Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 156764 times)

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #1290 on: May 20, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
That's pretty impressing, sammons, to get done over the phone!

Today was an efficent day, I got some things done, which always
feels good afterwards.

Me and the wife were shopping for some things for the garden when
I had just parked the Pontiac in a fun way. I just couldn't not snap a pic of it.

Didn't do much, bit it's kinda car related, right?

Here's mostly a tip for making an oil primer tool of sorts. A bit of allthread, I think it's
M10, but 3/8" UNC will work the same, and a piece of half inch-ish
water pipe. The pipe keeps the allthread from walking out off the oil pump axle.

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
« Reply #1291 on: May 20, 2023, 05:16:56 PM »
Continuing off my previous post.
Your's truly hoisting a mostly optically refreshed engine into the engine bay of the Caprice.

Here's a before and after pic of the three-oh-five.
After removing a good size shopping bag or two filled with pumps, hoses, wiring and looms,
relays, air conditioning stuff. AIR pump, more hoses, the engine looks much tidier than it did before.
Paint and Edelbrock valve covers help too.

The ECU, electric Rochester Quadrajet and distributor are removed, and instead we have a
600 cfm Holley and a points distributor from the sixties.

Oh, I changed the transmission fluid today too... What a Royal mess! I can't see the point of
not having a plug in the tranny oil pan...

What IS this??? (torque converter bolts is  what they are) When you crawl under this 1984 Caprice, you have to bring ALL the tools.
I'm not used to working with metric tools on my cars, this was a surprise to me.

I've used 7, 10, 13, 15 and 17 mm sockets and box wrenches. Very... odd.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 05:22:16 PM by Essex_29 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #1292 on: May 20, 2023, 10:15:41 PM »
Anytime I change the engine oil on a GM car now...I bring the 15mm box wrench!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1293 on: May 22, 2023, 12:07:50 AM »
Over the weekend I volunteered recovery for another race,  different organization (USRA) .
Friday night I went out after work. Hour and a half drive and slept in the jeep.  6am the next morning I went to the main tent and met up with the other track workers.  Spent the day doing various things and helped assist a call (rider with a broken arm) but lost the 2 UTV's I was following.  Other rider's were catching up and passing me,  so I decided to get off the course.  Another utv was where I pulled off.  They knew nothing of the hurt rider.  But then another rider approached us saying his face was bleeding from a crash.  I had a first aid kit,  cleaned up the cut and applied a tape stich.  With the strobes turned on I followed/guided him back to an ambulance a mile away.  On the radio with the pits letting them know of the situation and bike number.  Also assisting another ambulance in a sandy area,  just incase it got stuck.
Busy day, about 6 riders were hurt or exhausted.
Did get some good video though. Left there about 6pm.
Today, sunburnt and wore out I stayed inside and edited videos.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 12:09:25 AM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1294 on: May 23, 2023, 05:26:39 PM »
Essex, those engines sure look better when they are stripped down to basics! I remember '78/'79when Gm/Ford started that metric conversion.  Some were, some weren't, but yet still sae thread🙄  You had to have both sets ready to pull the sheet metal off. Finaly my Mac tool man come up with a double meteric/standard 1/4" socket set box cheap enough. Sure beat having to get both boxes out to dissasemble a front clip. Think i give $18 for the new empty Mac box.

Rattiac, good on you. Well at least you we not bored with nothing to do.

My brother and his wife are flying out here the 1st of June, so i'll get my pickup oil changed. They need the pickup to drive out to Branson for a quick visit with stepdad. Then i'll have him fix stuff around my house i can't do anymore before he flys back 😁

My old chair bound neighbor across the street died yesterday. Been in and out the hospital last several months with Pnemonia/diabetic and septic bed sores on his butt from never getting out of the scooter🤯 I was talking to my neighbor next door, worried what/who would take over his trailer house and garage. He told me to settle down...that he had bought his place last summer and was just letting him live there as long as he was able. 😁 Gonna get the trailer torn down and hauled off next month.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1295 on: May 28, 2023, 10:45:43 PM »
Got my '53 pickup back on the road today. Last summer I parked it with a fuel delivery problem. No trash in the line/filter. Fuel lines clean & good. No fuel or air leaks. Two new mechanical pumps, one used and one new electric pump. Gas cap venting.

I finally pulled the tank yesterday. Several years ago my friend Vic and I were setting it up for TBI and we put a return line to the tank that used an after market fuel gauge float fixture that had an in tank pickup for an electric pump. We made the pickup work for the return. Vic left the filter sock on it when he assembled it and it came loose. It was floating around in the tank and when the pump was pulling hard it got sucked it over the stock outlet in the bottom of the tank and restricted the flow. Just Vic reaching out from the grave screwing with me.  :o  :) ON the road again just income for the show I missed last year because of this problem!  8)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1296 on: May 29, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »
Nice engine swap Essex. 👍

Sixball:::;
Good to hear the truck is running again. 

I was able to work on the 32 a bit.  Thought I had the trans crossmember ready to go in.  It just needs to go back 3/8" but of course something else is in the way.  The old battery bracket is riveted on.  Need to figure out how I get the cutoff wheel in there.
I have PTSD.

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
« Reply #1297 on: June 05, 2023, 04:36:23 PM »
Thank you Rattiac!
Though it's not really an engine swap, I just checked a main bearing, washed the oil pump,
put in new crank seals, and cleaned it up.

I finally got the new exhausts done on the Chevy. This whole car was supposed to be done in a
couple week,s but... No.

I found a pair of exhaust tips for a Volkswagen for about $20 and cut them apart. The black hole
in the paint on the tailgate is from me removing a big round 80-decal. This wagon is registered
as a light truck, which was a way to get around car tax in Finland in the eighties and nineties.
With a light truck you weren't allowed to drive faster than 80 kph ( 50 mph). Today the
maximum speed is 75 mph for all cars and light trucks.

New brakes in the works too.
I found rotors for a decent price in Germany and ordered them the same  day as I ordered a bunch
of stuff from ROckauto. Funny thing is the parts from America arrived in less than a week, but the
German parts took ten days.

Today I got the fuel pump for the Chevrolet, and a new ignition coil for the '57 Pontiac, it had cracked
and sparks were running along the crack when the coil warmed up.

Seems I order parts from America every few weeks lately. They arrive fast, and prices are relatively good.
A brake rotor for a Ford Granada costs some  $35 at Rockauto and $96 freight and tax paid. Locally
the price is €139 ($148.90). Yes, American car parts are expensive here.

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
« Reply #1298 on: June 12, 2023, 03:40:00 PM »
Slowly getting there. I took the Caprice for a spin yesterday. The engine runs so nicely. For some reason
I have hydroboost on this car, I thought just diesel cars had those. I have tried to bleed the steering
box, but there's no brake boosting going on. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The brakes are
horrible now, it takes a lot of effort and time to get the wagon stopped from 30 mph...

When I came back home I took a look under the hood, and noticed water coming up out of the intake in
the right hand rear corner, behind the #8 cylinder intake.
Deep sigh, and the car back in and start wrenching. When I got the intake off, it became apparent that
this all actually was a good thing, because there was two or more cubic inches of burned oil deposits in
the lifter gallery. This had fallen down from the heat risers. So getting this mechanically cleaned off sure
beats washing it away with engine oil over time. I assume this would have destroyed the bearings and
the pump. I have plugged the egr, and will run it with a somewhat correct ignition timing. I assume this
engine has run with way late ignition timing, to get so hot as to burn the oil like that, and also very rich,
since the plugs were very sooty.

So, if you know anything about hydro boost, any help is appreciated.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1299 on: June 17, 2023, 11:15:35 PM »
Got to work on the 32 a bit.  I think I have the crossmember where I want it.  Had to cut that rivet out.  Could barely get the tool in there. 
Also needed to work on the truck.  P0305.  Plugs and coil(s) 😟. Im used to 1 coil not 8.  Looks simple enough. 
Trying to stay home during the heat and "Burden high gas prices season". Use this time to get something car related done. 
My dad has had some stomach issues since his retirement.  I guess Moab wasn't such a good idea. Been Onry and distant.
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1300 on: June 24, 2023, 09:16:16 PM »
Essex, don't know squat about hydroboost. But worked on a lot of late 70s early 80s Olds 98s, gas engines with hydroboosts. I thought it was a diesel thing too until then.
Sure like to have a set of 10" Rallys like you have on the back. (At least they look 10" wide in the pic)

Rattiac glad you got a little something done on the 32. Hope your dad gets over his issues and out of that funk.

While my brother was here he got the Silverado all serviced, repaired some things and a good cleaning inside and out.
Also helped me with mower repairs, got my chainsaw running after 7yrs. Cut down 2 small trees, Tom came over and they teamed up to cut down 2 big ones. He got on my roof and tightened all the metal screws, recalked all my vents and cleaned out my gutters. Then he unpluggef my kitchen sink drain and put me in a cleanout outside.

Kept him busy with stuff i couldn't do myself. Just kept telling me put that down and get out of the way.😁

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1301 on: June 25, 2023, 12:25:15 AM »
Do you rent him out?
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1302 on: June 27, 2023, 06:51:53 PM »
Lol, he probably wouldn't be cheap.😁 Although he is 1000 miles closer to you.

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
« Reply #1303 on: July 04, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
Yes sammons they are 10" wide, they're cheapo fake rallye wheels, but they do look
great on the wagon.

I gave up with the hydroboost and ordered a new vacuum brake booster from Rockauto, along
with some service parts for my points distributor. Brakes are now just perfect.
I finally got the Caprice mot tested last friday, so now it's street legal and on the road for the
first time since 2007. It drives like no boxy body GM car I've ever had, and I think I've had 12
of them. Feels like driving a Cadillac (though, I never drove one, so just guessing).
I replaced the water pump in today, so now it runs  real quiet.

Hoping to get back on the Buick project soon, this silly side project has taken way too long already.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #1304 on: July 04, 2023, 06:24:23 PM »
Nice looking wagon!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal