Classified - PARTS For Sale - Wanted > 1940's later Chevy/GM PARTS Wanted/For Sale

3729004 Flywheel

(1/2) > >>

sixball:
I'm looking for a # 3729004, 14", 168 tooth, internal balance, 10.5" clutch, two piece rear main seal flywheel for my roadster project. While I was cleaning the one I planned to use I found some worrisome cracks. I don't know if they would clean up with surfacing and not sure I want to try that. Evidently no one makes a new one. I don't know if my adapter will take an 11" clutch and I really don't want or need one.I'm already adding a lot of weight with the 14" wheel. Strange that this was the only small block car flywheel from '55 to '62 and used in Vetts that they are not around any more and everyone must use a bigger clutch. What am I missing here? Any ideas?

sammons:
Sixball, unless i'm missing something, new aftermarkets availible.  Like you, I thought they were a common flywheel. I wouldn't think it should be too hard to locate a decent used and get a quick resurface. Some small heat cracking never bothered me as long as none of the cracks went out side of disk area.  Turning real high rpm... maybe not.

sixball:
Sammons I think all of the ones you posted use an 11" or 12" clutch. I think it was '63 that the cars went to the 153 tooth flywheel. Trucks stayed with the 168 tooth mostly and almost all used big clutches. Same with the sixes small clutches in cars with 12" wheel and big clutches in trucks with 14" wheels.
There are two cracks in mine. They both run outward from the center hole and are between 1/32" to 1/16" deep. They don't look like the little het crumbly things that would be removed by surfacing. I'll try to get it to a shop to be checked out. If there was a shop I trusted I could have a big clutch wheel drilled for the smaller pressure plate and clutch. That is some pretty fine measuring and drilling.

sammons:

--- Quote from: sixball on December 07, 2019, 01:53:53 AM ---
There are two cracks in mine. They both run outward from the center hole and are between 1/32" to 1/16" deep. They don't look like the little het crumbly things that would be removed by surfacing. I'll try to get it to a shop to be checked out.

--- End quote ---

Just woke up to do my move around and unlock the body, couldn't get back to sleep. >:(    Yep, that's pretty deep and going to center is scary.

I guess most the flywheels i've had 168 tooth and most were old and 10.4" clutch. I've probably got one some where but since the move around at the shop..... I haven't a clue where. I know I gave one from my 57 to my buddy Lonnie when I put the S10 5 speed in his 32 pickup behind his 283.

I apparently have had a bunch of aftermarket/replacement 14" newer jobs in later cars. They had dual bolt patterns for 11 or 10.4" clutches. I remember I needed one for a 10.4" and all I had on hand was single pattern for 11", so took over to my friend John the machinist and he drilled it for the 10.4". Like you said, needs to be accurate and John was!

Snagged a brief thread from the Corvette Forum on the flywheel/bell thing. They dual bolt pattern flywheel pic on the right was like the ones I had.
Here is the thread link, post #3 by DZauto.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2677073-10-5-and-11-flywheels.html

sixball:
Sammons, Thank you for finding that while the rest of us were sleeping. That is a wonderment of this site. That is a very concise statement of the facts. It is rare that I can say I knew all of that but it is good to see it in writing for a trusted source. I can add that the Chevy six family of the 194-292 and the 153-181 fours use the same flywheels and bell housings. I haven't run into any new dual pattern flywheels but I haven't been looking at expensive ones. I have a few of the 11" clutch wheels.

I don't know if my setup will take the big clutch and I certainly don't need it. It probably will. This is one of those "one change leads to another" deals. It starts with putting a BW T86 from a Studebaker behind a 153 Chevy four cylinder, I could have built a flat adapter and a Chevy bell housing. But no. I found a "cool" vintage aftermarket aluminum adapter that requires the use of at the cast iron Chevy power glide adapter. The power glide adapter has the old style starter mount and blocks the newer block mount starter holes. The old starter mount requires a 168 tooth flywheel. I'm sure the aluminum adapter is pre-'63 so it is very likely big enough to take an 11" clutch but I have yet to compare it to a Chevy bell housing. Since I'm already adding about 8 lbs of rotating mass by using the big flywheel I don't want to add a few more pounds of clutch and pressure plate to the mix. I certainly don't need that much clutch with a four banger in a light car. I could just make a less cool flat  adapter and use a stock Chevy bell and the 153 tooth flywheel, but that is too easy.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version