Author Topic: Pickup question  (Read 3997 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Pickup question
« on: October 22, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
As I said earlier, I am building a chassis for a 47 to 54 Chevy pickup using an S10 frame and Code 504 mounting kit.  I like the looks of the 1947 in this picture, but is this a special model to have the bullet headlights on top of the fenders?  When I look for pics, most have headlights built into the front.  I like the bullets best.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:48:47 PM by TFoch »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: Pickup question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
post the picture as a JPG not everybody can download that file........I cannot open it.

hairball

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 07:51:49 PM »
I couldn't load pic either earlier. Much, that is the AK series 1941-46.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:54:49 PM »
I uploaded it as a jpeg for him.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
Sorry for the picture but thanks for the info.  Looks like they made them in 1947 as well, but it says it is based on a car frame.  I wonder if the cabs are interchangeable with the 3100.  I do like the lights and grille and would like to put one on my build.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
They kept that style until mid-'48 when the AD came out.  There may have bees some minor grill changes. Cabs were the same from '39 to mid '48 and from 1/2 ton to at least 2 ton but larger trucks had bigger wheel cut outs on the fenders.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
They kept that style until mid-'48 when the AD came out.  There may have bees some minor grill changes. Cabs were the same from '39 to mid '48 and from 1/2 ton to at least 2 ton but larger trucks had bigger wheel cut outs on the fenders.
Thanks Sixball, the Code 504 mounting kit says it will work with a 1947 - 1955 1st series pickup so I sent them the question if it will work with the AK as well.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
Does anyone know if the front fenders and grille on an AK series are interchangeable with a 3100 series?  I searches the internet, but no luck.

Thanks

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
Munch, I'm not sure because I'm not sure what an AK is. I didn't know mine was a AD until I read it on line somewhere. But, I'm pretty sure that front clips from '39 to early '48 will interchange as a unit. The larger trucks with bigger wheels have larger wheel cut outs. All of these trucks up to at least 2 ton ran the 216 six, a much maligned old work horse, except some which had an early 235. So engine bay was the same size.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 12:17:08 PM »
Sixball, this is what I found online:

The Chevrolet AK Series truck was a light duty truck sold under the Chevrolet brand, with production beginning in 1941 until 1947. It used the GM A platform, shared with the Chevrolet Deluxe. The AK series was also branded and sold at GMC locations, with the primary visual difference being the Chevrolet had vertical bars in the grille, while the GMC had horizontal bars. The 1941-45 GMC models were sold as C-Series and became the E-Series for the 1946 and 1947 model years (CC-Series / EC-Series for the conventional cab models and CF-Series / EF-Series for the COE ones).[1]
The AK series represented an appearance split from previous Chevrolet products where the passenger cars and pickup trucks shared a common appearance, as demonstrated in the Chevrolet Master truck. The Chevrolet Deluxe was an all-new appearance when it was introduced in 1941, and shared much of its mechanicals with the third generation Chevrolet Suburban.
It was replaced with the Advance-Design, that was also sold as a GMC.
The truck used by the Creeper in the Jeepers Creepers film franchise is a 1941 model of the Chevrolet AK Series COE truck.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
Does anyone know if the front fenders and grille on an AK series are interchangeable with a 3100 series?  I searches the internet, but no luck.

Thanks

Munch, they are not interchangeable. The AD series is quite a bit wider cab (mostly at the front cowl/firewall area), than the earlier AK series. It would take a really good metal fabricator to do that. (Very expensive). 

My buddy Shane is building an AK pickup right now. I could catch him sometime and measure across where fenders meet cab and hood at cowl width for you compare on the AD pickup.

An article on AD design and concept.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/History

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »

Thanks

Thanks Sammons

Munch, they are not interchangeable. The AD series is quite a bit wider cab (mostly at the front cowl/firewall area), than the earlier AK series. It would take a really good metal fabricator to do that. (Very expensive). 

My buddy Shane is building an AK pickup right now. I could catch him sometime and measure across where fenders meet cab and hood at cowl width for you compare on the AD pickup.

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 07:33:32 PM »
FWIW I discovered the headlights on my '39 sedan are not the ones that are suppose to be there.  The ones on it now are longer.  I suspect that various parts from other vehicles will fit just nicely on something else.  Got to be careful when restoring but just call it a street rod and do anything you like. 

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 10:01:14 AM »

Thanks

Sammons, does your buddy have any problems finding body parts for his build or is there repops available?  Send pictures if you can.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 10:18:39 AM »
Munch, around here there are quite a few '41-46 chevy trucks. The scrap drive a few years back thinned it a bit, but still see them sitting in shelterbelt trees on farms. The main thing around here that gets bent up is the grilles. Several aftermarket companies are reproducing them for under $800.  Straight rear fenders are tough to find here. Most are beat, some have big rear bumpers welded to them, but fiberglass is availible. Shane got tired of looking and bought a pair from Speedway Motors and was happy with them.

I'll see if he is home this after noon when it warms up and get some picks. He is in the middle of the project but had it out on a test drive several weeks ago. He usually doesn't finish out interior or exterior much, then sells them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:20:57 AM by sammons »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal