70's) motor?   I know I can physically bolt them on but whats up with the breather systems on the older motors? obviously they dont have the cross ventilation/PCV setup which is the main obstacle, the oil cap in the front is the breather and there was a funky tube coming down the intake in the back to suck the ventilation out ?  Not sure how I would get the newer motor ventilated with the old style intake and covers.    Would be nice to have the motor look sort of correct in my 57 when you pop the hood, but if its too much trouble I don't have to bother.  Im sure im missing a bit of info here.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: Running 57 Intake / valve covers on later (70's) 350 Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
What do I need to do to run the 57 intake and valve covers on a later (70's) motor?   I know I can physically bolt them on but whats up with the breather systems on the older motors? obviously they dont have the cross ventilation/PCV setup which is the main obstacle, the oil cap in the front is the breather and there was a funky tube coming down the intake in the back to suck the ventilation out ?  Not sure how I would get the newer motor ventilated with the old style intake and covers.    Would be nice to have the motor look sort of correct in my 57 when you pop the hood, but if its too much trouble I don't have to bother.  Im sure im missing a bit of info here.

Those were the days before PCV = positive crankcase ventilation.  The oil filler tube and the oil filler breather were the same thing.  It the tube with breather was how things worked from way back.

The funky tube in the back of the motor was called a road draft tube and allowed excessive internal pressure to escape facing the road.  Again all this before the EPA got involved.

The 421 cubic inch 57 olds motor with lots of end gap on rings and clearances in my 35 coupe with 12-1 pistons, the blow by the rings used to knock the tube filter cap off unless I used braided stainless strap screwed to cap and bolted to intake.

Now whether you could get that setup passed by air management might be another story.  But if running a pre PCV motor that's what they had.

The crate 383 I bought I have made an aluminum tube that goes across the front of heads , 4 holes are tapped with aeroquip fittings and 4 small motorcycle air filters are used.

mike lynch......... HAIRBALL

mike lynch

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
You got a couple options on the valve covers. First is to buy(or make) an adapter plate, they run around $100 on the net. They are 1/4" or 3/8" thick and require 2 sets of gaskets, and sit up higher. Second option is to get a set of '60 to mid '60s 283 valve covers. They are still "Chevrolet" scripted  and are straight across holes.

On the crankcase vent, worst option is to modify or buy an oil filler tube (leaving vent cap on) with fitting for pvc to go to base of carb. I've seen guys run like this, but don't think it's  too effective.

Others have drilled a hole in the left rear of the intake for a fitting and pvc valve, then to base carb. You leave stock filler/vent on front.

The other was to modify/buy oilfiller with sealed cap and pvc fitting to carb base then drill hole in left rear intake and plumb a line to the bottom of air cleaner.
I'm sure there are other ways, just what I've seen.

Geezer, hope that made sense. 😜

28chevyguy

• Stovebolt
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »
Thanks for the great info .    I just got home from the shop... yep  never noticed the staggered bolt pattern, now  I see they would have to be lifted anyway... all that primitive ventilation im hearing about is non appealing .  Im just going to run regular cross vent/pcv .   It was worth a thought I know a lotta people have attempted buts its all just for visual anyway...

thanks you guys are great !!

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
most newer valve cover gaskets have the straight .......early ,   and the later staggered holes.  Use gasket new style as template to drill new holes.  Unless your running 1.6 roller rocker arms instead of the stock 1.5, clearance is not going to be a problem.  They were 1.5 all the way up even most of the roller crate motors SBC.

1986 and up SBC has stock center bolt valve covers.  The aluminum heads on 350--383 depending on motor heads will have both side bolt holes in them.

mike.............HAIRBALL

28chevyguy

• Stovebolt
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:24:58 PM »
hmm , Im going to be running an early 70's 350 ,  I read I can remove the plug for the road draft tube and add a pcv valve there , some how making/ fitting a grommet .  then run vacuum to base of the carb ?  allowing me to run the 283 intake and script covers... and so being 1.5 valves they should fit not problem besides redrilling upper holes .   would be pretty cool if I could pull it off without too much trouble .

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
I thought by the 70s the hole was gone on the 350 blocks. If you have the plug....easy pezzy. Should just be a soft plug (I think). Remove plug (or get new one)and drill hole, tap back in, install grommet. Speedway sells a 2- grommet set for $4.99, you only need the piece for the pcv, (and not the vent grommet) the one on the right is for pcv and has a built in oil deflector. Says hole size between 1.22" and 1.25". Plug the pcv valve in and hose to carb base....done.

Add**just looking around the net, that grommet may be the right size to just push in the hole once plug removed.

Never thought of redrilling valve cover, but make sure to fill the old hole. Like I said, '60 up 283 scripted cover is the same except has straight across holes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:03:56 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
I didn't recall either of my '69 Vettes having the hole prevision. I did read some 327/350 large journal engines /blocks were sold as over the counter GM replacement/warranty that had the hole?

Dang, I cut the top out of a few for adjusting valves through the years. Nobody was using Scrip covers at the time. I might still have a pair somewhere.
I read somewhere a guy drilled the back (by firewall) of a script cover and installed the baffle/defuser style pcv grommet and to carb.  But I guess you could put it any where it wasn't obvious. The higher the better I would think, and leave oil fill vent cap.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
According to a google search, GM developed it and the usa gov mandated it be used starting in 1964.

So if any whacko from HAMB questions your use of PCV valve not conforming to their 64 and down parts   manifesto credo and threaten to toss your boney ass off their site , you got defense against any oppressive edits from the grand pooh bah operating there.

mike lynch...........HAIRBALL

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »
28ChevyGuy....got this post back on topic.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal